“Good Value Sunday Roast”

The George Vaults Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
The George Vaults Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 137 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: ONCE A CHURCH, PREVIOUSLY AN INN, NOW A CONTEMPORARY BRASSERIE WINE BAR For generations residents and visitors have delighted in the rich history and architecture that combine to make Rochester, Kent's shining light in the Garden of England. At the George Vaults we have continued in this rich history and added a modern twist with a touch of class. Based in the centre of Rochester with three floors and five distinctive areas, there are few venues that offer such choice and high standards. MAIN BAR Main dinning area where by day you may endulge in lunch, dinner or just enjoy a refreshing drink and by night, subtle lighting and candle lit tables create a relaxed and chilled ambience Sunday to Thursday, with Friday and Saturday a more upbeat and vibrant atmosphere with great music for all to enjoy. LOUNGE BAR Beautifully contemporary bar consisting of large sofas and comfy chairs, perfect for a good catch up with friends. AFFINITY BAR A fun and relaxed cocktail bar split on two levels. High level for lounging, with areas that can be sectioned off for small groups, great for hen parties! The lower level has a dance floor/standing area and a small cocktail bar. Don't miss out on some great cocktail offers VAULT BAR A grade 2 listed 14th Century crypt is truly outstanding, commonly used for private functions and weddings, but also for private dining. THE COURTYARD Perfect for relaxing days and nights. Also a popular meeting area for lunch in the sun! Most our bars are available for private hire, so we can suit all your needs. Why not ask a member of the George Vaults team about the hire of a bar for your special event? ​A relaxed brasserie available 7 days a weeks, a place where you can dine for lunch or dinner in our main bar, courtyard or Vault, with a variety of a la carte dishes to suit your taste buds. Brasserie a la carte available Monday to Thursday 12-9pm Friday & Saturday 12-4.30Pm Traditional Sunday Roast Sunday 12-4.30 Pm
London
“Good Value Sunday Roast”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Went with friends last Sunday and ate down in the vaults, which is atmospheric and very different from most Sunday lunch venues. We had three courses and found the food very reasonable, served hot, with adequate portions. The tiger prawn starter in particular was noteworthy, with very juicy prawns. The main course beef wasn't underdone like in some places that think we should be eating raw meat. The choc sundae deserts were a bit of a sweetness splurge and rounded things off nicely. With drinks it came to around £20 pp which seemed good value. The service was also good with pleasant waitresses. Some months before I'd had fish and chips in the bar upstairs, and that was okay. So, all-in-all, a very reasonable place to eat.

• Visited March 2014

Rochester, United Kingdom
“Great”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I used to walk past this restaurant but don't make the same mistake. Food and great staff, extremely relaxing time. The roast are great although the pork has changed it's still lovely. Definitely worth a visit.

Rochester, United Kingdom
“good value”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We regular visit the Georges Vault, sometimes only for a drink, but mainly for one of their special offers ( 2 Main plus bottle of wine) for £ 20.00. We never found any fault at the vault. The sundays roast especially when taken down in the Vault is highly to be reccomended, and the setting is spectacular. If you are visiting Rochester and choose to eat there, ask the friendly staff for the Vault, otherwise you will miss it. Booked already Valenine's dinner there, after last years positive experience

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Rainer M
Benoni, South Africa
“Lunch on a cold autumn day”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We shared lunch here after our visit to the Cathedral and the Castle. The food was excellent, I can recommend a visit there. A good wine list and good selection of good meals. It was well worth the wait.

• Visited December 2013
Kent
“Disappointing Lunch”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Now don't get me wrong, because I really like this place when visited on nights out, but I had never eaten there before today.
A friend and I after wandering along the High Street decided to have lunch here. I went for the Larder Board which consisted of Ham hock, grilled chicken, root vegetable slaw, grilled vegetables, chutneys and homemade bread. We waiting a good 20 minutes maybe more for our meal to arrive. On arrival and after only taking a few bites of ham I noticed a hair on the food. It took me about 10 mins to get a waitress' attention, and I apologised for sending the food back because of the hair. I was asked if I wanted just the items where the hair was replaced or the whole board, to which I requested the whole meal be changed. It must have taken a good 30 mins before my 'new' board arrived.... with no apology for the delay or the hair on the previous meal. By this time my friend had finshed her meal. I started to eat this meal and noticed the grilled chicken was dripping in oil, and that the roasted veg looked similar. It looked like the items from my last board had just been dropped in the deep fryer to re-heat and serve up to me again.... the chicken looked disgusting, literally with oil swimming on the little dish it was served up in. Once again, no one came to check if this meal was ok either. I eventually caught the waitress eye again and said that it was dripping in oil and that I couldnt eat it and was not prepared to pay for it. The miserable looking young lady took the board away, no apologies yet again and did not return to the table, or anyone else for that matter to actually deal with my complaint. I was very dissatisfied. That said, my dinner partner had salmon with pasta and roasted cherry tomatoes which looked very nice.
I had one wine spritzer during the course of our stay, and couldnt believe that I was still charged for this. We were allowed to leave the building totally dissatisfied.

This was my first visit here to actually eat. I really like it here in the evenings when it is a totally different place, but I certainly would not bother eating here again. The main Vaults Restaurant downstairs hopefully is a lot better than the food served upstairs.

• Visited November 2013