“like being in a cosy front room”
Review of Spice Cottage

Spice Cottage
Ranked #95 of 139 Restaurants in Broadstairs
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 17 November 2012

everything about this place is excellent, the food, the service the atmosphere and value. A little gem just off the main drag.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

... eat elsewhere would probably be my advice.
if you've read my reviews, you will know I like a curry and eat out a lot.
As is our habit, my wife and I had a curry each and one in the middle for both of us, plus naans, mushroom bhajee, poppadoms and rices.
Now, first things first.
No alcohol is served.....not a problem if you are a local and know that, hence the number of people turning up with stuffed carrier bags. We didnt know that, so consuned soft drinks. Not a problem, just saying, because for some it would be an issue of biblical proportions.
Poppadoms.....stale. Cooked hours beforehand by the taste of them.
Rices..... mushrrom and keema. both adequate.
Naans..... peshwari and keema. both nice and tasty.
Mushroom bhajee. Interesting and edible.
Chicken Tikka Yaziz. quite the blandest curry it has ever been my misfortune to eat.
Chicken Tikka Patia. on a 1-10 staggered eventually to 5.
Chicken Tikka C[something]. middle of the middle page. Hot, sweet curry by the written description. Was excellent and disappeared quickly.
So the meal teetered on the cusp of acceptable, especially as we were hungry.
The premises betray themselves as the house it once was, and the more I sat there, and, in truth, the more people arrived, the less I wanted to eat there.
The waiter was competent enough, but seemed to be made nervous by the senior male, who oozed an attitude that was less than welcoming.
The lady of the house was charming.
Spice Cottage simply isnt ideal by any standard, and the combination of the average food and cramped, spartan interior just turned me off ever returning should I be back in the area.
Thirty years ago maybe, but not now, when there are so many fine indian restaurants to choose from.

1  Thank HeatherandChris
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My husband has enjoyed his take away treat at the spice cottage for quite a few years, but this last visit was terrible. His prawn puri was watery and tasteless and the chicken tikka masala was more like some tikka pieces in a non discript tomato sauce.
We wont be back!

1  Thank BJN3
Reviewed 24 May 2012

A tricky one to rate for me because i enjoy good, almost rustic indian food if you like but i can clearly see that the actual restaurant does need a bit of attention. I have visited on at least five occasions and had many takeaways and the food is always of a good standard and portions very generous. My most recent dishes have been lamb achari and saag chicken and the side dishes are all very tasty. This latest visit showed the staff and service to still be fine, and the nice red i took along, as its not licensed, made for a very enjoyable evening. I do agree though with some other views that the decor does look very tired now and almost a little shabby in places. Im not quite sure that a overly modern makeover would suit this traditional restaurant but i also think some people will not be enticed by the current appearance. My view is ignore the decoration and enjoy the food!

3  Thank dwmarr
Reviewed 8 April 2012

the food was good but went in a large party and what a nightmare when it came to pay! won't be experiencing that again