“Good apartment”

Ranked #11 of 24 Broadstairs B&B and Inns
London
“Good apartment”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We spent the bank holiday weekend exploring the area and stayed in one of the apartments with our 18 month old little boy. The apartment was spacious and well equipped. It was clean and the building is well appointed for the beach and local bays. We arrived earlier than expected and were welcomed with warmth and handed the keys straight away so were able to drop off our luggage and head out while the apartment was cleaned for us. This enabled us to make the most of our stay and our host was very accommodating and flexible in this regard especially. We felt like we were in our own little world and enjoyed views across Broadstairs and of the sea.

A few small items could do with some attention. For instance, the sofas have been well used and could do with upgrading. Also the shower cubicles/doors could do with replacing as they are beginning to show black marks. There are two shower rooms in this apartment and no bath with may make bathing a toddler a bit of a challenge plus no chance of a relaxing soak!! One of the bedrooms is also in a slightly odd location, off a fire escape route.

However these items are fairly minor in the grand scheme of things - a warm hostess and tidy apartment in a well located building make this a good find.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed 13 August 2012

when running a B&B you're really only making two promises to your guests - that the bed will be comfortable and the breakfast will be appetizing. Merriland does have average beds but it the breakfast that really disappointed us. Our suite was the family suite, its the top floor suite and the view toward the sea was nice, the bathroom was not however. A modular bathroom with no windows that literally is not big enough for two people to occupy at the same time - in the family suite? I liked the decor but the room is short and neither it or the bed is suitable for anyone over 6'2. I did like the linen and the pillows and did have a good nights sleep thou. But it was breakfast when everything turned for the worse and made the whole experience poor. So much of it was poor, i'm not sure where to start. The tall lady with short dark hair who met us has a terrible attitude, i think she would have rather been anywhere else. The tea was grey and taste cheep as can be, never asked how we wanted our our eggs or anything like it. Our orange juice and coffee was never refilled, i don't even think she noticed that it was empty, The ONE request we made, to have our bacon crispy, was seemingly too much to ask as it came our far from it (like they didn't even try). The presentation was terrible, and the sausage was actually the worst sausage i have ever had in my life - i swear it must have been made of sawdust and lard. I think the whole thing was cooked in microwave. Come to think of it, upon check in we were told we could have the room for 10 pounds less if we didn't want breakfast, now i know why... also beware how much they charge you as it seems to change often - we paid 70 pound, others have paid as low as 30 pounds or as much as 90 or more. Had i looked for a room to rent before arriving in Broadstairs we would have stayed elsewhere - this was the last room in town.

Room Tip: don't bother with the breakfast and make sure you're not getting over charged
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

Stays at the guesthouse on the weekend I the Whitstable oyster festival. We booked the family room at the top of the house as it was one of the last rooms in Broadstairs available. The room had sloping ceilings which my 6'2 partner had a bit of difficulty with. The bathroom was really extremely tiny (unpleasantly cupboard like with no natural light). The bed for such a large room was a standard double, which my partners feet hung off. There was a tiny plug in fridge but it wasn't plugged in. (would have been nice to have proper milk in there). the breakfast was ok, although as the last to have it, I heard the ping of the microwave presumably heating up an already cooked breakfast while the eggs were being done. It only took a few minutes after ordering for the breakfast to come out. The beach was an easy 7 min walk away. Overall though, I strongly feel £90 should have bought more and seeing that other guests paid £35 for the same room is quite gutting.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank SassyMarie83
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I cannot praise this little home from home highly enough.
I booked a room here as part of a surprise, for my husbands 50th b'day. We were upgraded to one of the apartments, of which there are two, and have decided to book this room again, later in the year, to bring the children and grandchild.

Firstly I don't write long reviews, usually but feel this gem deserves exposure. And secondly none of this is based on the fact we got an upgrade. I would still love this place.

If you book an apartment they still come in and clean once a day. The attention to detail with their service and facilities is what makes this place faultless. Yes you can have their scrumtious breakfast every morning, or if in an apartment you can make your own in their impressive fitted kitchen/diner. Worried about the dog or baby? Dont! Dogs are welcome and they keep spare travel cots, blow up beds, ironing boards...
location, location, location, a moments walk from the sea, pubs, restaurants. I could go on. I know this has been a long review, but to have made it shorter would have been a disservice.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank pratts-bananas
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I visit the Merriland twice a year, Annette is the most warm and welcoming host, nothing is too much trouble. All rooms that I have stayed in are spacious, extremely clean and comfortable. My family and I stayed in the superb apartment last year, two ensuite bedrooms, a fantastic kitchen and large living room with flat screen tv and dvd. We have booked the apartment again for this July (2012) and are looking forward to our stay. For great value, excellent accommodation and a really friendly welcome, the Merriland is the place to stay, I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I stayed for one night on the top floor and was greeted with a glorious view, over the town, of a full moon hanging over the sea.

The room was very nice, a good size and comfortable and clean. The lady who greeted me (Annette?) was very friendly and helpful with directions for finding places to eat and I was only sorry that I didn't have more time to enjoy the place. For £35 a night, this was an absolute bargain and I was able to park outside the front door too.

Breakfast was very good and I WOULD certainly go back however.

Room Tip: I do have one suggestion if you stay for a longer time than I did: I would ask if they have cotton s...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Grobbendonk, Belgium
Reviewed 2 December 2011

This was the second time we visited Annette at Merriland and once again Annette made us really welcome. We had the appartment this time as their were 4 of us. It was wonderful. 2 seperate bedrooms ensuite, A well equipte kitchen. and a large living with tv and dvd. Breakfast was more than enough. At Merriland you arrive the first time as guest's and then as friends. Clean, honest and friendly B&B.

Room Tip: Phone Annette
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadstairs
The Yarrow Hotel
#7 of 24 in Broadstairs
Broadstairs House
Broadstairs House
#5 of 24 in Broadstairs

Been to Merriland? Share your experiences!