All reviewssmall barprivate parkinga stones throwrump steakhotel is in a great locationlisted buildingstar hotelroast dinnerbig roomlovely atmosphereshort staytrain stationvisiting rochestergraduation
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Old quaint hotel with friendly staff in excellant location for tourists

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My wife and I booked into the hotel to meet up with family. The hotel is centrally located and although there was a student graduation, with parties etc, going on the area was not noisy at night. Hotel is a good mixture of original Victorian features with modern, clean rooms. Staff were very friendly and helpful, breakfast was good. Bathroom could have done with a better shower.
Good value for money and I happily recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Rooms in the back would be quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We did not plan to stay in Rochester but were so negatively suprised by Chatham that we just stumbled on Rochester instead and liked the High Street. There is not much accomodation there so we got stuck with this hotel. Price, well, not too bad but once you see what you get I think it's overpriced. Basic room, outdated, mostly clean, but it just has this old tired feel to it. We actually stumbled on the four poster bed room at the front of the hotel. Four poster, ha ha, four plastic tubes with some sheer curtain material. Anyway, location is great, you're in the cathedral in seconds and the castle is very near too. Also the high street is not bad, some nice shoppies and restaurants, we enjoyed that (did not enjoy the lunch we had and skipped the breakfast in the hotel because of that, it's cheap, with a reason). High street is kind of lively but we enjoyed it nevertheless and we did get a reasonable night sleep. We just feel this hotel is at the end of it's lifespan, it needs a good overhaul, bringing into the new millenium. Parking is easy, they have their own lot at the back and if that is full there is paid parking just next to it. Just don't get your hopes up on this hotel, there is only one reason to stay here, the location.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I am surprised at the other reviews in here, as I did not find it that bad when I stayed here.

Admittedly it was only for one night and in a single room at last minute (as well as the Dickens Festival being on too, which I had not allowed for in my travel plans).

It did provide me with the basics I needed as far as the room was concerned (hot running water, towels and TV), and the only thing that could have been better was that the towels might have been a little softer.

It is clearly an old style hotel though, both in how breakfast is served at very strict time in the morning to how the key has to be left at reception - but there is a certain charm in that which fits with Rochester at the time of the Dickens Festival, as Victoriana takes reign with all of the people about in their period costumes.

I also found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful, especially the interim managers who helped me with directions on how to catch the bus to my next destination when the lady at the Tourist Information Centre had failed to both help and impress me with her lack of ability to use a computer and help with figuring out connections I needed to get me to Canterbury.

Anyway, the lounge bar provided a favourable setting for meeting two of the people from the costume parade - as I trust you can see and read about in my blog as follows: http://mattstale.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/the-spiritual-healers-tale/

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank MattsTale
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Stopped for one night at the Gordon House Hotel on a Saturday night. The room looked lovely when we first got in it, but on closer inspection layers of dust was on every surface, all around the top of the four poster bed and about a centimeter thick on the fan above the bed.
Bathroom was ensuit but again very tired and whilst clean, looked dirty.
Whilst the room (number1) was big the four poster bed mattress was well used and not very supportive at all. In fact it needed to be thrown away and replaced.
We were out all day and came back at midnight along the High Street which comes alive after dark with chavs and townies getting plastered. So our room over looking the High Street became a route home for the townies screaming and shouting until the small hours! Window open of course because it was hot and didnt want to put the dust covered fan on.
Breakfast Sunday morning is until 10am, whilst the coffee was nice the full english was made of the lowest quality items available, not the best.
Theres is a lack of choice to book over the internet in Rochester and so this hotel whilst reasonably proced and located right next to the Cathedral isn't the best.
Don't expect five star accomadation or service, but for the price it did the job.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple