“Smallest double room ever!”
Review of High Tor Hotel

High Tor Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Matlock Bath B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Smallest double room ever!”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Spent 3 nights here. Clearly a great deal has been spent on hotel. Staff are helpful enough. But they put us in the smallest double room I have ever stayed in. My side of the bed you could barely sit up on, let alone stand up. We booked well in advance and on the last night hotel was empty except for us and our colleague who had an equally tiny room. They need to be pro active not reactive. "If you complained we would have changed your room" is not good enough. Message to owners stop trying to re coop your investment from the few and concentrate on filling what isa very smart hotel!

Room Tip: Unless you are very small don't book room 8 as a double!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank David H
Ben H, Manager at High Tor Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. High Tor Hotel is a boutique hotel, where no two rooms are alike and each room is priced accordingly. We know that room 8 is a cosy double room however, our reason for allocating this particular room to you was due to the fact that you had also booked room 9, our only single room, and we believed you would find it convenient to be next door to your colleague. Additionally, the other three standard doubles had already been booked for the Saturday and if we had known of your disappointment we would certainly have tried our best to provide you with room options.

We would like to thank you for your positive comments. Our luxury double rooms are much larger and may be more suitable for your requirements. We hope that you do choose to visit us again and if you contact us by telephone we can explain the different room types to ensure that you are completely satisfied.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend came here on a weekend break. What an experience. Lovely hotel, lovely staff and will come again.

This was our first trip away, and because of the staff and hotel was really special.

Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Booked the Honeymoon suite as a Birthday treat. Fabulous room with lovely theme, cannot fault in any way. Manager and staff in the Restaurant very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed a delicious breakfast. Would definitely recommend this wonderful Hotel to anyone wanting a quiet break.

• Stayed March 2014
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed at The High Tor Hotel for 1 night & were very impressed with the whole experience. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which had a circular very comfortable bed & a bath that would easily fit 4+ people. We ate in the restaurant & the food was wonderful. Everything is hand made on the premises & the cheesecake was amazing. Breakfast in the morning was plentiful, with a choice of cereals, various pastries, fruits & yogurts etc. We ordered the full English off the menu & it was perfect. The manager, Marcel, couldn't have been more hands on & helpful. He really made us feel very welcome, from popping out to buy us some chocolates in the evening to serving our breakfast in the morning. The hotel is newly refurbished & decorated to a high standard & is clean & welcoming throughout. We will definitely look forward to staying at The High Tor again soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janine193
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Was driving to the West Midlands from Yorkshire and had enough of the rain and called in to the High Tor looking for a room. They found an excellent room at the rear of the hotel and a very reasonable price. The hotel is a Victorian Hotel that has been recently modernised. The standard of room was excellent plus the bathroom was better than most in the UK.
Being tired I ate at the in house restaurant and despite being few diners had a very good evening. My lamb shank was generous and well done with crunchy root vegetables.
On checking out in the morning I discovered why it is called the High Tor, in front are high cliffs of the Matlock Valley. It was frosty and I was offered a spray to remove the ice and a coffee to remove the sleep. I did not breakfast in the hotel so cannot comment. An excellent stay. Would recommend the hotel particularly if you want to spend time in the Matlock area as there is much to see. Until next time..

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Sheffield, UK
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel is a very nice is set within a fantastic old building directly between Matlock and Matlock Bath - about a 15min walk either way - and the renovation and attention to detail is excellent. Everything I would expect from a boutique hotel, including the best bathroom ever!

We visited Matlock Bath on a sunny Saturday and found that its a small front of shops that thinks its at the seaside! The shops are all either Fish+Chips, Tea Rooms, Pubs or Arcades, plus the actual bath which is now an aquarium.

Back at the hotel...

The hotel manager was great and couldn't be more helpful, although the other staff seemed a little under-trained and more lackadaisical.

I have read a few mixed reviews on another site, so in order to address those items (at least for room 10):
- the room was spacious
- the windows opened fine
- the plug sockets were all accessible
- the beds were comfy
- room lighting was bright enough to read (or apply make-up)
- the was a free-standing mirror on the bedside table (and a hairdryer in the drawer)
- the bar was open whenever we wanted it
In other words, I could not find faults where others had!

I would recommend this to others and would happily stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iann22
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I had 2 nights here when working in Derbyshire for a few days and must say I enjoyed it immensely.

Apparently now under new management, i immediately felt at home and very welcome. The hotel has a beautiful Tor view and ample parking, set above and away from the main road.
The decor is contemporary and stylish and I was given a free upgrade to a double room on the first floor. This was spacious, spotlessly clean and well equipped.

The bar area and restaurant were lovely....contemporary and comfortable with friendly staff. Sadly no real ale on hand pump, but there were a few good bottled beers from the Chatsworth Estate Brewery..... Very nice indeed.

I at at the hotel both nights and this area caused my only niggles. My request for a "blue" steak... Ie very rare.....fell on deaf ears and my rib eye arrived medium cooked..... That said, it was a deliciously seasoned and tender piece of meat, which I polished off with gusto.

The second night, my home made steak burger suffered from similar over cooking and would have been improved, if cooked for half the time.

The breakfast though was very nice, with both eggs benedict and eggs florentine making a nice alternative to the full English option.

So to sum up. The hotel would have received a 5 star review, had the menu, had more than a handful of choices, had the bar had a craft beer on hand pump and had the chef been a little over zealous when cooking.

May I add, that the above niggles are more than negated by the standard of accommodation, friendliness of the staff and the approachability of the the manager.

Would I return? Most certainly, I will

Room Tip: I believe that rooms on the second floor may have signal problems with the complimentary wifi....che...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
#1 of 1 in Cromford
Bagshaw Hall
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell

Been to High Tor Hotel? Share your experiences!