“A1”

The Cheese Cafe @ Penny's Pantry
Description: 01363 772 377
Description: 01363 772 377
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is NOT what you would expect to find in a small Mid-Devon town comprising a High St with a couple of offshoots. The Cheese Delicatessen on offer would rival any City venue - and I say this irrespective of the fact that in a former life I knew the Quicke family who manufacture this wonderful stuff! As to the café, my other half ordered kedgeree and I went for pea and ham soup. Only intended as a light lunch, we were both seriously impressed by both the volume and quality of both our dishes; in fact we commented that we have been served far worse in other decidedly pretentious venues charging twice the price. We didn't have room for a dessert, however the cakes were all clearly homemade and looked delicious.
We left wondering why much bigger towns around the County with the benefit of seaside tourism don't currently have much to rival this! I would urge the good people of Crediton to both appreciate and support them.

1  Thank Adam12345678

Reviewed 16 November 2013

This doubles up as a small café and a well stocked cheese shop on Crediton’s main street. Friendly staff and pleasant surroundings. I had tomato and lentil soup which I enjoyed, it was filling with a good taste and you could feel the lentils in the consistency. Served with two generous pieces of good granary bread and butter so excellent value. I also had a local apple juice which was also excellent; you could literally taste and smell the apples. Recommend.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We were tired and very late but were served a fabulous quiche and salads. Also took home some cheese and biscuits for later. Lovely staff...delicious food

2  Thank carolunt
Reviewed 1 August 2013

So I think the title says it all, you got to hand it to them, the selection of cheese on offer is fantastic and comparable to anywhere in a big city.

Dont bother eating here though, we ordered a bagette but was told the guy who makes the baguettes has left, would we like a toasted sandwhich instead - I did not realise baguette making was a specialist skills not comparable to sandwhich making; oh well. The coffee was absolutely awful, I ordered a lattee and it was really a milky coffee. The food was "okay" not good but not terrible, it didnt come in a hurry.

My coffee was half in my saucer, we were offered no condiments, it was slow, not unpleasant but certainly not what I would call local shop friendly

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We dropped in for morning coffee. It was nicely and carefully made, and the staff were very courteous. We also had a cheese scone, which was warmed in the oven to perfection and absolutely delicious. Also good value. We looked at the cheese counter, as there is also a cheese deli in the cafe. Lots of interesting cheeses, but on the expensive side (e.g. Yarg at £20+ per kilo).