“Our ONE AND ONLY unpleasant experience of Irish hospitality.”
Review of Bayside

Bayside
Bayside
Ranked #10 of 16 Dungarvan B&B and Inns
Rensselaer, Indiana
“Our ONE AND ONLY unpleasant experience of Irish hospitality.”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

My family and I recently stayed at the Bayside in Dungarvan. This was our fifth night in Ireland. The home was lovely, the view was beautiful but our welcome was anything but warm.
Upon our arrival, we were told by our hostess that she does not normally open before Easter. Understandable. I don't usually travel during Easter myself. She proceeded to tell us that she wasn't ready for the season and she had family coming for Easter and kept repeating that she wasn't ready and didn't usually open so early.
The house was on the list for our vouchers. We made the reservations LAST FALL. She could have contacted us and explained the situation prior to March and we would have happily made other arrangements. Telling us this upon our arrival, just before dark on Good Friday was not the time to tell us this. Without outright saying so, she made it quite plain that she didn't want us there and would like us to leave which was impossible at that point. We had no idea if there was another B & B that accepted vouchers in the area, nor were we familiar with the area and it was almost dark. She made us feel very unwelcome. We left for dinner, came back and went to bed trying to be as unobtrusive as possible. In the morning, she was as unfriendly as she was when we arrived while taking orders for breakfast. There was no chit chat, advise for our trip or warm farewell. It was such a relief to be leaving!
As I said, the accommodations were lovely but the hospitality left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
PatN308, Owner at Bayside, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Guests are always welcome at Bayside as were the group represented in the review, who occuppied 2 rooms.The booking was made on 8th.Dec.'12 - post Fall.
On your arrival, the host as a courtesy, updated you on what was happening in-house - family arriving for Easter and the recent reopening of the house for the 2013 season. Somehow this was misinterpreted to mean that you should leave - an issue that would never be contemplated, in any shape or form.
We were pleased to host guests from Indiana. It was nice of you to make 2 entries in our Visitors Book saying,"Thank you." It is disappointing that you did not see fit to address your concerns while in-house rather than later, at a remove.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Oxnard, California
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We traveled to Ireland in October 2012 and decided to not pre-reserve rooms for every night. After arriving in Waterford at 5pm on our first day of driving the Emerald Island, we called the Bayside B&B. We were glad to find they had a double room available because we did not know if rooms were easily available at this time of year. The 68EUR room rate was reasonable for the second floor room with pretty views of the bay. Our main issue was not having bar soap available and the shower gel didn’t seem to do a good job cleansing. Nothing else about this property was memorable so we can only give it an average rating.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
PatN308, Owner at Bayside, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Thanks for staying at Bayside. Bar soap was not available but liquid handwash soap in a dispenser was. The shower gel was the product of a highly reputable international company. I guess the reason there are so many shower gels available is that everyone would'nt like just one particular one.
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I was lucky enough to stay 4 nights at Bayside B & B last week. The home is immaculate, the bed comfortable and the breakfast good and cooked to order. Sheila recommended a bar further down to road where I got wonderful hand made pizza while sitting and looking out at Dungarvan Bay. Pat cooked great breakfasts every morning and helped me find my way about Dungarvan and it's surroundings. My favorite: eating my breakfast while looking out at the bay-I could sit there all day. There were no false statements in the B & B book-you'll love it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Peggy C
PatN308, Owner at Bayside, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Thank you for staying at Bayside and for your kind words. We were happy to help you in your ancestral search.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Out of 7 so far in our 3 week trip, this has been the most beautiful and comfortable of them all! The home AND the grounds are immaculate and everything is in place. Quiet luxury and breakfast was delicious. Wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shirley S
PatN308, Owner at Bayside, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Thank you for your review which is much appreciated. It's nice to know that we get it right some of the time eventhough we endeavour to gett it right all of the time.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Sheila and Patrick are wonderful hosts. My husband and I felt very much at home staying at the Bayside. In fact, we liked it so much that on our second day, we extended our stay with them instead of moving to a B&B closer to the Cork Airport for our last night.

The location is fantastic. It's quiet with a beautiful view, but just a very short drive (5-10 minutes) to downtown. There is a walking / biking trail nearby, and if I am not mistaken, it would be possible to walk to the town center from the B&B using the trail for a good part of the walk.

Our room was very comfortable, very clean and had a lovely view of the bay. The decor is modern, not fussy. Breakfast was excellent -- the eggs were always perfect and there was a great assortment of fruit, cereal, yogurt, cheese, etc. Coffee from a French press -- Heaven!

Sheila's attention to detail was notable. We had some leftover wine, which we had set on the vanity when we checked in. When we returned to our room at the end of the day -- wine glasses had been provided. On our last night, extra coffee makings were provided in our room, which was much appreciated during the morning when we were packing.

Finally: My recently acquired bronchitis had morphed into a sinus infection and I needed to see a doctor to get an antibiotic fast before our flight out. Sheila kindly recommended a great doctor in convenient location in downtown Dungarvan and made an appointment for me. This allowed me to take just a short break from family research at the Dungarvan Library and get the meds I needed. Left to my own devices, I probably would have wasted half the day finding a good doc then finding their office.

I highly recommend the Bayside and we will stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carolyn D
, Owner at Bayside, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to write the review. Town centre is 45mins.brisk walk, two miles of which is along the seafront. Breakfast should always be good when it is cooked to order.If we can help with any problem we are delighted to do so. Good luck with your ancestral research. Pat & Sheila.
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I agree with the other reviews as the B&B has beautiful views and is very clean. I was disappointed that the proprietor did not explain to me that I would be charged the full room rate for two rooms if we did not stay there the 2nd night, I mistakenly booked. I booked two nights online when I really meant to book one. If I had known we would have stayed. Instead I come home to an email a week later informing me of the $113 charge to my credit card. Beware of a passive aggressive hostess.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan M
PatN308, Owner at Bayside, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Susan,through B&B Ireland on 22nd.April'12, booked 2 rooms for 2 nights commencing 13th.June'12. The booking and cancellation policy were confirmed to her by email from B&B Ireland. Susan & family arrived on the evening of 13th.June'12 and announced that they would not be staying the second night, alleging an error had been made in the booking. She had possession of the reservation details for over 6 weeks but did nothing to correct it until arriving. There was no apology for not availing of the 2 rooms for the second night ,which had been reserved for her for 6 weeks, which could have otherwise been made available to other guests. As the cancellation was not in accordance with the cancellation policy,B&B Ireland made the credit card deduction. In this case the proprietor cannot be held responsible for the negligence of the client.
Vestavia Hills, Alabama
Reviewed 30 May 2012

My mom and I are staying at Bayside tonight. I am writing this review as mom sleeps and I am sitting on this comfortable bed. The linens are fresh as the sea air and pressed! Can't wait for breakfast tomorrow. We were welcomed with hot tea and a wonderful homemade lemon coffee cake. Would love to stay here the whole time we are in Ireland.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank jowill_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dungarvan
Park Hotel & Leisure Centre
#4 of 16 in Dungarvan
No photo provided
Ashley Guesthouse
#15 of 16 in Dungarvan

Been to Bayside? Share your experiences!