“Gone downhill”

Bannatyne Health Club & Spa - Broadstairs
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We took advantage of the day-spa package and returned to Bannatyne's Broadstairs facility as it is a little closer to home than Ashford and has the added advantage of the outdoor pool and relaxation room with heated recliner beds.

Unfortunately the experience was definitely not up to our previous visits. There is now a £3.00 charge to hire gown and slippers - the gown clearly being very old and tatty and the slippers evidently not new (they are meant to be disposable but I suspect they get recycled if they're returned to reception). No towels are provided. Reception staff were less welcoming than usual and other members of staff were abrupt bordering on plain rude.

There are notices everywhere you look in this facility, even multiple signs saying the same thing fixed right next to eachother. There were tannoy announcements - no phones to be used, no bags to be taken to the pool are etc and we were reprimanded for leaving our towels on the sunloungers and for trying to take our bags to the sunlounger area - bags with book/goggles/water bottle/towel; things that you would reasonably want with you on a "spa day". On more than one occaision we were made to feel like an inconvenience rather than valued customers.

The overall appearance of the pool area is tired & slightly grimey - limescale built up and stained walls/ceiling/surfaces which are in need of a deep clean.

The staff in the spa itself were friendly and I had a very nice massage however this establishment is clearly trying to make profit from the everyday gym members as well as selling itself as a "spa facility" and certainly falling down on the latter. The luxury element is definitely missing and we will try returning to Ashford or avoiding Bannatynes altogether next time.

2  Thank If_only_I_were_rich

Reviewed 13 October 2012

We paid £1100 for a years membership and to enjoyed the outside pool more than anything else. On three different occasions we heard the sales rep responsible for new bookings saying to prospective clients "Don't worry, the kids are not always here". Young chap clearly sucking up to new clients. My children have always been very quiet whilst most members sit in the spa/jacuzzi . Will not be joining again

2  Thank Antony W
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We used a gift spa-day experience voucher at Broadstairs because it was about an hour from where we live by car, and chose the Sunday of the August BH weekend. The venue has ample parking; is near a huge Tesco; and is also about 15 minute walk to a large shopping complex with a range of places to eat and shop. We had use of the 'dual' room where I had a 1-hour massage, whereas my wife had 30 minutes of massage and 30 minutes facial. The lighting was down low with candles and ambient music making us feel very relaxed before the treatment even began. We were also dressed the part in fluffy dressing downs and slippers. There was also a 'relaxation room' which had reclining 'seat's that were tiled but also heated underneath that were just dreamy to lie down on.

The treatments themselves were great, and before long my mind was wondering into its own world of drifting in/out of consciousness as Amy worked her way through my knots and aching muscles, back, shoulders, arms and legs. I completely lost track of the time and it was the first time that I'd had a massage whilst someone else had been in the same room at the same time; but Hayley also did a great relaxing job on my other half. After the hour was complete we returned to those relaxation loungers and read some magazines whilst sipping ice-cool lemon-infused water.

We briefly used the ~20m indoor and ~20m outdoor pools. It being a nice day it was more pleasant to be swimming in the open air, and the pool must have been slightly heated! Very nice to be sitting on a sun-lounger reading a book by the pool when it was only an hour's drive from London!

Definitely recommend treating oneself and a friend to a spa day and the Broadstairs venue is one that I would recommend.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Having enjoyed many spa days I would say that going to a chain group is never as nice as going to individual tailored spas The bannaryne goup has a good gym nice pool and the spa was nice. The deal we had was £65 for two for facial or massage and use of facilities. The facial was basic and if you go into a double you will be distracted by the noises of pots being opened and picked up They sell the treatments as elemis however the cleansing is using other products and the basic facial does not give luxury mask or serum after. It's ok but not at the top end of spa deals and being in a retail park next to tescos lowers the tone. Make sure you take towels.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Read the reviews on this spa after going to bannatyne at ashford & being extremly disapointed!! The reviews for here were good. So thought give it ago, booked the spa for my mum for her birthday. Arriving at spa was easy to get to. Staff in spa need more customer service training. We brought our robes for £2 each which came with slippers & was given a guided tour. The eatting area was in reception. So wasnt relaxing. The treatments were good but basic. For £70 it was over priced. The changing rooms were cold with freezing dirty showers. Very busy full of people who were rude! & for every other soa day ive been to ive been given a towel. But but they only had towels you could buy!! Wont be returning soon