We had looked at this hotel on line before a trip to Tuscany and discounted it since it was just so expensive. However, one lunchtime we found ourselves in the wine shop enjoying some tastings, chatting to the staff and soaking up the amazing views and enjoyed ourselves so much we thought, what the hell, went on the ipad using their free Wi-Fi and booked a room for the next two days (we had one night left at our hotel in Montalcino). I booked the most reasonably priced room that they had but cheekily said in the email that we were making the booking from their wine shop and was there any chance of an upgrade.
The next day we drove back feeling very excited (no problem finding it this time!) and checked in. Glass of sparkling wine pressed into our hands, lovely friendly staff checking us in. One of them said - we noticed you asked for an upgrade and we do actually have a better room available for the next two nights so we have put you in that one - I was surprised, very pleased and a little bit embarrassed, but hey why not!!
Our bags were taken care of and we were shown around the beautiful and perfectly formed hotel and grounds. On to our room - which turned out to be a fantastic suite of rooms - 2 huge bathrooms, a lovely sitting room and large bedroom with fantastic views. The fridge contained complimentary chocolates, half a bottle of sparkling wine and a sweet pink wine. We were also given a complimentary half bottle of red wine. I later found out that we had actually been given a triple upgrade!
Back to the hotel. The swimming pool area was lovely, nice seating, fabulous views. Complimentary water was available nearby. Breakfast was served near the pool and there was a fantastic selection - hot choices cooked to order - fantastic omelettes. At 7 every evening there was a complimentary wine hour in the library. A waiter was on hand to served red, white or sparkling wines, canapés were available. It was a lovely chilled experience - board games and books available - a nice way to spend a civilised hour before dinner. We had the tasting menu at the restaurant the first night - the food was exquisite - it was all just so perfectly done - the wine amazing. We decided to go back the next night because despite the cost we just did not want to leave the Banfi bubble until we had to.
It was a dream of a stay - when we left we felt like we had been there much longer than two nights - but not long enough! It was expensive but it was worth every single penny and I am so so glad that we stayed there. It is a hotel in a million - but it would not be the place it is without the incredible staff
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury Wine Resort in the famous Brunello di Montalcino Wine Region-Extraordinary Countryside Tuscan Experience-Nestled against a Medieval Castle located in the middle of a privately owned 7100 acres Nice&professional staff very knowledgeable of the best attractions of the area-Extremely large bedrooms and bathrooms, both with great views-Very Exclusive Property consisting of only 2 Deluxe Rooms and 12 Suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Castello Banfi - Il Borgo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castello Banfi - Il Borgo Hotel Montalcino
- Castello Banfi Il Borgo Montalcino