All reviewssmall barprivate parkinga stones throwrump steakhotel is in a great locationlisted buildingstar hotelroast dinnerbig roomlovely atmosphereshort staytrain stationvisiting rochestergraduation
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is the worst hotel i've ever stayed at! It cos £75 to stay for a night in a double room however the room itself was very unclean and there wasn't any hot water for a shower in the morning. When we arrived the staff were rude and they even called us early in the morning to tell us to checkout, completely unacceptable! I ordered a cheese sandwich from the kitchen and the bread was stale and disgusting and the crisps were soggy. The bedrooms and interior are shabby and old fashioned. Don't stay here!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Anna L
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Just had a few days at The Gordon Hotel in Rochester which is conveniently on the High St.this hotel is not plush but the room and bedding was very clean,and the proprietors were very friendly and welcoming,they also have a sizable car park,we really enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank weninwales
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We were staying in this hotel for a 50th Birthday we were attending at the hotel. It was booked by someone else on our behalf so I didn't have a clue what the hotel was going to be like. Let me say, I was shocked when I arrived! The staff were rude on check in, was given our room key and left to find our room on our own. Our room was terrible but the room our friends stayed in was even worse! The 4 posted bed they were told was in their room was made from plastic poles you would use to make a D.I.Y bbq cover in a garden! On touching them they collapsed! The bed was held together with masking tape!!! There was mold/ watermarks on the walls and ceiling, cracks in the walls and ceiling, cracks in every bathroom tile on the floor! The toilet seat was FAR too small for the toilet, the shower had no shower curtain which meant the bathroom would have got soaked if the shower worked! The shower was hanging off the wall, when we finally got water to come out it was a trickle of freezing cold water. We had to take a shower in the room next door. When we finally found a member of staff to complain to they said there was nothing they could do as the hotel was fully booked (due to the party) so we could not change rooms. I got locked in the bathroom and it took the hotel staff 30 minutes to get a master key for our room so that someone could get in a break the bathroom door down! The bathroom had no window so I was stuck in that horrible airless room for half an hour with no apology from the hotel staff, after complaining yet again we were then accused of smoking in our room. Neither me or my boyfriend smoke and I was really angry they were trying to turn things around on us instead of offering an apology for what had happened! The breakfast the next day was not worth eating, grey and overcooked sausage and black bacon. On checking out of the hotel we spoke to the manager/ owner who is a lady called May. She was rude and dismissive and all she had to say about it was well you should have booked the hotel yourself! I don't see how this would have made any difference as I expect the room I sleep in would be up to some sort of standard! I might as well have stayed in a shed in the back yard! Such an awful experience, will never ever be going back!!! Please do not stay here!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!!!! Disgusting, dirty rooms, rude dismissive staff!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jenna J
Reviewed 21 January 2014

i found the hotel clean and tidy and the staff so friendly . for a family run hotel they looked after me and treated me like a person not like the big hotel chains which you are just a number . they really went out of there way to help me .... really enjoyed my stay and a good nights sleep .. m bonner

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2014

oh my word, please don't stay here .. I arriveud to a typical Rochester high street greeting, namely a woman profusely vomiting directly outside, the hotel had a funny smell to it ( think mould/damp covered up with glade and febreeze)

The room was a disgrace and the mattress appeared to have a ginger stain on it, I wouldn't like to comment what this was. Not wanting to come across confrontational I didn't complain but left by first light the following morning.

This place really has gone downhill, I stayed here once before around 2 years ago and it wasn't nearly as bad as it is now, The WORST and I mean the WORST part of the stay however had to be the man in the room next to me who after arguing profusely with a woman over payment ( one can only imagine) proceeded to make a LOT of noise.

Bottom line here, don't stay at this place unless you literally have no other option.

Room Tip: Sleep in the car park.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo