“Very interesting”

Matlock Bath Aquarium & Exhibitions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Aquarium and Exhibitions are located in a wonderful Victorian building in the centre of Matlock Bath, this is a popular collection of unique attractions for all the family to visit and enjoy.As well as our fascinating Aquarium that houses over 50 species of fish there is :• One of the largest public displays of Holograms in Europe.• The Thermal Pool which is the home of our famous Carp collection. • The site of the only remaining 'Petrifying well' in Matlock Bath. • A beautiful worldwide Gemstone & Fossil display.• A wonderful trip down memory lane in our 'Past Times in Matlock Bath' Exhibition.• A private collection of Goss and Crested China. totaling over 1,700 pieces. • We also offer a fish sales, rescue and re housing service.
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

As an animal lover, I really liked this aquarium. I saw some of the biggest fish I've ever seen in my life! I liked feeding the fish outside - they also have turtles which are interesting to watch. The holograms are really good.
I'm giving it a 4 because some of the machines in the amusement arcade weren't working properly, but I'd still recommend going if you like animals/art galleries or if you have children.

1  Thank DogLover118

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I’m not that into fish really, so this will be short and sweet (like the Aquarium). It’s small, you are in and out in about an hour (maybe even half). The petrifying well was interesting, although I must admit I read what it was about after we had visited, then it made sense to me. The Koi Carp pool was our favourite, take 50p to get some food from a vending machine to feed them (or pick it out the spill tray in the machine for nowt (we didn’t have 50p – might be an idea to have a change machine here or for the Aquarium staff to make sure you have a 50p coin when you go in). But still worth the £2.90 entrance fee. The holograms were good, but smaller children (6 yrs) found them a bit hard to see and we had to help her by standing her back or forward to see them properly. We thought they were good but our 6 year old did find this bit boring. I think if the fee crept up it wouldn’t be worth it.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Visited during half term with 2 teens and 2 children, I was very suprised how much all of my children enjoyed this little place. It's not huge but it certainly is interesting. The fish are well cared for and the information boards were well thought out and placed. Feeding the huge carp was a real treat even though it was 50p extra. We all loved the holograms, although we probably all looked rather silly moving from side to side ha ha! I like the fact that this place isn't an overly commercial attraction commanding money at every turn like many sea life centres. At £2.90 per person it was the best money I have spent in a long time, educating & fun. Well done.

1  Thank GEMMA H
Reviewed 21 February 2014

A really good and relatively inexpensive attraction in the seaside like Matlock Bath. Have been a couple of times with my 2 year old and he loves looking at all the fish (big & small). Have everything from Catfish, Piranha and Coin carp. Doesn't take long to look round but a good way to spend a bit of time on a wet afternoon. The 3d images up stairs are also good and then of course you can pop out to get some fish & chips at one of the many restaurants/cafés on the main street. A fair bit to do in Matlock bath and well worth the entrance fee.

Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our visit and entry fee was just right.
Central location in Matlock bath. Fish and tanks look good but could do with an update.

Great fun feeding the koi outside.

Rather small so perfect for short attention spans of the little ones.