“Great Food. Great Owners”
Review of 800 BC Coffee House - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
800 BC Coffee House
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I visited here a few weeks ago with some Friends and wasn't Disappointed. Immediately as you walk in through the front door you feel so welcome. I loved the sofas where you could sit down relax and rewind, most definitely visiting again.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This Coffee House has 3 tables outside capable of catering for 12-15 people. We sat at the least messy table with just 3 cups and saucers and 2 side plates previously used. The other tables were carnage, 1 in particular with the remnants of 4 bowl salads, side plates and coffee cups/saucers. previously used.

Very slow and feeble attempts were made to clear these tables in the 15 minutes we sat there, only our table being cleared when we were served. It was Bank Holiday (5th May) dry, warm weather, heaving with pedestrians, many of whom paused then changed their minds, obviously wishing to sit outside in the rarity of a dry, warm Bank Holiday Monday.

This was passing trade and an opportunity for the proprietors to add to their income in a business that enjoys only around 9 months trade at a push. I had a quiet 'bet' with my Wife that as soon as the tables were cleared, more customers would sit down. And that is precisely what happened prior to our leaving.

This place was awarded Café of the year? How did that happen? Your lack of attendance to those customers was lost takings. Are you already earning more than you need?? I for one, in my first ever visit to Matlock Bath wouldn't bother with 800 BC again. By the way; I rarely write a view on Trip Advisor and certainly NEVER BEFORE a negative one. I am not a serial moaner or critic. Nor do I anymore own a Café /Restaurant with outdoor seating, as I did some time ago, in Spain, where I had to work hard for a living, not expect the customers to turn up no matter what, as I was not in a popular tourists/Day Trippers resort.

1  Thank will195162
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Friendly, Clean, Very fair prices, Good quality a little gem in a busy Derbyshire Tourist area,What more do you need! If you need a quick snack and drink ideal if you are passing through the village on the A6 Parking is allowed outside for 1 hour, just enough time without rushing.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

This is a Coffee House on the main street, but it is nice and peaceful inside. The food is good with plenty of home made on the menu - and the prices are very resonable. I had a jacket and the side salad it came with was very good with lots of variety in it, not the usual one bit of lettice and a slice of tomato! Food was freshly prepared for you - but there was no long wait - a place to return to.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

The staff were very friendly and welcoming and I asked about a nearby attraction and a member of staff took me out side and pointed to where it was. My boyfriend ordered a latte and a full English breakfast and he said it was delicious, I ordered a Jacket potato with cheese and beans and it was delicious and the servings are very generous. We both left feeling very full and satisfied