“Very pleasant”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Bigbury
Price range: US$19 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Nestled into the Avon Valley, Award Winning restaurant The Oyster Shack – aka “Seafood Paradise” serves an array of mouth-watering catch of the day seafood and shellfish, depending on what’s been landed daily and what’s in season on the land. With eclectic, rustic decor its as cosy in the wintertime as it is virbrant and al fresco in the summer. A must visit year round. In true "shack" nature you can pop in for light nibbles and coffee with friends at lunchtime through to an extravagant Lobster lunch or whole catch of the day - always with incredibly friendly and welcoming service.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We enjoyed an excellent meal here a couple of nights ago. It was a warm, sunny evening so perfect for sitting in the covered outdoor area. Lovely atmosphere.
Very nice gin and tonics. Food was very good, I’m not the biggest lobster fan but certainly enjoyed the surf and turf. I did however feel it was expensive.
Excellent service by attentive staff. Really appreciated the extra touches.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,009)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Went here for lunch, on my wife's birthday, with a couple of friends.

First...it's a beautiful drive along the tidal road to get there!

We arrived around 2pm without a booking and they were very helpful and found us a table straight away.

So much to choose from, lots of fresh, fresh seafood, you're really spoilt for choice!

In the end we all went for the Seafood Feast simply because you get such a variety. To start, a pint pot full of beautifully cooked shell-on prawns bathed in a great tasting sauce, definitely not over done with sauce, just right! Fantastic! So fresh, so sweet, and so succulent!

Next...the main dish...a tray of seafood broth steamed mussels the size of which I've never ever had any where! Huge! So soft and tasty, an absolute delight!

On top of the mussels a trio of the catch of the day fillets...gilt head sea bream, mackerel, and John Dory, along with two crevettes. It was all brilliantly cooked, soft, tender, flaky, full of flavour with a hint of the barbecue searing...you could not ask for or get better I swear!

And then you can mop up the lovely broth with some lovely bread!

Not one of the four of us was in any way disappointed, exactly the opposite...totally amazed, totally satisfied!

I confess...it wasn't the cheapest Saturday lunch I've had, but it was a birthday treat and worth every penny!

If you've got a special day, or person to celebrate with, do it! Go to the Oyster Shack for a meal I guarantee you won't forget!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If it's not a restaurant (just a tent) then you wouldn't expect the prices to be inflated compared to other restaurants. I'm not sure if the chef actually tried tasting some of the courses, but my starter was the only food I've ever ordered and couldn't bring myself to eat. Shrimps in butter, shouldn't be 95%butter. And I wasn't expecting the hint of lemon to be of the overpowering lemon curd variety. It really was foul, and rich enough to make anyone feel a bit sickly. The rest of the meal was vary standard at best. The prices, again … on a different planet. At least it's a memorable place, so I'll know never to return!

3  Thank Robert T
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had a great informal supper for five big families. Service was excellent, kids' food quick and plentiful and enough decent chilled wine for the adults to have enjoy a gloriously sunny half-term evening.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went one warm evening and really loved the place. Prawns as a starter were absolutely delicious but my main course, my favourite fish John Dory, was a little dry. Did intend to go back a 2nd time in the week but had to cut our holiday short. Thoroughly recommended, just think I was a little unlucky with the JD