“Bistro Dining at the Roffen”
Review of The Roffen

The Roffen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Roffen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 137 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Restaurant 41... We are now open to non members Our new Head Chef David Kirby serving a full ala carte menu 7 days a week. Traditional Sunday Lunch and Buffets for parties. Please come and try us out.
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Bistro Dining at the Roffen”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I am a member and regularly eat at the Roffen Club although not always in the Restaurant, I usually eat in the Bistro dining area. I regularly take friends with me to eat and all of them have been very impressed with the food, it really is fabulous. The Staff have always been friendly and helpful and are always happy to adjust the menus to accommodate. The swimming pool is beautiful and the changing areas are always warm and clean. I've read through some of the other reviews and I have to disagree about the changing rooms they seem fine to me. I love visiting the Roffen Club, I would recommend eating there and joining the club, it's fabulous.

Rochester, United Kingdom
“Another great meal at the Roffen”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Love the restaurant, its small and relaxed good atmosphere, the staff are friendly and attentive. The menu changes monthly which is brilliant as we like to eat there a lot. The wine and dine offer amazing value. Last night had the mussels in Thai broth followed by cod and homemade pasta, no room for dessert as the portions are always so generous. Delicious meal in relaxed friendly surroundings. Reading some of the reviews just wanted to say I once had a tuna steak which was overcooked. When I complained the staff were brilliant, it was taken straight off the bill and a free drink to make up for it .Look forward to next visit

Rochester
“Great food! Very disappointing service!!!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

26 of us visited on 12/4/14 but despite having spoken to 3 members of staff and explaining that we were a cancer support group (in fact I had an in depth conversation with 1 manager about it) when making the booking, we arrived to be told they had been expecting a hen party. Not sure exactly how that happens.
We had the 'Wine & Dine' deal. We would all like to convey that the food was lovely and extremely good value for money. We would like to pass on our compliments to the chef and kitchen staff.
However, the level of service from our waitresses was awful. Service with a smile it was not! We were made to feel as if we were in the way from the moment we arrived and were ushered out the door the moment we put our spoons down after eating our desserts. They had not placed the tables correctly. Some of our members had no side plates, others no glasses to drink from. It had been agreed that those who did/could not drink would be offered soft drinks in place of wine but nothing was forthcoming.
It appeared that they struggled to cope with a booking of our size so not sure why they accepted it in the first place really.

Chatham, United Kingdom
“WOW - VERY IMPRESSED”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We went to the restaurant last night there was myself, my husband and our two friends, the customer service was 'very good' the food - WAS AMAZING, the atmosphere was great, it is clean. we went for the meal package with unlimited wine - couldn't have asked for any more. I have never tasted steak like it, every course that we all had was fantastic. The manager on last night (really sorry cannot remember her name) wonderful lady, very accommodating, lovely person, very friendly you are an asset to The Roffen. I never leave a tip anywhere I go - I did last night, thank you to you all for making our evening very special. Maxine

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Maxine H
Rochester, England, United Kingdom
“Vegey no!”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We have always been very impressed with the food at the Roffen club.Until recently,that is!we visited with two friends who are also vegetarian,she had just become a member of the club and wanted to sample the food.We had three,fortunately unfussy "veggies" in the group,but we were all very challenged to find anything exciting or different on the menu. One had the curry soup and pronounced it to be "ok" but, my husband had goats cheese,with a few leaves,he said you know even I could have produced better than that!, a cook he is not!the other lady fiddled a lot with her meal,but was obviously not eating it or yet enjoying!There was nothing at all that I wanted as a starter so I had a small roll,hard as a bullet! We were so unimpressed with our mains,that we can only rember that someone had spring rolls(just that) the desserts were ok but again un memorable.really this lacklustre,please yourself service really was so dissappointing and as our friends generously footed the bill, I feel dreadfully ungrateful complaining,however,I DO feel strongly that this once excellent establishment has gone disastrously downhill,I would hate for anyone else to have such an experience,nobody asked how our meal was,or why had we left such a lot on our plates,there were no alternatives offered,when I mentioned that I was allergic to ingredients in several of the starters.It would have been simple to offer the same dish minus the offending items,but they were either not listening or just did not care! Sorry Roffen Club, but pull your socks up,in these times people will simply not pay for failure!!!!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank ChristineHubbard
984saraH, Owner at The Roffen, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
We would like to thank Christine for taking the time to review The Roffen and we are sorry that she was so disappointed in her evening despite previously finding our food very impressive.
One of the problems in any restaurant is that one can have an evening that goes wrong for the diners, and it seems this was one of those.
On behalf of our hard working and very caring team we really don't feel we are going 'disasterously downhill' on the basis of one meal. Could we suggest that if something like this happens then please let us know at the time. A complaint to the waitress, and if that fails, a call for the duty manager, will always, always solve the problem. Once we know something is going wrong we bend over backwards to get the evening back on track and we nearly always succeed.
Our sincere apologies to Christine and her party and we sincerely hope they will give us another chance!
The Roffen Club