“a Real treat”

Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
“a Real treat”
Reviewed 23 August 2011

From the momen

From the moment we arrived to a welcome on the board outside untill we checked out it was faultless.Roger works very hard at making sure everything is just right. Also adding special touches e.g towel origami,nice fragrant burning candles on entering the room,and chocolate in the fridge. we had the four poster room,while not huge it is more than roomy enough, plenty of wardrobe space and hangers.The location of the cables is excellent either a short walk in to matlock town or about the same distance the other way into matlock bath. Breakfast was excellent even fresh homemade bread.Nothing is too much trouble this place really is a very special b&b we are definatly going back .Thank you Roger and Maureen .from John & Mo

2 Thank mo f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I booked this b&b for myself and my 4 year old son whom can be a bit of a nightmare at times, because of this I emailed Roger before I actually booked a room and explained my situation. Roger was lovely right from the start, told me he would love Harry and myself to stay with them at the cables and after I explained that Harry isnt very good at meal times Roger suggested we ate at different times to the other guests so as not to disturb them, so that made me feel happier and I booked a 3 night stay, I now wish I had booked to stay longer.
From the moment we arrived Roger couldn't do enough for us, coffee and home make biscuits and a juice for Harry, carried our bags up for us etc.
The first thing that hits you when you arrive is the amazing view of High Tor and being able to sit and watch the climbers and see the cable cars going up and down.
Roger showed us to our room and Harry was impressed right away with 'towel swans' on the bed, although Harry soon squished them!! Harry enjoyed finding another 'towel animal on the 2nd day - a monkey hanging from the bedroom mirror! The bedroom was lovely, everything was perfect. Clean, the right temperature, lovely matching bedding, spacious, jug of water for the kettle, tea/coffee and hot chocolate, biscuits and chocolates, oh and a mini bar...with chocolate and not just drinks!! Roger asked Harry what his favourite colour flowers were and Harry said yellow and so Roger went out and picked us some yellow flowers to put in our room, I thought this was really sweet.
Harry and I stayed in room 3 which is a family room so there was plenty of room for a double bed and a guest bed for the little one. Our bathroom was just across the hall and again that was lovely and clean and spacious. Lovely soft towels and lots of escentials - shampoos, soaps, cotton buds, body sprays, face wipes etc.etc.
The guest lounge was very comfortable with a large TV, DVD player, Wii and lots of DVD's to watch and books to read, and again don't forget the view! In the winter I guess it would be lovely as there is a log burner!
The dining room is set out just right, although only a small room there is ample space between tables and you are seated so you dont feel like you are sat right next to other guests.
Harry and I ate at the cables every evening and the food was delicious. Harry was very impressed as Roger made him a smiley face out of his sauage, potato, and carrots!
In the mornings Roger allowed Harry to help make his pancakes and my toast, Harry loved it! Harry even helped Maureen bring the washing in, feed the cats and pick some apples. For a child who struggles being out of routine Roger and Maureen certainly knew how to make Harry feel comfortable and at home and I cannot thank them enough for that.
The garden is great, you can sit on the patio area and watch the climbers. It's a nice sunny garden and Harry loved exploring the garden and even had Roger playing in there in Harrys 'secret garden'!
Harrys saying for the few days was aimed at Roger... 'How funny are you!' Roger was one of the nicest people I have met for a long time, him and Maureen are special people.
The location was ideal, within walking distance to the cable cars and into Matlock Bath to look round the shops and walk by the river.
We had a full day at Chatsworth house which is stunning and worth a visit if you are out that way, only 30 minutes away from the cables. Also a 10 minute drive to Crich Tramway, again a good afternoon out for us.
I would definitely reccommend The Cables and I would certainly stay there again, I came away feeling like I had stayed with friends and that nothing was too much trouble for us!

Room Tip: Room 3 is lovely in every way but be aware the bathroom is across the hall
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I booked a room last minute with Cables after another local B&B completely messed up my booking request and left me in the lurch a few days before the big weekend I had planned for myself and my girlfriend.

When I phoned up Roger was very helpful and (due to my circumstances) offered me a slightly reduced rate to help out.

On the day in question it unfortunately turned out that we were double booked (I'm assured this is the first time it's happened in the B&B's history). Roger very graciously offered to book us into a room at another local establishment that is also - like Cables - very highly rated. In addition to this, he very generously paid half of the money for the room and gave us a lift there.

Needless to say, the situation was handled incredibly well by Roger on behalf of Cables and it wasn't at all an inconvenience to our weekend.

Whilst there, Roger showed us around Cables B&B and the room we were originally going to stay in, both of which were very well presented. This combined with the fantastic customer service we received was more than enough incentive to ensure we book with Cables again in future.

Many thanks,
Tom and Izzy

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights for our anniversary after reading the other reviews on here and we wasn't disappointed. We traveled with our two year old son and found that nothing we asked for was a problem and once we had settled in it just felt like a home from home.
For us we have no transport so the location of The Cables was ideal for walking both into Matlock town and up to near the top of Matlock Bath to Gullivers Theme Park which for this trip was as far as we needed to walk.
Our room was lovely and had everything we needed and was made personal by the welcoming board and a 'Happy Anniversary' wish which we thought was nice and thoughtful.
We liked the honesty bar in the room and used it a couple times and as we were staying with a 2 year old we thought the 'teddy bear' on his bed was really cute.
Breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice, we decided to have an evening meal and the food was so delicious that we decided to have evening meals for the rest of our stay. My husband recommends the sticky toffee pudding and says its the best hes ever had :)

We would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of a stay in Matlock Bath and we hope to return there again in the future. We would like to thank again Roger & Maureen for making our stay and wedding anniversary a special one.

1 Thank columbos_mack
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2011

we came for our first wedding anniversary and it was fantastic from the welcome on the wall to the love heart in the room there were a very friendly and lovely couple and the breakfast was delious and would defo tell my friends and family to go stay and we would stay again too thanks roger and maureen
claire and mick flint xx

1 Thank claire f
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2011

2 night stay with my mum and son, The hospitality at the Cables was great. The food fantastic, and the rooms comfortable. Roger and Maureen have thought of everything. From bath robes to make-up wipes. A wonderful place to stay, we will be back

1 Thank andrea s
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2011

What a beautiful place this was!! On our tour of the UK it was our first experience in a B&B! Many thanks to Maureen & Roger for the fantastic accomodation and wonderful friendly atmosphere. The breakfast was delicious and the 4 poster room is outstanding!
We have already recommended it to friends & family! It is central to the tourist attractions in the Peak District! We will be back next year!!

Sheila & Geoff Lucas St Marys NSW Australia.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Matlock Bath
Castle Green B&B
Castle Green B&B
#2 of 51 in Matlock

Been to Cables B&B? Share your experiences!