“Really wanted to like the place......”

The Fishpond Freehouse
Ranked #6 of 34 Restaurants in Matlock Bath
Price range: US$4 - US$18
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Fishpond Matlock Bath represents the ultimate free house experience for the people and visitors of Matlock Bath. Offering an unsurpassed range of traditional beers, continental lagers, fine wines, spirits and soft drinks, the bar is a great place to meet with friends or family. By working with our local breweries we hope to provide our customers with a more sophisticated selection at the bar. Guests of our establishment are not only offered a dynamic place to gather and mingle, but also a place to participate in the entertainment through interactive events, celebrations, and live music. Our Artisan bakery provides our menus with the finest breads, pastries and pizza - all served in our casual dining ambiance. The philosophy of food at the fishpond is to ethically source seasonal fresh produce and to deliver an unrivalled taste experience. Our Espresso coffee and Teas selection is available throughout service along with menus that reflect the time of day. For those wanting a spot of live music Over the years The Fishpond name has become synonymous with Live Music, our 200 capacity Ballroom regularly hosts live bands and entertainment. To see our full event listing please check our gig guides. And we are also proud of our somewhat undiscovered Raft Restaurant... The Raft restaurant floats neatly on The Fishpond at Matlock Bath and retains many of the historic buildings original features. This restaurant is currently only available for private hire, with bespoke menus and various options. Dont be put off by this, our restaurant is usually free to hire if you're having a meal. We also host special events and themed evenings here, so watch this space. We take pride in the reputation we have as a friendly, welcoming and professional venue, and hope to see you soon at The Fishpond!
Reviewed 3 July 2014

After researching Matlock I really wanted to visit this place & see whether it was as good as the reviews. Plus points - great beer, live music, plenty of seating in different areas, nice décor, really lovely friendly staff, so helpful...... ....... but we REALLY didn't like the food. The menu is Ok - bit uninspiring........but the food - we had simple burgers (mushroom & standard) and both of us left most of it.. It looked OK but was overcooked & just not nice. Considering there is a bakery on site the burgers were served in really bad muffins. Reading the other comments The Fishpond seems to have it's good days & bad days. To increase their level of positive feedback I think they need to work on their food offering, consider what market they are aiming for & get some consistency & enthusiasm going on with the food .... and a new catering manager perhaps?...

Reviewed 2 July 2014

after a long day in matlock we decided upon booking a table in the raft restaurant.

we were greeted at the door bye a nice young lady who took us upstairs and we then was greeted by a young man who said good evening guys im mitchell ( or michael - mark not sure i cant remember had a few lagers that same night) who explained he would be our waiter and if we needed him for anything just to grab his attention.

we then were promptly given a moose bouche of pea soup in a cute glass and then given bread.

the bread was lovely and we told the waiter that evening that we would like to buy some of this bread, he then told me that once we had finished our meal he would take us down stairs to purchase some bread he then told me that the bread was all homemade on the premises.

the chef is to be commended as the food was perfection and trust me i can be hard to please when it comes to food.
the presentation and service from everyone as soon as we stepped onto the premises were fantastic.

as a person who travels up and down the country i would personally say that this restaurant is within my top ten WELL DONE !!!!

Visited June 2014

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

What a loverly pub! Staff very welcoming and chatty perfect for younger children (and adults) to wind down after a long day. Loved the interior design. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

If I have a small issue with my food I expect to be treated with courtesy so it was a bit of a shock to be treated like a desperate 'chancer' just because I asked for a refund on a bowl of soup. After being told a supervisor would be over to see me I then spent 20 minutes watching her avoid my gaze and discuss our table with her staff. We were in Matlock for the weekend celebrating my sisters 40th and having a lovely time until this, in fact we had a lovely meal in this venue on the night before and came back because the staff were so lovely, obviously the staff change over on a Saturday night, such a shame that we'd had a recommendation from the gentleman at our lovely b&b. we loved Matlock but would never visit the Fishpond again because we left feeling humiliated.

5  Thank Bellabarmy