“Dirty and neglected” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Chapel Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Ann's Chapel
Old Chapel Inn
Devon
“Dirty and neglected”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2007

I wish we had read the reviews from last year before we booked! We had the Valentine Room which looks lovely on the website but now has a large damp stain and crack across one wall in the bedroom and mould and damp stains all over the bathroom. There was barely any hot water so we could not use the jacuzzi. It was generally shabby, untidy and very dirty. The inside of the dining room windows were filthy and covered in dead insects. Any thoughts of staying for Sunday lunch were quickly abandoned. It is a great shame because it has so much potential but has been very neglected. Priced at £130 a night (we did get a reduction of £30 because of the lack of hot water) it was a very expensive mistake and ruined what should have been a lovely weekend.

• Liked — It was convenient for the restaurant we had booked
  • Disliked — How dirty and neglected it was
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank EmpordaDevon

Families
Solo
Somerset
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2006

The Old Chapel inn looked like an ideal place to spend a few days, unfortunately we were very disappointed. The overall appearance was very shabby and not as depicted on the website. We liked the decor, which was tasteful. Evening meal was of good qualilty, but took an absolute age, no bread, no Salt & Pepper. Just one waitress, very sweet girl, but run ragged. The room was positively tiny, my husband and I kept crashing into each other. The Shower room was miniscule, water came up the shower outlet when the lavatory was flushed. Breakfast was a huge disappointment and very greasy. Last but not least, the room was right on a busy coastal road at a junction, therefore cars accelerating away all the time and above the bar, with the last person leaving at 01:00 in the morning and all could be heard. We requested another room, but told that none available. If it wasn't for the fact that we would be charged a cancellation fee, we would have moved on elsewhere.

• Liked — The Decor
  • Disliked — Very Poor service
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont go there
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lovesy
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2006

Although our Hosts were very friendly, and the food was good, we would not return to this place because it is NOISEY and SMOKEY! It is located on a very busy road junction that feeds the Chalaborough Caravan site - so continuous noise past the bedroom window when you're trying to get some sleep. Also the cigarette smoke from the downstairs bar drifts up the stairs and stinks the bedroom out. In addition the noise from late night drinkers was keeping us awake as the landlord encouraged late night drinking "parties" after the front door was locked up. It's a pity these things spoil what could be a nicer place, but as the landlord is a smoker himself I don't think he fully realises how much this upsets non smokers.

• Liked — Good Food
  • Disliked — Very Noisey and Smokey
  • Tips/Secrets — Suitable for Smokers and Late Night Drinkers who like lots of noise
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank albethere
Newark, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2006

I have just returned to USA after a pleasant 3 week trip around England. The trip was spoilt by our one night at the Old Chapel Inn. We had originally booked for 3 nights - we couldnt wait -OR find an alternate hotel upon arrival and realising that this choice was a bad one and that this was a dump.
Bed spread filthy /stained
Carpets in public areas filthy stains throughout.
Smoke from the downstairs bar drifted up to our room.

The noise from the street - (right outside our window) was terrible. First the local chapter of hells angels on their Harleys. Then every boy racer in Devon practising speed shifts and tire burning wheelies away from the junction -(right outside our window) This was in spite of my request for a quiet room!!!!
The party in the bar downstairs at least drowned the noise of the traffic!!!

The resturaunt - filthy windows - I bet they have not been cleaned in a year or more. We ordered crepes - they arrived swimming in a non descript watery sauce. This person is not a chef by any stretch of the imagination - Gordon Ramsey where are you?

Avoid this place at all costs - I cant believe that there were ANY positive reviews on this site - possibly family members? Or people who never travel on a regular basis.

A general grubby atmosphere - a perfect description.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
10 Thank Salesman-Dave
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2006

We didn't get the chance to stay here as they had messed up the booking. My advice if you book over the intenet is phone shortly after to make sure the booking hasn't been mislaid!

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2006

I booked one night for my husband and I. We are expecting a baby in the summer and wanted a nice night away together before baby arrives. The other reviews convinced me I'd made the right choice but we were very disappointed by our experience and were glad we'd only booked for one night. The room we were shown to wasn't the one I'd booked and although it had a double bed in it, was so tiny it was laughable. My husband is tall and broad and could hardly fit in the bathroom. We asked to change rooms and this was begrudgingly done. The new room was much larger and nicer but the continual noise from the water tank located in the cupboard in the bathroom was annoying and meant I had to wear earplugs to get some sleep - hardly relaxing. Every time anyone in the building used water or pulled a flush it made a racket in our room. Little touches often make a difference, so the bar of 29p soap (price still on it!) in the otherwise nice bathroom was a bit scrimpy but hardly the end of the world. One of things that attracted me to the Old Chapel Inn was the restaurant (saw it on their website) but we weren't told it was closed due to heating problems and we were just shown to a little table in the bar. The table was quite cosy but nothing like the restaurant, especially given the restaurant food prices rather than pub food prices! Also, neither of us smoke (and I am pregnant and avoiding smoky places) but had to contend with people in the bar smoking all around us. I accept it is a bar and people can smoke there but if we'd been told on arrival, we probably would've chosen to have dinner elsewhere. Can't fault the food it was delicious and the service was fine but it was spoilt due to us sitting in the smoky bar. Neither of us slept very well due to the noisy tank/pipes. The whole place had a air of being finished off quickly and on the cheap (one door still had the word 'lock' written on it in pencil but the carpenter obviously never came back!) The hot water was so hot it scalded my husband when he put his hand under the tap when running a bath - very dangerous if you had children around. We thought The Old Chapel Inn could be lovely, the menu is great and the rooms could be fantastic but the whole thing was a big disappointment to us. I'd say - go there for a meal (check the restaurant is open when you book) but don't stay.

Stayed March 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2006

We stayed at the Old Chapel Inn a few weeks back and had a fantastic meal in the candlelit bar on the Saturday evening. The barman (not sure of his name) was delightful, so friendly and really made our evening. My husband was on a strict diet and requested no added fat with his meal - and the choice of chicken with parsnip puree and lots of freshly cooked vegetables was just perfect. I had a starter (goats cheese tartlet) and a gorgeous sponge pudding (ginger and toffee I think) dessert. It was one of those meals that you think about and relive afterwards. Just brilliant!

The hotel was imaginatively decorated with lots of atmosphere - the only downside was that it needed decoration in places as there was some damp on the walls, also it seemed strange to have mismatched hangers in the wardrobe when there was such attention to detail with the overall interior design. However, the meal made up for it!

It's great fun to go across to Burgh island on the tractor at high tide - it only costs a small amount and it's a lovely walk to the top of the hill where you can see for miles.

• Stayed January 2006
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank pemberton2

Been to Old Chapel Inn? Share your experiences!