“Lovely Hotel”

Royal Albion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Broadstairs
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night on a business stopover. The hotel is very friendly and very well appointed and very tastefully decorated. The furniture, fixtures and fitting were of high quality and overall the hotel left me with a good impression. Breakfast was my only meal which was enjoyed on the terrace in the sun with the sound of the waves lapping on the beach, I had to tear myself away.
I was travelling alone so opted for the single room 18 mentioned in an earlier review. Yes it is a very small room overlooking the road, but it is only a single and I don't partake in cat swinging very often! The bathroom was a good size, there was enough storage (for 1 night anyway), the only thing it lacked for me was a desk.
I would look forward to staying in this hotel again, even in room 18, although a sea view room would be a real bonus if you have the option.

Room Tip: South facing rooms face the road.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Ja W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Booked a room with this hotel had a confirmation from the hotel confirmed the day before arriving. Arrive on the day my room has been cancelled and no rooms available absolutely ruined not only my bday weekend but the wedding I was meant to attend. Will never book with them again or suggest this hotel. Management really unhelpful and extremely clueless. Looking at the hotel not worth the money they were charging either.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Tala M
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a great position and the staff were really nice and helpful.

A colleague booked this hotel for me and I understand room 18 was the last room.

Ok it's not a seaview but not all rooms can have that. The disappointment was the size. Definitely no room to swing a cat. It was depressingly small with no desk for working.

The bed and pillows were like bricks!!

There was a lot of noise from the road as the room was at the front.

All in all a very poor nights sleep.

The bar staff knew how to pour a pont of guiness. The reception staff were really helpful. The restauant staff and quality of food were excellent.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul F
Kent
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Have just spent the weekend away at this hotel and had a really nice time. On arrival the hotel looked nice and we were soon checked in, on the way up to our room though the decor of the stairwell I thought was a bit too dark and off putting so was dreading what the room would be like. The room however was really nice and up to date unlike the stairwell. Room was airy and light and the bathroom top notch. The only problem we had or at least for me anyway, was the fact that we were Street facing.. No real problem at first, until that is of a night time when trying to sleep. Unfortunately there is no air con in the room or fan, so with Friday being the hottest day for sometime we had to have the window open, this meant that we could hear everything going on in the street beneath us until about 1.30 am, not the fault of the hotel, but air con would at least have eliminated this problem as at one point I was thinking that if I were on my own I would have checked out and driven home. The second night I slept with ear plugs in and had the best nights sleep in ages, so earplugs in my opinion are a must.
We ate out the first night at the Indian restaurant directly across from the hotel and the meal was one of the best Indians I have had in a long time. The second night we tried several locations but everywhere was fully booked, so if you plan to eat out then best to book up. Because we were unable to find anywhere to eat we decided to eat in the hotel. The food was good and the waiter even better, although if it had been busy I think he may have struggled on his own.
The breakfasts are very good and again the staff were very attentive, didn't get the waiters name but think he is Italian and he was very good and nothing seemed like too much bother and he was always smiling and chirpy.
Would I go back, tough one really as really did enjoy my stay but the lack of air con and the noise from the street would make me think twice before booking, if air con was in the rooms so as I didn't have to have the window open though then I would book it again in a flash as the staff and the location of the hotel made for a nice weekend away.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrBainsy
maidstone
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed in superior room on offer £i00 per night reduction of £45 per night lovely large room king size bed , facing sea and beach,great shower.Customer service very good, not sutable for elderly
couples as no lift, as building dates back to 1756 therfor listed

Room Tip: room 26 2nd floor not suitable for elderly couples, no lift hotel built 1756 therefor a listed bu...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maidstonebob
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Decided to stay in Broadstairs Friday, 11 April 2014 as it was my husband's 50th birthday. The young receptionist who checked us in was extremely welcoming and booked us a lovely table in the hotel's restaurant, where we found the food to be extremely good and the waitress/waiter were extremely attentive.
Our room was lovely, had a balcony overlooking the sea front, and enjoyed sitting out with a cup of tea on the Saturday morning watching the world go by.

Only negative was on checking out. A different person on the reception who found it hard to even make eye contact - why be in a front line role?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Mandy H
Buckland Monachorum, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We have family in Broadstairs and visited for a cousin's wedding, though I had spent many summers in the town as a child I had never visited the Royal Albion. I am so glad we stayed there! The hotel isn't the cheapest in the town, but is very well presented with friendly staff and a high standard of food and drink.

We had booked a cream tea for our arrival (just the thing after a 6 hour drive), and were amazed when it came out. We had expected scones, jam, cream and a pot of tea...not 12 sandwiches, 4 types of cake, plus scones and tea! It was lovely and was certainly enough to tide two of us over until dinner!

The room was not overly large, but big enough. The décor and presentation were fasntastic; everything was clean and fresh, but the room was still characterful and comfortable (though a bigger bed would have been nice!). The usual tea and coffee facilities were there, as well as biscuits and hot chocolate. There were also lovely toiletries supplied, I wasn't expecting shoe polishing kits as well, though!

Sadly, my husband didn't sleep well. However, the weather was very warm and he was having to share a smaller-than-he-is-used-to bed with one of the worst sleepers (wriggling, duvet thievery and sleep walking) in the South West (or in this case, South East).

The shower took a little bit of working out (don't they all?), but was very powerful and hot. There was over-spray into the bathroom, but in the grand scheme of things it really didn't matter!

Breakfast was very good; there was a wide variety and the staff were again very chirpy and helpful. They even re-arranged a couple of tables so that we were able to sit next to our family.

Broadstairs is a fantastic place and I would recommend staying at the Royal Albion; the prices aren't cheap, but they are worth every penny. Though it has no car park, the hotel will supply you with parking tickets (free of charge) which can be renewed every 24 hours.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor, a standard double with a sea view, I think. Go for the sea view...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadstairs
The Yarrow Hotel
Sands Hotel
Sands Hotel
#1 of 12 in Margate
Travelodge Ramsgate Seafront

Been to Royal Albion Hotel? Share your experiences!