“Fabulous!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Matlock Bath
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night for a visit to Matlock Bath illuminations. Chris & Zoe, as others have said are lovely hosts and staff extremely friendly and helpful. We were welcomed and shown to our rooms by Chris, I stayed in the Eyam room with my daughter and dog, and my parents in the room next door. Rooms were immaculate and decor in keeping with the rest of the hotel. Loved the little touches where the dog was concerned, food bowls and blankets were provided and the following morning at breakfast a sausage was brought out for the dog too (which was devoured back home!)
We were lucky enough to get a parking space at the top of the hill behind the hotel, and the hotel itself is in a very central location so no need for us to use the car while we were there.
We chose to eat in the restaurant for our evening meal before heading out, wow, food far surpassed what was expected. Cannot recommend this hotel enough, and if I'm ever planning to visit Matlock Bath again, I know where I will be staying!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed here for two nights, having a break from visiting family!

Chris and Zoe are marvellous hosts. Chris recommended the room based on my preferences, Zoe gave me the right booklet for the walks in the area (which are lovely) and most thoughtfully of all: when I came back late from seeing my team Ipswich blow a 4-1 lead at Derby, what I found left out for me was what I most needed in the world - a beer!

The breakfasts set you up for the day, and dinner was great: the restaurant deserves a 5-star rating in its own right.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Loughborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My wife a I visited Matlock Bath and stayed at the magnificent Hodgkinsons Hotel.
We had a lovely time, Chris & Zoe were wonderful hosts.
I cannot recommend the Hotel highly enough,
Fantastic food, Lovely room, Open fire, Licensed bar, Perfect Location, Friendly Staff,
We will definitely stay here again, but this time we will book an evening meal (we ate whilst out this time)
And to top it all there are caves just out of the back door of the hotel to explore.

Northampton
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just returned home from a weekend stay at the Hodgkinson's for our wedding anniversary. Wow, what a wonderful experience in this amazing Victorian style hotel, our room was large and fantastically furnished with everything we needed (not to mention the fresh cookies), even catering for things we may have forgotten. The bedding was luxurious, I wish I had asked where the duvets came from. We had dinner in the cosy restaurant which was as special as the rooms and the wonderful attention the owners Zoe and Chris made to the enjoyment of the stay (they were the perfect hosts). Please make sure you make the most of the traditional breakfast which was made using locally sourced produce, how nice to have an explosion of flavours in the morning as well as the evening which was one the best dinning experiences we have had in ages. I had forgotten what an English breakfast should taste like. Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did. We will definitely be going back and will recommend this hotel to our friends and family.

Room Tip: All rooms unique and individual as you would expect with a Grade II listed building, a couple of roo...
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

As a surprise for my darling husband I booked a dinner bed and breakfast one nights stay.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the proprietor Chris who was really lovely he gave us a upgrade to the Riber (a delightful four poster bedroom stepping back in time to Queen Victorias reign. Loved the bathroom which was pristine with a white roll top bath lots of quality toiletries , fluffy towels) must mention full marks for the hospitality tray china cups and saucers fresh ground coffee but best of all loose tea!!!! complete with tea strainer!!!!

A table was booked for dinner and we were looked after superbly by chef Kevin and Rosie the waitress.

Next morning after an excellent nights sleep we ventured down for breakfast Zoe the other half of Chris introduced herself equally as charming as her husband. Totally spoiled with a hearty breakfast for my husband and a healthier choice for myself.

Full marks to the team at Hodgkinsons we will be back soon!!

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My wife, our 1 year old baby and our scottie dog spent a wonderful few days in Matlock Bath at Hodgkinson's hotel. Chris and his wife Zoe and their chef Kevin were friendly and welcoming and went out of their way to help us have a lovely time. The dog got a sausage for breakfast and Kevin arranged to cook us an amazing meal specially early at 5:30pm to fit in with our baby's schedule. We loved the quirky victorian design of the hotel - very comfortable and cosy! Its rare to find a hotel which is both dog and child friendly, but which also has genuine character and is so memorable - a hotel with soul!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Recently stayed for two nights, accompanied by our dog. Lovely, warm welcome from hosts Zoe and Chris. We loved our room, Bretby, which was quirky and brimming with Victoriana. A blanket and bowls had been provided for the dog and there were good quality toiletries in the bathroom, along with bathrobes and slippers. Evening meals were fabulous and generously portioned. Chef Colin (assisted by Rosie(?)) deserves a special mention for his excellent meals and for going out of his way to make us kedgeree for breakfast, when it didn't appear on the menu (it was yummy). Would definitely like to return, if only to try to fit in one of the desserts.

1 Thank Sconesy
Bagshaw Hall
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell
Rutland Arms Hotel Bakewell

Been to Hodgkinson's Hotel? Share your experiences!