“Disappointing Lunch”

The George Vaults Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
The George Vaults Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 137 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: British, Bar, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: ONCE A CHURCH, PREVIOUSLY AN INN, NOW A CONTEMPORARY BRASSERIE WINE BAR For generations residents and visitors have delighted in the rich history and architecture that combine to make Rochester, Kent's shining light in the Garden of England. At the George Vaults we have continued in this rich history and added a modern twist with a touch of class. Based in the centre of Rochester with three floors and five distinctive areas, there are few venues that offer such choice and high standards. MAIN BAR Main dinning area where by day you may endulge in lunch, dinner or just enjoy a refreshing drink and by night, subtle lighting and candle lit tables create a relaxed and chilled ambience Sunday to Thursday, with Friday and Saturday a more upbeat and vibrant atmosphere with great music for all to enjoy. LOUNGE BAR Beautifully contemporary bar consisting of large sofas and comfy chairs, perfect for a good catch up with friends. AFFINITY BAR A fun and relaxed cocktail bar split on two levels. High level for lounging, with areas that can be sectioned off for small groups, great for hen parties! The lower level has a dance floor/standing area and a small cocktail bar. Don't miss out on some great cocktail offers VAULT BAR A grade 2 listed 14th Century crypt is truly outstanding, commonly used for private functions and weddings, but also for private dining. THE COURTYARD Perfect for relaxing days and nights. Also a popular meeting area for lunch in the sun! Most our bars are available for private hire, so we can suit all your needs. Why not ask a member of the George Vaults team about the hire of a bar for your special event? ​A relaxed brasserie available 7 days a weeks, a place where you can dine for lunch or dinner in our main bar, courtyard or Vault, with a variety of a la carte dishes to suit your taste buds. Brasserie a la carte available Monday to Thursday 12-9pm Friday & Saturday 12-4.30Pm Traditional Sunday Roast Sunday 12-4.30 Pm
Kent
“Disappointing Lunch”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Now don't get me wrong, because I really like this place when visited on nights out, but I had never eaten there before today.
A friend and I after wandering along the High Street decided to have lunch here. I went for the Larder Board which consisted of Ham hock, grilled chicken, root vegetable slaw, grilled vegetables, chutneys and homemade bread. We waiting a good 20 minutes maybe more for our meal to arrive. On arrival and after only taking a few bites of ham I noticed a hair on the food. It took me about 10 mins to get a waitress' attention, and I apologised for sending the food back because of the hair. I was asked if I wanted just the items where the hair was replaced or the whole board, to which I requested the whole meal be changed. It must have taken a good 30 mins before my 'new' board arrived.... with no apology for the delay or the hair on the previous meal. By this time my friend had finshed her meal. I started to eat this meal and noticed the grilled chicken was dripping in oil, and that the roasted veg looked similar. It looked like the items from my last board had just been dropped in the deep fryer to re-heat and serve up to me again.... the chicken looked disgusting, literally with oil swimming on the little dish it was served up in. Once again, no one came to check if this meal was ok either. I eventually caught the waitress eye again and said that it was dripping in oil and that I couldnt eat it and was not prepared to pay for it. The miserable looking young lady took the board away, no apologies yet again and did not return to the table, or anyone else for that matter to actually deal with my complaint. I was very dissatisfied. That said, my dinner partner had salmon with pasta and roasted cherry tomatoes which looked very nice.
I had one wine spritzer during the course of our stay, and couldnt believe that I was still charged for this. We were allowed to leave the building totally dissatisfied.

This was my first visit here to actually eat. I really like it here in the evenings when it is a totally different place, but I certainly would not bother eating here again. The main Vaults Restaurant downstairs hopefully is a lot better than the food served upstairs.

• Visited November 2013

“Used to be great not so much now!”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Me and my girl friends have had some great meals at this place, and really enjoyed the food in the past. But have to say really think the food is not as good as last few years and other customers were complaining when we were there. The puddings were very poor and really not worth the money, also the starter was terrible and had a hair in it!!. But on the upside the girls who served us were very nice and gave great service. Won't be rushing back!!.

• Visited November 2013
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“It must be me”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I like the George Vaults, another splendid eating establishment in High Street, Rochester, Kent. A friend and his wife invited ne there and as I have passed the building many times this was a good opportunity to find out what it was like inside. It really is a very nice, luxurious venue throughout and I was more than impressed with the relaxed atmosphere in the spacious garden, its décor, the garden furniture and outside bar.

We ordered food and drinks which were delivered reasonably fast. The menu is extensive but I settled for good old fish, chips and mushy peas. Unfortunately my meal arrived on a piece of flat wood, which apparently is trendy now. You guessed it, the fish and chips went cold very quickly and I struggled to eat it. Even at this pricing level I would have preferred a proper heated plate and a cover to keep the food hot during its journey from kitchen to the garden.

Perhaps I have been too fussy as in fairness I have only eaten at the George Vaults once, and I certainly will eat there again. Reviews are always difficult based on just one experience, and my complaint is only a small one which can easily be rectified. Anyway lots of eating places do not serve food on hot plates. By and large I rate the George Vaults very highly nearer 97%, except for my own cold fish and chips experience.

• Visited July 2013
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Surprising”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

As with other reviewers, we had walked past this place many times as we weren't sure what sort of a place it was. Decided to risk it after looking at the menu. The service was excellent, very friendly and prompt. Food really very good. I had the halloumi and butternut squash flat bread, which came with salad and salsa. The flat bread was home made and the salsa complemented the richness of the squash and halloumi perfectly. My husband had the steak burger, which came with a home made roll and delicious root salad with beetroot and celeriac. Can't wait to go back - I have my eye on the ham hock sandwich, which someone at another table had ordered and looked wonderful.

• Visited September 2013
Chatham, United Kingdom
“great meal”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

lovely food and good value at the normal price,but the special offer of two meals and a bottle of wine for £20 must be unbeatable value this includes the sirloin steak. we absolutely loved the eton mess

• Visited August 2013