“Different”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I understand what people say about this restaurant, and I am not surprised it has a bimodal distribution, because you are either going to enjoy it or hate it. It is not the best food in the world, nor is it the worst. It can be variable. It is a lovely setting, and it has an air of Italian authenticity about it (though the owner/chef has been in the UK for at least 3 decades). It is worth a visit, and it is perhaps unfair to judge too harshly on the quirks etc of the chef. At least it makes the experience interesting. We ate there recently for the first time for years, and the evening was enjoyable.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Visited on Saturday (3 rd choice) as previous two restaurants in Matlock were full.
Very young and inexperienced waitresses serving re-heated or micro-waved food with little or no resemblance to the menu description.
We both ordered Chicken in a sauce (tomato and basil/garlic for me and Marsala / cream for my wife) both served with over-cooked tagliatelle.
Both sauces did little to disguise pappy-textured slices of chicken breast.
we didn't stay for dessert.
No sign of Salvatori during our brief visit.
We won't be returning.

1  Thank Geoff M
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Just how you want a Pizzeria to be, red check table cloths, long necked bottles of Chianti on show and an Italian chef proprietor call Salvatori. Good atmosphere and solid cooking, no Alforno oven but dough freshly made and pizza cooked in electric oven. House wine was excellent and good value. Salvatori has owned the restaurant for 31 years and is a great host. The front of house leaves a little to be desired, the waitress was well meaning and friendly however needed some training in basic service. Would certainly eat there again.

1  Thank Bigbadbaz_12
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I remember coming here with my oldest Son about 12 years ago, thought it was lovely as we both liked Italian food. All this time later I came on my own to Matlock Bath under unpleasant circumstances and thought I'd come back again to my "lovely Italian". What a joke. The "Italian" owner/chef seems to be more passionate about picking his young schoolgirl waitresses than he does his food and customers. I had calamari for starters, I saw the chef take the bag of calamari out of the freezer, when presented to me the young waitress asked if I wanted dip. I did of course and rather than leave the bowl of dip I got one spoon plonked on my plate and off it went. Veal for mains which tasted ok, vegetables tasted unfresh so probably frozen, sauce not much flavour and no one asked me if everything was ok at any point. So, starter, mains and 2 x Peronis cost me £27 which is mad for just one person with poor quality. The best thing about restaurant were the cute waitresses and certainly not the food. The owner /chef should wake up and retire. The setting and "cave" inside could be a really great restaurant but not with this guy in charge.

1  Thank PianomanRob
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The pasta dish I ordered came missing several of the ingredients listed in the menu. We complained and the chef and waitress came and told us they were in the dish, when they clearly weren't! They didn't offer to change it or give us any money off, so we paid without any more complaint as we didn't want the waitresses (who were nice) to have to lose out because of a lazy chef.

1  Thank Thoughtful_Voyagers