“Could do better!”

The Victorian Teashop
Ranked #24 of 34 Restaurants in Matlock Bath
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Fed with everyday cafés wanted to try something different . It looked very appealing and even smelt authentic but the lady serving really let it down. She was too bus talking to obvious friends to take much notice of us. Several people walked in and out again, but still she chatted. We only had a drink which was fine. This place needs to be looked after and it could to very well.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

After visiting Matlock bath a few years and missed going here ( it was closed) I was looking forward to going this time.
We arrived and took a seat... It wasn't busy like we were the only ones in there, the plastic tablecloths were sticky, which was a surprise as I would have thought lace covers would have been more suited.
We ordered cream tea and coffee and cake. Which too be fair were nice but came in standard white cups etc. why not old teapot cups saucers etc?
The whole place had a damp smell and the plastic flowers on the table were dirty and dusty.
Also the other big thing was the toilet ... It was inside but felt like it should be a outside loo, has a rusty manhole cover right in front of the toilet and the door frame is rotting away.
Nice staff but shame about everything else.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stopped here for a quick bite to eat as we'd had a large B&B breakfast and we were eating out in the evening. Service was friendly but the teashop needs some TLC - it smelt a little damp inside and it could use a bit of a tidy and sort out. The food was average - scone good but the sausage roll was probably from a supermarket and it had been microwaved (so was soggy)...our fault for saying we'd like it warm perhaps.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I visited this tea room on 17th April with my son. There was one small table left, crammed into the corner next to a very dusty fake plant. We ordered a cup of tea and a hot chocolate and waited 30 minutes to get served it, I asked the waitress about our drinks and she snapped 'they're coming'.. You would have least expected fine bone china, but we had commercial tableware. I ventured to the toilet, which smelled awful and the louvre door was very thin and you could still hear people in the cafe whilst on the loo. All together not a great experience and not at all authentic.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We visited the tea shop on Saturday 1st March and I had a cream tea which was really nice, the scone was warm and fresh, one of the nicest I have tasted with good portions of jam and clotted cream to go with it.
My husband had soup and he said it could have been a bit hotter but he ate it all anyway!
The cafe has character, it was like going into my Grandmas house when I was a child, very nostalgic. May I suggest that the net curtains have a wash though!