“Wow!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Sutton in Ashfield, United Kingdom
“Wow!”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Well, we made our annual trip to the illuminations on a Saturday 'fireworks' night. Part of the night out is a Fish and Chip supper. We went to Tuckers last year, but I was a little unsure after reading some of the recent reviews.
I shouldn't have worried!
When we got there, the queue went out of the door - a promising sign. We managed to secure a table outside - it was a pleasant evening. We were served courteously and efficiently by the young staff, I even made things awkward by forgetting to order drinks until after I'd paid for our meals.
We had to wait a few minutes as the fish was freshly fried, no problem.
The food was absolutely delicious, fish, chips and mushy peas were all perfect, and everyone in our party (4 adults and 3 kids) agreed, if Heineken made Fish and Chips, this is how they'd do it!

• Visited October 2013

“Nice but had better if truth be told”
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Hi I came here with my family & my sisters family Saturday 5th which so happens to have been matlock illuminations. We came here as my sister had been the week b4 so we just followed.
I must admit the food isn't that bad but I do think it was quite expensive but I suppose you pay extra when you visit a tourist area. We ordered large fish & chips, 2 coke, fish bites with chips, curry & mushy peas, a drink my little boy & a sausage. It came to just short of ��20. My partner wasn't impressed with his fish, he said it seemed over cooked & my curry sauce was a bit watery. It's nice you got to sit indoors & eat the food. Overall it was nice, we got served quite promptly & food was hot.

Derby, United Kingdom
“Seemed okay to me”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Called in with my grandson. I had fish and chips - he had a burger and chips. The staff were attentive and polite. The service was good. the presentation - on proper rectangular plates was good. (Wasted on an old bloke nearby who quizzed the waiter about what the "stuff" in the pot was - "Tartare" was the reply. "You can take that rubbish away - ant that lemon" was the blunt response. This bloke then ate the chips sandwiched in bread and managed to eat the fish without using his cutlery!
I would call in again. Not the cheapest - but was good value and a well presented substantial portion. I got the impression (from seeing a cleaning rota) that the place is well managed.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank JohnPDerby
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“Yum yum”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Broke a long car journey by having an hour in the stunningly beautiful Matlock Bath. Called into Tuckers for fish and chips, as they were fired to order we were asked to take a seat (as it was nice we sat outside) and waited and it was quite a wait (X restaurant manager so I do know how long things take) but it was worth it. We went to sit by the river and thoroughly enjoyed every last mouthful. If we ever pass this way again will make a point of stopping.
£10.20 for 2 x standard size fish and chips.

• Visited September 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Worst fish and chips”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This was by far the worst fish and chips I've ever had. The girl that served us was so miserable with yes/no answers to everything - not at all bothered! However the young boy that was working in the restaurant side was very helpful and friendly- needs to give the girl lessons!!
Now to the food- have to say, this was by far the worst fish and chips I have ever had. The fish was slimy and rubbery......yuk! The batter was ok, the mushy peas good. The chips were hard and tasteless! We ate in the restaurant where you are still served in takeaway box with plastic forks and cheap salt that doesn't taste of salt unless you use half the shaker! Our children who love a good fish and chip supper didn't even eat half of their meal. Quite pricey compared to other competitors but having looked at other people's takeaways from other places wish we hadn't been taken in by the relatively nice looking restaurant side! Would definitely recommend you eat elsewhere!
Just read other reviews and also want to say, what a terrible attitude or reply he/she has to any negative reviews. My husband it a restaurant owner and would be much more professional.
Sort out your bad food/service and you wouldn't get bad reviews!!!!!

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank Michaela L
Tuckerbelle, Owner at Tucker Fish & Chips, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to a write a review. We can proudly say that here at Tucker’s we truly value the honest opinions of our customers and we apologise that we did not meet your expectations. We appreciate all the feedback we receive providing we can learn something from it to help us improve our business which is our ultimate goal.
Tucker’s was established in 1982 and still is a family run Fish and Chip takeaway with seating for 50 in the seasonal tourist area of Matlock Bath in Derbyshire. Every year we take on a team of casual staff and this year, they are from local Sixth forms, Colleges and Universities and they range in age from 16 to 24. Jobs when advertised are open to all age groups etc. The majority of our staff stay with us throughout their higher education, coming back year after year. Our management team help train, inspire and encourage these talented individuals who have all achieved a Level 2 Award in Food Safety for Catering and actively helped Tucker’s attaining the FSA 5 Star Food Hygiene Rating. We can assure you that we have addressed your comments and we are completing a staff retraining program for all staff, servers, friers and preparation.
We have a genuine passion for our food and when something isn’t right we do something about it. These terrible reviews highlighted a problem with a batch of sustainable Haddock and immediately we have replaced it with sustainable Icelandic Cod. Potatoes are a fresh product and therefore quality and the way they cook change with the seasons, but again we are talking to our suppliers. All other products and ingredients are sourced from quality reputable suppliers and all pies are Pukka.
The restaurant menus, plates,cups etc are removed at 4pm on a Saturday, all day Sunday and on Bank Holiday Mondays. During this time, customers can use the inside seating as well as the outside seating to consume food purchased from the takeaway menu. We provide complimentary condiments, disposable knives, forks and serviettes.
We are real people with an excellent understanding of food, labour costs and the financials of running a business. We train our staff in customer service by working alongside them - being hands on and leading from the front with a can-do attitude. This is reflected in the many excellent reviews, repeat custom and recommendations that have gained Tucker’s a Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence Winner 2013.
We believe that these sites offer a communal platform to share experiences to allow everyone to eat, drink and sleep better. Negative reviews are acceptable as long as they are accurate, fair and based on multiple visits and as a reviewer you should be conscious that you are dealing with people’s livelihoods. If you have a problem, try and sort it out there and then, ask to speak to the manager or owner.
We thank you for your feedback and again we are very sorry that you did not enjoy your experience. If you do come back to Tucker’s, we would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.