“Clean, tidy, good breakfast.”
Review of Greystones B&B

Greystones B&B
and 1 more site!
Greystones B&B
Ranked #7 of 17 Rochester B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Clean, tidy, good breakfast.”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Two guys working in the area it was nice to get a single room at a good rate because normally we have to twin up. Parking is on-street free after 5pm until 10am so not a problem if you are working and it's a residential street so I felt safe leaving tools in the van overnight.
Wifi is a bit hit and miss.
Breakfast is nice.
Good rates.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Mark A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2013

House rules in a nutshell are:

1) I'll lie to you or deliberately double book rooms to get you through the door.
2) I reserve the right to move you round from room to room as a result.
3) If I've ran out of rooms because I've completely lost track of what the hell is going on in my B&B, I'll move you to another B&B.
4) I'll charge you top dollar for my distinctly average accommodation and level of service
And most importantly,
5) if you don't like it, or think there's something even remotely wrong with this practice, I'll kick you out on the street and confiscate your belongings until you pay up.

Sound good to you?

Here's the story:

I booked a double en-suite, single occupancy, for 5 nights, Sunday night to Thursday night, as I'm working in the area and my regular B&B was on holiday. It was late notice as I booked on the Thursday just before the Sunday arrival date. Nevertheless, he booked me in. Great. As I was traveling down, I got a text telling me someone had extended their stay so I'd been put in the other double with en-suite. Fine. Didn't see him until the Monday night after work when he told me I'd be moving into the room I'd actually booked the next day. OK. The next day however, I received a text message basically telling me I had the choice of a) moving to yet another room that week, so moving twice in one week, or b) moving to a completely different B&B, because another person had extended their stay. I was, I think quite understandably, not impressed by this, so replied to say that I'd been given a reservation for 5 nights, if someone's plans had changed and he couldn't accommodate them, this was their problem and it should be up to the other person to find somewhere else to stay; and also, that if I'd been faced with this choice earlier, I would've booked with another B&B anyway, rather than get messed around. He replied to tell me that I was a weirdo, the odd one out, that no-one else had a problem with this (probably because they got to stay in their rooms!) so I could get my stuff and get lost, and he'd be telling all the other B&B owners in the area to blacklist me. Absolutely unbelievable.

I turned up after work to face the music; he asked me for the money I owed him; I said that he distinctly gave me the impression on the phone earlier that day that he didn't want any money and just wanted rid of me, to which he made some sort of strange noise and told me he'd "already phoned the police and had them on stand-by to deal with the likes of me". Needless to say this didn't endear him to me any further. I pointed out how brave and strong a man he'd shown himself to be and questioned whether by the "likes of me" he meant a perfectly normal person who books a room in a place for 5 nights, is given a reservation and actually expects to stay in that room for the entire duration of their stay?! He phoned the police. So I phoned the police, just for good measure. The police came. The police couldn't do anything. It was a civil matter, and yet not very civil all at the same time. They said "you have to pay him for the time you've spent here". So I paid £80 for the two cold and draughty nights I'd had there. Two nights without shampoo or shower gel, a decent large towel to dry myself with, any of those nice chocolates and biscuits, or bottle of water, that get replenished every day, and no fine array of tea's, coffee's and hot chocolate that it's nice to enjoy in the morning or evening when you're miles away from home and actually form part of the reason you chose a so called "high end" place at £40 per night. I note that I was glad I'd negotiated down from the £50 per night he initially wanted. I'll also add that I understand most of those things are not particularly important but I rely on the shower gel and shampoo now, because everywhere else I've stayed in Rochester they're provided as a matter of course, so I've stopped carrying them around and was therefore caught out. In saying that however, I know that to get a 4 star rating, ALL of these things are HIGHLY important as they add up to allow the owner to charge £40 - £50 per night. Without them, as with this place, you're simply not getting what you're paying for and being overcharged.

So basically, the message received from his actions are that he thinks he can do whatever he likes; get you booked in under false pretenses, move you around from pillar to post like a piece of cattle, and if you don't like it, you can get out. No choice or say in the matter whatsoever. Hence the above rules.

I've thought about this a lot since and I've also spoken to the few other B&B owners I now know in Rochester, all of whom know and have no problem with me, and have come to the conclusion that he does this sort of thing as a matter of standard practice, i.e. deliberately double booking then moving people around from either room to room or place to place. I was told stories about people being taken to these other B&B's, after he admitted he'd double booked, only to report what a terrible experience they'd had with him. So if you want this to happen to you, book at Greystones!

I don't know, perhaps it was all because I'm not one of his "regulars" or "favourites"... but is this any way to do business and build up new custom?

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
16 Thank Itinerant99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
The King Charles Hotel
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Village Hotel Maidstone
Village Hotel Maidstone
#3 of 14 in Maidstone

Been to Greystones B&B? Share your experiences!