Il Giglio Hotel and Restaurant
US$647
US$596
Castello Banfi - Il Borgo(Montalcino)
US$648
US$635
La Locanda del Castello(San Giovanni d'Asso)(Great Value!)
US$196
US$147
US$5,711
All reviewscakesthe main hotellovely hotelno elevatoryogurtsmall townfabulous viewstuscan countrysidewine cellargracious hostsfree parkingmichelebrunellowinesmeatsapartmentfort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I really enjoyed staying here. Decorated in the most traditional way. It was great. We had spectacular views across the countryside from our room. The breakfast was delicious - again overlooking gorgeous vineyards and with homemade delights. Also parking is included with the room. They were so helpful and with everything. Would highly recommend. We stayed in Room 7 and there was a noisy extractor fan in the bathroom. This is the only reason that i didn't give 5 stars.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at this lovely hotel 11 years ago and I had always wanted to return. We were able to stay in room 1 where we had stayed before which has a lovely terrace with a view. The room is fairly small but it has everything one needs including a comfortable bed. Breakfast was cereal, fruit, croissants, meats, cheese, juice and the most delicious breakfast cakes that Anna bakes. Also, there is a fantastic restaurant just across the street from the hotel. It was so great to see that Montalcino had not changed a lot in the past 11 years, although there are more shops. The wines are fantastic our favorite being the the Rosso de Montalcino.

Room Tip: Room 1 for the spacious terrace.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We used this hotel as a one night stay on a cycling tour of Tuscany. Our bikes were stored in a lock up nearby. The hotel itself is moderate but quite sufficient. I would not want to stay here longer than a couple of nights. Service is indifferent, for example there is no lift and as our room (room 9 I think) was up two sets of stairs, we were given no help in moving our bags up when we arrived after cycling 60 miles. In fact as our bags has been delivered that afternoon, a nice touch would have been to put them in our room ahead of arrival. The room was modest with a off "half bath" which involved sitting on a shelf and using a shower!
The saving grace for this hotel is that our room had the best view I have ever seen from a hotel. I will add a photo to this review. I woke my son up in the morning at dawn to say that he may never see a view like it again. Mist and dawn colours over the hills of Tuscany with swallows sweeping through the sky on the dawn air currents. I can forgive every other little niggle in light of that, but make sure you get a room at the rear, on the cliff edge - with a view.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room at the rear, on the cliff edge - with a view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TravellingGrocer
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel during a wedding weekend recently and absolutely loved it. The whole atmosphere of the place is lovely, with old wooden and stone-caved furnishings and beautiful views of the Tuscan hills around. Rooms are perfectly sized, are very clean and have almost a cave-like feeling (in a good way). Breakfast was very good, with several choices of home-made cakes, pastries, local cheeses and sausages etc. Staff were helpful and took care of parking of our (very large) rental car. The only down-point for me was the hard mattress, although my partner found it nice. Location of the hotel is perfect, just a stones throw from the main square of the little town. Absolutely recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Megselv123
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed at Giglio one night. Montalcino is very small, but it is lovely and worth a stop. If you do stop there, I highly recommend staying at Giglio. Based on other reviews, we requested room 1 and were not disappointed --the views are truly breathtaking. The room itself is small (but typical for Italy), but very cozy, well furnished and appointed and truly lovely. The terrace is gorgeous, with nice patio furniture, huge, blossoming hydrangeas and the best view I've ever seen.

We dined at the restaurant there and it was one of our very best meals in Italy. The food is outstanding (try the truffle pasta and the stuffed zucchini). We also really enjoyed speaking with the host (I believe he is the son who owns the hotel with his parents.) He was very knowledgeable about the food and the wine and graciously conversed with us in English.

I read the other reviews in which people complained that the hosts were unfriendly and/or rude. While they may not be as effusive as B&B hosts one encounters in this country, I found them to be perfectly pleasant and helpful. They booked a wine tasting at Poggio Antico for us (which I highly recommend --Danilo was a fantastic tour guide) and provided really wonderful accommodations.

Room Tip: Ask for room #1. The views are spectacular!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple