“friendly”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rochester
Immingham, United Kingdom
“friendly”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

i found the hotel clean and tidy and the staff so friendly . for a family run hotel they looked after me and treated me like a person not like the big hotel chains which you are just a number . they really went out of there way to help me .... really enjoyed my stay and a good nights sleep .. m bonner

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

oh my word, please don't stay here .. I arriveud to a typical Rochester high street greeting, namely a woman profusely vomiting directly outside, the hotel had a funny smell to it ( think mould/damp covered up with glade and febreeze)

The room was a disgrace and the mattress appeared to have a ginger stain on it, I wouldn't like to comment what this was. Not wanting to come across confrontational I didn't complain but left by first light the following morning.

This place really has gone downhill, I stayed here once before around 2 years ago and it wasn't nearly as bad as it is now, The WORST and I mean the WORST part of the stay however had to be the man in the room next to me who after arguing profusely with a woman over payment ( one can only imagine) proceeded to make a LOT of noise.

Bottom line here, don't stay at this place unless you literally have no other option.

Room Tip: Sleep in the car park.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Kent_Foody_28

Travellers are raving about these Rochester hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The first room we were shown had not been cleaned - at all. The second had no bath light to reveal the paper signs taped to the dirty wall stating that the water was unsafe to drink. The hard lumpy bed had the 4 poster cover roughly cut out. The floor had been soaked. The walls chipping or rotting. Only 1/2 the lights worked. The shower pan is 2' x 2', really! If that doesn't sound small picture all the controls in there with you and a shower head at 6' high. No WiFi. The owner wouldn't put food or drinks on the room tab. The food was poor, ill prepared and over priced. I didn't receive the discount for guests. The owner even had the nerve to grab the napkin rings off of our table obviously concerned that we might steal them. After explaining to me how to use a napkin in a condescending manner, he actually stood 5 feet away and stared at us through the whole meal. My wife slept, as much as possible due to the drunken street people, clothed over concern for bugs. The building deserves better. You have been warned.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank UKTraveler_10
Maidston
Reviewed 2 September 2013

When booking this hotel I did know this was only a 2 star hotel but proceeded anyway as the location in Rochester was absolutely spot on for the wedding we were attending in the town. Firstly we arrived at the rear of the hotel entering through the rear security controlled door left wide open for anyone to gain access. Walking through corridors that were dark and dirty looking finally arriving at the modern updated reception and bar area .I admit that seeing this I was more encouraged and maybe it was going to be better than first impressions . Eventually getting to our room, again your heart sank we couldn't get into it as the bathroom door behind had swung open and jammed to the back of the main door because it had no locking mechanism. The room had obviously seen a heck of a lot of use and abuse ,thread bare carpets cobwebs hanging form the ceiling and where your complimentary tea /coffee biscuits were stationed well let's just say it wasn't in the cleanest of conditions. As for the bathroom the toilet seat rocked from side to side and the shower would only deliver freezing cold water how ever it was set. 1 point to make the bed linen was clean although the under sheet was obviously a bit small for it and the bed was actually reasonably comfortable. As for breakfast the restaurant was very grubby food remnants on the floor from the previous nights function. My impression of it was as if i was Oliver twist and i would be asking for more food please sir but when i received it after a very long wait I am glad I didn't the food was really rank.
A lonely sausage that looked as if it was anaemic 1 piece of bacon if that's what you can call it the cheapest baked beans (tasteless ) 4 tiny slices of mushrooms and 1 tinned tomato that looked as it had seen better days oh must not forget the toast as my wife nearly wet herself laughing as It made so much noise when chewing it (obviously been reheated a few times ) so in summing up my visit to such a well placed hotel it really could do with a major refurbishment.it is in a wonderful location but because of all the bad points listed I don't believe the should be charging the rates they do.

Room Tip: Go a little further out of Rochester town and stay some where more modern
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Neville W
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Me and my partner stayed for one night at this hotel we had what was meant to be a full english, lets just say i dont even think a homeless person would be impressed.it was disgusting.most of the staff were lovely apart from one, the rooms were abit dirty n thrown together the lamps were stuck back together with glue it was dusty the phone was filthy.i would not recommend this place especially not for FOOD.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Jemma26041985
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We enjoyed staying at the Gordon house hotel on Saturday night. The welcome we received was friendly and all staff were equally helpful and friendly during our stay. The room was well maintained and in a quiet location which was nice compared to some other hotels we have stayed in.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dulverton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Having read some of the past reviews we nearly cancelled but decided that as the hotel is in such an excellent position we would take a chance. Thank goodness we did. It is true that the decor is a little tired but that is more than made up by the charm of the staff. We had extremely comfortable beds and a large sunny room. It seemed that nothing was too much trouble - on the Sunday night we were very late coming in and the restaurant was closing - but in the owner's words - "your comfort is our top priority" - we only expected to get sandwiches but got a full roast - freshly cooked! Some of the reviews have been unkind and scathing - I wonder what people expect for £70 per night, 2 stars. Thank you all for a lovely weekend.

Room Tip: Rochester is a vibrant city so the front of the hotel can be noisy on Friday and Saturday nights.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank April G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
Premier Inn Rochester Hotel
Ship & Trades
#5 of 6 in Chatham
Premier Inn Chatham/Gillingham (Victory Pier) Hotel
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels

Been to Gordon House Hotel? Share your experiences!