“Please do better!”

Ranked #5 of 38 Restaurants in Crediton
Price range: US$21 - US$32
Cuisines: European, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Il Casita opened in June 2013 located just outside of Exeter in Crediton. Nick and Tina have used their knowledge of the local surrounding areas combined with their love for travelling as chefs to produce good seasonal Mediterranean cuisine. Using the best seasonal ingredients along with classic ingredients from the Mediterranean.
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Ok, I want to make this review as constructive as possible for three reasons: 1. Il Cassita is a really nice restaurant with a warm, friendly atmosphere; secondly because the owners and staff are extremely pleasant; and finally because it has changed hands so many times over the past decade that for once, it would be nice for someone to succeed. My husband and I ate from the 'taste of the Amalfi Coast' set menu. For starters I had pan fried tiger prawns. Friendly suggestion No 1: When customers order pan fried tiger prawns they expect shell-on tiger prawns and a finger bowl. They don't expect 6 tasteless king prawns sitting on a bed of heavily dressed lettuce with chopped mint on top. Come on Chef, the shells are where the flavour is! And fish and mint don't go. Ever. Think fishy toothpaste. I'm sorry, but it's true.
Secondly, if you are going to serve a fish course (I had seafood linguine for my main) then you MUST have fresh seafood. It was pretty rubbery - I'm sorry, but it was. On the plus side, the linguini was cooked well and the sauce was pleasant. My husband had guinea fowl which was good, but desperately in need of a sauce. Pretty please...? Another plus was the side of sauté potato and Mediterranean vegetables. Completely yum - could have eaten those all evening. Pudding... oh dear. I had panna cotta, which was so heavy on the gelatine that it was very rubbery. The adorable waiter asked how it was and I was honest with him. Twice. Guess what? I was still charged for this despite eating just 2 small mouthfuls. Please don't ask if you don't really care. "Your call is important to us..." No it isn't or you'd answer). Husband's dry chocolate torte was not great either but he's more polite than me so didn't say a word. He would however like to add the following: ale should be served at room temperature and not ice cold. Please please please get better, il Casita. We really want to dine with you again.

2  Thank Devon_Foodie37
IlCasita, Owner at Il Casita, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Good morning

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate all feedback here at Il Casita.

We are sorry your prawns were not shell on. We have found that most of our customers prefer them out of the shell for clean eating. We are more than happy to keep them shell on if requested.
Sorry that the prawns, mint and extra virgin oil did not agree with your palate, which is entirely your opinion. If they should never go together then I cannot understand why you ordered them? There are the classic prawns with garlic chilli and fresh herbs on the main menu.
Tina agreed one sheet of gelatine too many in the Panna Cotta, a mistake on our part. Unfortunately the message was not relayed to Tina at the time and we were unable to rectify it. (Please pop in for a full refund on this pudding). We really do take customer service and satisfaction seriously.
The guinea fowl is served with fresh salsa verde beneath the baby pea shoots.
We are glad the linguini was good sorry the seafood was not. The seafood here is fresh two to three times weekly depending on how busy we are.
Torta Caprese is meant to be that consistency which is why we added in the vanilla mascarpone as a garnish.
As for the real ale we keep some in the fridge and some not as we have requests for both. Again a matter of opinion, we cannot provide it if we are not asked for it.
On the whole you seemed pleased with the meals and the vegetables on the evening so such a shame to mark it poor as the ingredients and locality of the produce and the food is shown in the majority of the reviews on here.

Thanks again for your feedback and sorry once again for the miscommunication with your Panna Cotta.

Kind regards

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Came here again a couple of weeks ago with two of my friends on the Tuesday "ladies' night". We had the good fortune to spend the evening outside as the weather was so lovely; it was almost like being in the Med (even if it was in the middle of Crediton!) Food superb, small dietary tweaks not a problem, and Nick and Tina are lovely and friendly hosts. Thank you for a lovely evening - here's to the next time!

1  Thank LindaCHS
IlCasita, Owner at Il Casita, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Good afternoon

Thank you for taking time to write such kind words about your experience here at Il Casita. It really does mean a lot to us.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We must have passed by this Crediton bistro, on the main road to Exeter, many times without noticing it, which is a great shame. This time we decided to stop because it was a sunny day and we had seen in a review that there was a sheltered courtyard. The sun-bathed courtyard was indeed a lovely spot for lunch, neatly kept and with tables well enough spaced to ensure privacy for diners. It has quite a Mediterranean atmosphere, just right for the Italian-inspired food.
The lunch menu choice is quite limited but more than adequate because you can have many of the dishes as either a starter or a main course. A nice touch is the jug of iced water brought immediately to table whilst you are making the selection. The service was very friendly and attentive.
My partner had garlic mushrooms with crusty bread and I had a chicken Caesar salad. Both dishes were very well-presented with plenty of flavour, although as in many restaurants the salad was generously topped with chicken and bacon but a bit light on the lettuce. Not all salad eaters are on a diet. Together with two bottles of chilled Peroni beer the bill came to £22 which is more than reasonable.

1  Thank NormanLewis
IlCasita, Owner at Il Casita, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for your kind words, we are so glad you enjoyed soaking up the sun in our courtyard. We hope to see you again the future.
Best wishes

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This was my second time at Il Casita.I decided on the salmon which was beautifully cooked. Thank you Nick and Tina for a lovely evening.

1  Thank MissEm2014
IlCasita, Owner at Il Casita, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

It was so nice to see you all again, we were so glad your returning experience was as good as the first visit.
We hope to see you again soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I visited Il Casita whilst on holiday with my husband, and had a fantastic evening. The service was good, food delicious and I loved the fact that the chef (one of the owners I believe) came to our table and talked to us. His knowledge and passion for food was quite infectious! We also loved that a lot of the ingredients were used are locally sourced. In fact, we both had sea bream from the specials. There was a really friendly relaxed atmosphere, and small things like the fact that fresh flowers were on the table show real attention to detail for a good customer experience. We are already planning a return trip for August!

1  Thank TLD2005
IlCasita, Owner at Il Casita, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for your kind words, it really means a lot to us here at Il Casita. We are very glad you enjoyed the Sea Bream on the Corsican dining menu.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards