“its a treat”
Review of Tannery Restaurant

Tannery Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 46 Restaurants in Dungarvan
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Tannery Restaurant, Dungarvan, Co Waterford. Modern Irish Cooking. Chef/Owner Paul Flynn.
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have only been to the Tannery twice but both times have been well worth the money. There evening menu is expensive, but the food is fab. The restaurant itself is lovely and though it is expensive it is not pretentious but serves beautiful, different food from the run of the mill restaurants. The service is friendly and professional. I have also had the Sunday lunch with my family and the children's meals are actually fantastic value and not just the normal easy options that children are usually offered.
I would recommend the Tannery but especially as a treat

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Paul and Maire Flynn were approaching the end of a long weekend of wining and dining at the Dungarvan Food Festival when we descended upon them; yet they and their team could not have been more hospitable. This is an exceptional restaurant; think delicious local ingredients, wonderful cooking, great wines and terrific service.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This was our first visit to the Tannery - every year - at some stage - we treat ourselves to a break at the magical Cliff House hotel at Ardmore.

Last year, we tried to get in but I think it was closed on the day that we wanted. This year, we were down in County Waterford with friends over from England and we booked dinner for a Wednesday night. It was surprisingly and gratifyingly busy.

The food here is not artwork on a plate - it is satisfyingly sizeable portions of the best of local produce, cooked with care and skill by the chef patron, Paul Flynn, and his team.

Notables were the Helvick Crab crème brulee, the Monkfish cooked on the bone, the Scallops and the Rabbit. To drink, we had two bottles of very good Austrian Gruner Veltinger.

The service was friendly, professional and efficient and we admired how well a team of just two people managed to look after a busy service, particularly as the restaurant is on the first floor and the kitchens are on the ground floor.

The restaurant itself is open-plan modern but it does not appear to be soullessly large and impersonal [as some describe it], with a main dining space and then a return with further tables to the right of the staircase.

It was a faultless and very enjoyable evening, enhanced by taking home a copy of Mr Flynn's latest cookbook Surf & Turf, which will give us some great memories.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

As Máire Flynn topped up our champagne glasses in the Tannery's buzzing wine bar, we started to totally relax after separate car journeys across the country. Friday evening and the restaurant was hopping. We dined in the stylish calm of the restaurant upstairs, looked after warmly by Máire, Daniel, and their very professional wait staff. It was the Mammy's birthday, so an excuse for a girly night away for herself, my sister and I. We are still talking about the food! I'm dreaming about the confit chicken ravioli, and they are busily trying to recreate the glazed short rib of beef- they haven't a hope! We stayed in the uber-chic townhouse, which really impressed my hotel-phobic sister, and the only trouble we had was dragging ourselves out of the comfort zone on Saturday morning, eh, afternoon! just a fantastic experience all round!

1  Thank Fionnuala H
Reviewed 5 April 2014

What I liked about the food in the Tannery is that it is not trying to be something its not- he is not after a michelin star so there is no pomp or deconstruction going on - its just simple food,really well cooked that tastes fantastic. We ate upstairs and tables were on the borderline of comfort for me in terms of closeness to your neighbour - but thats just my personal opinion - i like a bit of space behind my chair!! Staff were friendly but busy so we did have to call them once or twice- in saying that though, everyone had a few words of chat for us- maitre d, owners wife - making the whole experience a very personable one. I ordered from two different menus and this was no issue. We stayed in the Tannery town house which was just across the road from the restaurant - i would highly recommend this if you are visiting the area- very clean, modern,tea, coffee, mini fridge in your room. Staff were very noisy when leaving the breakfast muffins in the morning- woke me up, but this is minor and the couple of hours we spent drinking coffee, reading our kindles and eating our muffins dispelled any annoyance. A really great evening/night - would definitely recommend.