“Great Weekend Despite the Bank Holiday Weather” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Temple

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Matlock Bath
The Temple
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Matlock Bath
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great Weekend Despite the Bank Holiday Weather”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I must say that this hotel really lived up to its reputation, despite the awful Bank Holiday Weather…It was a pleasure to stay there, and the staff couldn't be more pleasant, and its right in the bustle of Matlock Bath. We will certainly be going back there soon. many thanks to this lovely , clean hotel!!

Room Tip: Just ask for a front bedroom
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank calvinshaw69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Although it does need quite a bit of TLC and agree with another reviewer that it is a bit pricy for being a bit run down. We had a king room which advertises a king bed but it isn't what we would call a king, a lovely size room though which had a nice feel and hubby enjoyed the biscuits with his cuppa. The staff were very pleasant and it's in a lovely quiet spot and a quick walk into town although a very steep walk. All in all we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

average hotel, needs refurbishing inside and out, very clean, friendly staff nothing too much trouble, the breakfast was excellent, good quality food. A bit on the expensive side for a room that needed refurbishment.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Colne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

lovely hotel with good sized bedroom and bathroom. Lovely furnishings and Friendly staff and a good breakfast served with a smile. Nice clean rooms and no problem parking the car. Lovely views from my bedroom. Nice bar too and just a short walk into town

Room Tip: Room two very nice and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carolpete5
Oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I travelled to Matlock Bath for business, but enjoyed a relaxing stay in this family run hotel. The little linear town is land-locked and confined by the steep sided Derwent Valley, yet I could almost smell the ocean as it caused me to remember the seaside town in which I attended school as a child in the late sixties - down to the rock shops, amusement emporiums and tquirky fish and chip restaurants.

It's an incline and a half to get from the railway station and main road to The Temple Hotel - about a ten minute walk, if you know the short-cuts. The hotel is a period building and from the use of golden ratios, at a guess, I would place it to mid-Georgian 1770. It is said to have been a guest house to Lord Byron and Victoria as a princess.

My room was modest, with an en suite, but with a lovely view down to the Derwent and up to the Heights of Abraham. I was comfortable, care-free and satisfied.

Wifi worked efficiently when needed, good reception on the digital TV, adequate facilities for a cup of tea with biscuits whilst watching shadows of clouds dance across the tree clad valley.

Check in was fast, friendly and I was shown to my room by the duty receptionist.

I'd return to this hotel - but I'd bring good walking boots next time, allowing time to build a thirst for the seventeenth century pub at the heart of the town.

I'd even recommend this hotel to my parents.

Room Tip: A front facing room affords a wonderful view over the town and to the hills beyond.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Relentlessvoyager
Epsom, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

A friend and I stayed here for the weekend. We were alarmed when we drove up that it was a long way down to the 'town' however we soon found the shortcut and it was easy. Good sized bedroom, well furnished and clean with an excellent bathroom with bath and shower. The bar feels more like a pub rather than a 'faceless' hotel bar and there was some lively conversation with the locals. The breakfast provided a very good choice including veggie options. It is clear the friendly owners have a massive refurbishment project and the work done is tasteful and in keeping with the age and character of the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

So if you like quirky, you may like this hotel. Obviously many people have. I prefer professional from the staff and comfortable from the accommodation, neither of which I got on my stay here.
The hotel no longer does any food in the evening. There is no proper reception. Much of the fabric of the building is scruffy, although there is clearly refurbishment taking place. The furnishing looks quite expensive (although a lot spent on some things, no wardrobe, just hangers over the tea tray area) - it appears to me like someone's hobby.
We arrived on a damp, chilly evening. The only member of staff available was the barman. The heating wasn't on in our room and didn't come on until the following morning. The cheery barman offered us a fan heater but then couldn't find it and gave up trying to help. He said that the only person who knew about the heating was the owner and that he couldn't be contacted. So we had a very cold, uncomfortable night. On complaining to the owner on our departure (if indeed it was he), we weren't offered any refund.
On the plus side, the room has a great view with armchairs set in the bay window and the shortbread biscuits were nice.
One more thing, if a hotel or any other building chooses to fly a flag (which is not compulsory) I suggest they fly one that's not in tatters.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank burgess91
ChrisTemple, Owner at The Temple, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
It has come as no surprise to read this review more of a disappointment but we shall respond with reasons and answers for all the points you have brought up.
Before you wrote this response on Trip Advisor you did send us a personal email saying you were surprised that you were sent an automated email asking you to put a review on a website. The review requests are sent out automatically after checkout to all customers who provide an email address. In your email you did tell us that your review wouldn’t be a favourable one but you did want a refund. This we found to be threatening so we chose not to respond at that time. In this email you also make an assumption that we do not keep a log of complaints. As we are a husband and wife team with a small but close team of staff we tend to know what is happening most of the time and try our best to sort any problem as it arises. On the day in question we had taken a group of people to a friend’s 50th birthday party in Nottingham and we arrived back at 2am. Your room was across the corridor from ours and I can assure you that you were asleep at that point. Our very capable barman Keith had left us a note of your dissatisfaction and we went and looked at the heating immediately which obviously did the trick as it came on in your room before you awoke.
On the second evening both of us were in the bar and in your presence but at no point did you discuss your displeasures or your request for a refund with us. On leaving you weren’t actually present but your husband and I discussed the heating situation and he seemed perfectly happy with the explanation that I gave him and once again there was no mention of a refund.
We have taken a decision to remove wardrobes in some of our rooms to make room for seating areas which the majority of our guests prefer. You are quite correct in saying that there is renovation work going on and this will be a long project but we are taking great care to do it correctly. We do try to keep as much of this work away from our guests but this is not always possible. As for the flag we took this down on the first dry day after you departure. I have to walk down the length of a pitched roof to take it down and even though my wife has me well insured I do try to take care.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matlock Bath
#3 of 7 in Bakewell
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge

Been to The Temple? Share your experiences!