“Birthday treat - Wasn't disappointed”

High Tor Hotel Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #15 of 33 Restaurants in Matlock Bath
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat - Wasn't disappointed”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My review Isn't really regarding the restaurant, but the Hotel itself.
My husband, Alan and I have just returned from a 1 night stay at High Tor Hotel as a birthday treat for myself. (2/8/13)
We arrived and unfortunately our room wasn't ready due to the house keeper ringing in sick - my 1st thought was "Oh here we go" - but I couldn't have been more wrong - the receptionist couldn't have been more apologetic, we were offered a drink on the house (Which would have been rude not to accept!) and sat in in the bar area on very comfortable settees and relaxed after our trip to the Hotel.
Once our room was ready we were shown to our room by the receptionist and when she opened the room door my jaw dropped to the floor - the room was gorgeous - but the bathroom was spectacular - both room and bathroom were spotless - the bath could fit 4 easily - if you are into that sort of thing :).
But seriously - what a treasure this hotel is - if you are approaching from Matlock the Hotel has a big banner to show the way - but if you are approaching from Matlock Bath - then you will miss it as we did - but apparently the council will not allow more signs!
Alan and I were meeting friends for a birthday drink and meal and decided to go into Matlock bath (Not sure this was the right decision as Matlock bath seems to shut down come 9-9.30.)
Once we had waved goodbye to our friends we decided to go back to High Tor for a night cap - and so glad we did - the lady on the bar (Wish I Had found out names!) asked why we were here (As she did for every one else who came to the bar - but I still felt special) told her we were here for my birthday - and she was so annoyed that we hadn't mentioned it when we booked the room as she would have baked me a cake! This lovely lady arrived in the bar area with a sticky chocolate cake with a make shift candle for me - now you don't get that at big hotels that don't give a damn!
As for breakfast - I didn't take full advantage of he "Full English" but what we chose was lovely - Egg Benedict and Royal Benedict - may be a little too much sauce for my liking but we all have different tastes.
I can not recommend this hotel enough peaceful - clean and the most amazing staff - the only criticism I do have and it is only because I am a smoker and it rained most of the time we were there - there is no under cover smoking area - yes there is a lovely patio area but the seating area gets soaked - so maybe something to think about for the future Hotel Tor .
But thank you for a lovely stay.
May i just add my score for the atmosphere is only marked down because we would have dined in the restaurant but alas we didn't want to dine on our own - so come on peeps give this place a go.

• Visited August 2013

WELWYN
“Stay at High Tor Hotel”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Good value for money, friendly and attentive staff though with some seemingly part time perhaps a little more training in waitress service is needed. Arguably ought to advertise more and the entrance made more visible from the A6 road.

Visited July 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“High marks for Hi tor (hidden gem)”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Called for sunday lunch,very nice food at a very reasonable price,the main problem is actually knowing it's there,(very difficult to see on the hillside). Apparently the local council won't let them put any more signs up,which to me is ridiculous ,this is a modern upbeat place with a very friendly staff.To create a proper ambience you need customers,and that is where this place sadly is lacking not through any fault of management ,if the council want there local business people to thrive ,then let them have the signage they need to help them prosper.

• Visited July 2013
“We left when meal arrived”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Booked this venue for a birthday meal for 4 people drinks over priced nobody else in there sat night not good sign when food arrived very late it looked hideous cold chips shrivelled burger (£12 burger) very very small portions we just all looked at each other and laughed and decided not to stay no front of house or manager to deal with it will not return

• Visited June 2013
Derbyshire
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Visited for lunch on a deal. Blink and you miss it as it is up a steep driveway. I went with my parents for a treat and it was very pleasant although the bar area was not what I had expected from the exterior. It is quite modern inside and minimalist.

The food choice wasn't extensive but our food was tasty and hot. The wine list was particularly good if you did not have to drive. Staff were pleasant.

• Visited January 2013