“Thoroughly recommended.”

Whitehead's Fish and Chips
Ranked #4 of 64 Restaurants in Hornsea
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Geoff Whitehead says "All our fish and chips are served fresh, for a taste you'll want to come back for again and again". Whitehead's - East Yorkshire's first MSC certified sustainable fish and chip shop - is set a stones throw from the Yorkshire seafront at The Greenway, Trinity Road, Hornsea, near Hull, East Yorkshire HU18 4SL. Whiteheads traditional fish and chip takeaway and comfortable 70 seater restaurant offers diners the choice of eating in or taking away to enjoy at home or at the nearby beach. Whitehead's cater for people with gluten intollerance, with a large choice of gluten free options, as well as vegetarian choices. All food is freshly cooked to order in pure rapeseed oil, so you can enjoy the wholesome goodness and taste of our fish and chips.
Reviewed 1 November 2017

I think you can always judge a fish and chip restaurant by the quality of its fish. In this case the fish was excellent. You could easily tell that the fish was very fresh. The chips were also very nice.

The service was efficient and friendly.

1  Thank Paul B

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed it. The fish was large, excellent and very thick. Chips were lovely, as were the peas. Great pot of tea too. Only improvement relates to the size of the plates. They need to be bigger to accommodate the generous portions.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

My wife and I often visit Hornsea and of course, as part of the visit, we have fish and chips. We have tried other establishments in the past, but on a recent visit, we ate in Whiteheads.

This fish and chip restaurant had been recommended to us by friends, but each time we tried to visit, we found we were unable to find a parking space nearby, however this time we were lucky.

It isn't a lot to look at from the outside, but upon entering, we found the place to be light and very clean. The staff were excellent - very friendly and efficient.

We both decided on cod and chips - small portions were more than sufficient for us. The chips seemed real - not straight from the freezer as many places seem to use these days. The fish was very nice and the batter was nice and crispy, not greasy at all.

Everything was served quickly and our waitress was very attentive.

The only things that let the place down were we were sitting underneath the air conditioning unit and when it was active, there was a very noticeable cold draught down the back of my neck and in my wife's face. When we complained, our waitress did turn it off, but as the ambient temperature in the dining area rose, someone else turned it on again - fortunately just before we left.

My wife ordered cod and chips which the menu said was served with a slice of lemon, however when no lemon arrived, we asked the waitress who apologised, but said they had no lemon left.

Those points aside, the place was well worth a visit and we'll certainly be going back - although we'll try to have a table a little further from the air conditioning next time.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

We’ve been to Whitehead’s many times so it’s a safe bet when our family wants to celebrate a birthday.
Today seemed one visit too far. The service was at best awkward and at worst terrible. The meal was fine so no complaints there.
When taking our order, I was the first to be asked. I hesitated for a second and the waitress decided to give up and said “I think I’ll start at the other end” and moved away!
At the end of our meal, we sat looking at our dirty plates and cups for a good 15 minutes. My partner asked another waitress if we could have the birthday cake we’d brought. She brought it out, candles unlit and asked where she should leave it, struggling for space because no pots had been taken away. At one point, my missus was going to send me to the car for a lighter to light the candles. Moment well and truly gone.
I gave up and stacked a load of pots myself and moved them to an empty table. They were still there as we left.
At no point were we asked if everything was ok or if we’d enjoyed our meal. When we paid, the lady on the till told us the voucher we wanted stamping (which we were given in the same restaurant) might not be able to be used to pay. I explained we didn’t want to, just the thing stamping. She might want to consider smiling occasionally.
All in all, the service team were appalling today. Rated by many as the best fish and chips in East Yorkshire, Whitehead’s night just be starting to rest on their laurels.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Sometime since I have been here and I was looking forward to a nice meal. They had skate on the menu which I love so my wife and I ordered skate but when it came it was so overcooked that the batter was hard and the fish was dry. I pointed it out that it was so overcooked and the excuse was that the fish was FROZEN and they had to give it a long time in the fryer it to make sure that it was cooked all the way through !! . The fish batter was bitter with the over cooking and like rock and 40 mins later as I write this I can still taste it.
We were offered a dessert which we refused and I will not be rushing to go back ,frozen fish when you are so close to where they catch it and then terrible cooking on top is not a combination that I think is acceptable , I gave it one star only becuase the service was good.

1  Thank David R