“Exactly what we ALL needed!”
Review of Kings Head Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rochester
Kings Head Hotel
Ranked #14 of 17 Rochester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I don't usually write reviews but after the amazing stay that myself and my partner had I just had to share. Both stressed out over work with no chance of a holiday in sight we decided just to get away for the weekend nearby but only problem is there is no one to look after our dogs. I googled hotels that cater for dogs and we came across the kings head. It was the most amazing weekend I have ever had. The food was amazing, the hotel rooms clean and comfy and the staff were so friendly that we felt like we were amongst friends. On checking out we were surprised at our low bill used to London prices but We would of easily of paid double for our stay as it was so worth it!!! I've already booked the 4 of us back in October (2 dogs) and I honestly can't wait. Absolute fav if you do find yourself eating here is the Ham fondue!!

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights it is a disgrace. Had to share a bathroom which was filthy with no soap, clean towels etc. No tea tray not even a clean glass for some water. Carpet was very worn and dirty. The noise outside was terrible no sleep for two nights. Rochester is such a nice place to stay its just a shame that this place is a terrible let down.

Room Tip: had a look in four rooms all terrible although they where en-siute .Rooms on the front are terrible...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pebbles123london
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

I resently stayed in the hotel for two nights fantastic stay, the room was lovely they even explained that the rooms are going to become even better what I can not wait for ! With still affordable prices I will be staying again.

During my visit they brought out a brand new food menu what looked and tasted fantastic with a good prices. The bar team were really helpful and the waitressing topped it off.

I saw a letter saying new management new team new attatude. I could 100% agree with this good luck in the future and ill see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have been coming here most weeks for quite some time now, whether it was for a quick drink after work, or a Sunday lunch with my family. Never had any problems until very recently.

I am normally greeted by friendly bubbly staff and a gentlemen who I believe was the manager. Recently however, I've noticed the staff were less welcoming, and more programmed like robots. I order a lager and it was flat (not a problem, they happily offered to change it for me), however the barmaid came back and said she didn't know how to change the barrel. I asked her where her manager was if he could changed it,and she said she was in charge. So I asked for a refund and she said was unable to authorise one.

Having worked in customer service myself, I gave her the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was a bad day. But I came in again the following week and there were no lagers on tap ATALL. Ordered a coffee and got told they were also out of coffee beans. The bar staff all seemed like they didn't know what they were doing. And when I asked to speak to the manager, they had to go and get him from outside where he was getting drunk with the doormen.

I am genuinely upset to see this place slowly going downhill. I'm not sure if its new management or staff, but I haven't seen a lot of the old faces or the gentleman who I think was the manager before. I have never written a review before, but I wanted to let them know I won't be going there for a while, and they need to make some huge changes if they intend on keeping regular loyal customers in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank CookieChloe
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Booked with Alec, and paid over the telephone. Bad move .This was booked in February. Arrived at 3.30 pm, was told a guest had our keys. We got the room after 20 minutes. Sorry to say, not clean and i cannot say a good thing about it, which annoys me as i was told the hotel did have a major refurbishment after it had received negative comments back in 2012. The bar maybe, not the rooms or stairs leading to the rooms .
No breakfast unless you wait till the chef gets in at 9.30/10.00.

GOOD POINTS; right by the castle as promised. Before and after the gig Alec was playing a greatest hits of the band, nice touch. Nice bar, nice staff. The outside of the building is impressive. Alec your a gentleman and we feel sorry for you as you must be under constant pressure, after all you are
Manager / Reception / cleaner / barman / and probably a lot more besides.

TO THE OWNER/OWNERS, Give this man the rooms he and the hotel deserve. Your sitting on a little gold mine.

Check out, left at 7.00am, never done that before. Door to main building locked, left keys on the big food range at the bottom of the stairs.

Room Tip: sorry no more i can say
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tthefourthcord
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stayed here for one night from a Friday to Saturday as we were in the area for a wedding. We had a twin room (due to it being a last minute booking) but this was changed to a family room at the last minute.
Having walked through a bustling bar (80s night I think), we were taken into a stairwell that was lined with unwanted furniture, making the walk up to our room difficult with our bags. We were then taken into a room that seemed clean upon first inspection but on looking for a plug socket to charge our mobile phones, we found that behind the desk (the only plug socket available in a room for supposedly four people) the carpet was filthy. As for the towels, we were given one bath towel and one hand towel- the bath towel (white) had various marks on it.
The mattresses on the bed were tired and you could feel every spring through them. As it was hot, we slept above the covers but having read other people's review, I'm glad I didn't get inside!
Staff member who dealt with us on check in was friendly.
Have stayed in better hostels than this for cheaper prices, I recommend that you do the same.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed here for one night - the people are lovely and the location great. I just found the room to be a little shabby and not so clean - sheets were clean but colour stained. Our room was a good size though and we had a good night's sleep. Perfectly fine for a night or two.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple