“Excellent Experience!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Matlock Bath B&B and Inns
Derby, United Kingdom
“Excellent Experience!”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Highly reccomend this b&b. It was clean, tidy, all were very friendly. Lovley breakfast and rooms. Amazing Hot Tub (highly advice to try it)
Overall the experience was so good and will tell friends about it!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed for our anniversary and were very happy with our stay. While the room prices might seem a little steep, for the area they are good and the extras there, such as mini bar prices, evening meal prices etc. were all 'incredibly' cheap. I don't think I've ever even taken something out of a mini bar before and I ate half the snacks in this one :)

Some very nice personal welcoming touches that I won't spoil the surprise of for future guests, nicely located a short walk away from the 'front' of Matlock Bath and ample parking or right next to a bus stop and just a short walk from the train station.

The room was medium sized, nicely maintained and a spotless bathroom (no bath for those of you who care about such things, we didn't). The guest's living room has a wood burner which smells amazing and with only 3 rooms the chances of being the ones to choose the tv channel are pretty high :D We also made use of the outdoor jacuzzi, again reasonably priced and a nice bit of fun, especially in an ever popular UK coldsnap. The owner even brought us some cold beers.

I've left the best until last, the food was 'amazing', both the included breakfast and the evening meal ordered from a menu. Home cooked by the owner with meat bought in fresh from a local butcher and 'very' reasonably priced. We even asked to come back for an evening meal on the day we checked out (Which they graciously allowed).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The Cables is one of those rare gems you come across only very occasionally. I have just returned from a two-night stay for a last-minute short walking break and am very glad I booked there. The owners Roger and Maureen are genuinely friendly, good people; I felt like a welcomed guest rather than simply a customer, and wanted for nothing. They provide many little extras normally (in my experience) only found in much larger places: minibar in the room (very reasonably priced), and such a range of toiletries and the like that you really needn't bring any with you! The food is superb; a large range of breakfast choices (my Full English was perfect, including possibly the best Black Pudding I have ever tasted!), and I could go on for hours about the evening meal I had - a restaurant quality three-course meal for about half what you might normally expect to pay. My only regret is I didn't book to use the hot tub, but next time I most definitely will! I can't recommend this place highly enough; they'll be the first number I call whenever I look to stay in the area from now on. MarkA

• Stayed February 2014
London
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Was a bit disappointed after all the glowing reviews, to be honest. Seemed a pretty stock standard B&B and the welcome I received wasn't particularly warm at all. Nothing wrong with it, but the effusive praise all over this site leaves me quite mystified. I think I must have just got the owner on a bad day or something!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank sper12London
thecables, Owner at Cables B&B, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
I am a little mystified aswell as you state you stayed in march 2013 and I have no recollection that far back, all said and done I apologise that your stay was disappointing and welcome your call to make amends
kind regards
roger and maureen
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We spent a lovely couple of nights at this brilliant B&B. We decided to escape to the country for a well deserved break and celebrate our anniversary. I read the reviews on tripadvisor and decided that The Cables would be perfect for us. And it really was perfect. We received a warm welcome with tea and cake by the fire, then we were shown to our room. It was so perfect: Rose petals on the four poster bed, heart shape balloons and cushion, towel swans and signs wishing us a happy anniversary. It was such a lovely personal touch that meant the world to us. We had full english breakfasts both mornings and they were delicious. We were sat at the table by the window and had a lovely view of High Tor. We enjoyed some time in the cosy lounge and the fire was most welcome on a cold January eve. Roger and Maureen were very welcoming and were keen to help in any way. The B&B on the whole was very comfortable. I would highly recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
manchester
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We spent a wonderful weekend here. The dinner on the Friday night was beautiful, including locally caught Derwent Trout.
Roger and Maureen made us feel very welcome and our room was gorgeous including a four poster bed.
They went out of their way to cater for our every need too.
Very highly recommended - especially the hot tub which is in the garden surrounded by fairy lights.

Room Tip: We stayed in the smaller four poster bedroom and it was lovely.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

this b n b is a little haven! a warm welcome on arrival with coffee n cake and the room (number 1) was lovely, clean and had everything you need such as toiletries and lovely fluffy nightgowns. I was surprised by a marriage proposal during my visit and when we got back to our room Maureen and Roger had decorated the room with lovely romantic little touches and put a bottle of bubbly on ice for us...I was touched by the personal touches! the hot tub looked immense although we didn't book it this time we defo will next time! the lounge had a lovely log burner which was beautiful after a nippy afternoon. located bang central to matlock and matlock bath, a short walk to either. breakfast was gorgeous and plenty of it...we booked to come back before we left and so was another couple at the same time who had their honeymoon there which shows how lovely this place is...highly recommend to anyone who wants a little break away!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
#4 of 51 in Matlock
Castle Green B&B
Castle Green B&B
#1 of 51 in Matlock

Been to Cables B&B? Share your experiences!