“Lovely staff and nice pizzas but very disappointing pasta”
Review of La Caverna - CLOSED

La Caverna
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had a couple of pizzas, garlic pizza bread and spaghetti vongole. Pizzas and garlic bread were fine, but the spaghetti vongole was dreadful. The clams were obviously not fresh as were not in shells, but worst of all it was like the whole pan of spaghetti - water and all - had been tipped into the bowl! Bland, bland, bland. Very disappointing and will not be returning.
The one saving grace was that the front of house staff were very pleasant and welcoming, it's just a shame the food didn't live up to the same mark.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

The food was good, freshly cooked and well flavoured. Staff were friendly but a bit vague about the menu and wine list.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This restaurant could have it all.....it's a great little location with features which could be worked on. Unfortunately it's not. The menu is far too big, pizzas get burnt so the door stays open to get rid of the smell, it's decor is so in need of an update, the toilets are awful, our tablecloth looked like it hadn't been changed for weeks, the service was painfully slow, the garlic mushrooms were chopped mushrooms in a tin of tomatoes with uncooked onion, the risotto was swimming in some weird liquid....I could go on but I think you get the point. The one positive was the young waitress who really tried so hard and couldn't have been more cheerful. We wish we'd had a bag of chips now.

2  Thank Michele R
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This place looked appealing from the outside,genuine Italian, among a plethora of fish and chip shops. Managed to get a stage side seat to witness a management style not seen since the days of feudalism. Yes, everything that has been written about this man is true, rude and if he is the chef, not fit to wear the hat ( which he doesn't). My wife and I ordered from the special menu, mine a king prawn with linguini, garlic and chilli. The king prawns smelled a bit ' old',( seafood should smell of the sea) the linguini was more like some sort of Japanese noodle, white and very sloppy, lying in the water which the prawns had been cooked in, the chilli and garlic were absent without leave. In a word tasteless in two words absolutely tasteless, no seasoning, no sauce for the pasta. My wife had a chicken, with parma ham, in a sauce. The sauce was a tin of Tesco's basic tomatoes, again no seasoning whatsoever, her side dish of green beans also lay in a pool of water in which they were cooked, the chicken and parma ham, an amorphous mass beneath the chopped tomatoes, however the sauted potatoes which I shared to avoid the hunger pangs (I love pasta but I really could not eat this) were fine. When I suggested to the chef, in my polite way, I was disappointed as both our meals were bland and tasteless, his response ' I can never get it right with you people' well pack it in my friend. I really will only write a review on here for excellent service or awful service, but please avoid this place.
My advice to anyone eating in Matlock Bath is to find the best fish and chip shop.

3  Thank dylan0610
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Hideous and then some.

I have never in my life had to witness such poor treatment of staff whilst attempting to enjoy a meal out with my family. A grown man shouting and swearing at young girls - he should be ashamed.

TAKE MY ADVISE AND NOTE THE OTHER COMMENTS BELOW - IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY ITALIAN FOOD DRIVE A LITTLE FURTHER AND VISIT VIVA IN MATLOCK

5  Thank Lizzieknowsbest