“Opposite the Cathedral and friendly staff!”
Review of Gordon House Hotel

Gordon House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rochester
Brussels, Belgium
“Opposite the Cathedral and friendly staff!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We booked the hotel without reading any of the reviews and after reading the reviews I was tempted to cancel our reservation. We only needed to stay there for one nightso we decided to give it a try and I really don't see what all the negative reviews are about. It's a 2 star hotel so people cannot expect too much! The location of the hotel is beyond perfect; it is opposite the cathedral and right on the high street. We had asked for a family room with 3 beds and instead they provided us with a room with 5 beds split over 2 rooms, it was like out very own appartment so that was a great surprise! Staff were extremly friendly and no the breakfast isn't great but it will keep you going until lunch! If you don't fancy the breakfast provided by the hotel there are many cafs and bakery's along the high street!
If I have to return to Rochester, I will defintly be staying here again. We paid 85£ for 3 people for one night which I think is a bargain! NOT dirty but is in need of refurbishment.

Room Tip: Ask for room number 15!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Camilla M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is the worst hotel i've ever stayed at! It cos £75 to stay for a night in a double room however the room itself was very unclean and there wasn't any hot water for a shower in the morning. When we arrived the staff were rude and they even called us early in the morning to tell us to checkout, completely unacceptable! I ordered a cheese sandwich from the kitchen and the bread was stale and disgusting and the crisps were soggy. The bedrooms and interior are shabby and old fashioned. Don't stay here!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Anna L

Travellers are raving about these Rochester hotels

North Wales, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Just had a few days at The Gordon Hotel in Rochester which is conveniently on the High St.this hotel is not plush but the room and bedding was very clean,and the proprietors were very friendly and welcoming,they also have a sizable car park,we really enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank weninwales
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We were staying in this hotel for a 50th Birthday we were attending at the hotel. It was booked by someone else on our behalf so I didn't have a clue what the hotel was going to be like. Let me say, I was shocked when I arrived! The staff were rude on check in, was given our room key and left to find our room on our own. Our room was terrible but the room our friends stayed in was even worse! The 4 posted bed they were told was in their room was made from plastic poles you would use to make a D.I.Y bbq cover in a garden! On touching them they collapsed! The bed was held together with masking tape!!! There was mold/ watermarks on the walls and ceiling, cracks in the walls and ceiling, cracks in every bathroom tile on the floor! The toilet seat was FAR too small for the toilet, the shower had no shower curtain which meant the bathroom would have got soaked if the shower worked! The shower was hanging off the wall, when we finally got water to come out it was a trickle of freezing cold water. We had to take a shower in the room next door. When we finally found a member of staff to complain to they said there was nothing they could do as the hotel was fully booked (due to the party) so we could not change rooms. I got locked in the bathroom and it took the hotel staff 30 minutes to get a master key for our room so that someone could get in a break the bathroom door down! The bathroom had no window so I was stuck in that horrible airless room for half an hour with no apology from the hotel staff, after complaining yet again we were then accused of smoking in our room. Neither me or my boyfriend smoke and I was really angry they were trying to turn things around on us instead of offering an apology for what had happened! The breakfast the next day was not worth eating, grey and overcooked sausage and black bacon. On checking out of the hotel we spoke to the manager/ owner who is a lady called May. She was rude and dismissive and all she had to say about it was well you should have booked the hotel yourself! I don't see how this would have made any difference as I expect the room I sleep in would be up to some sort of standard! I might as well have stayed in a shed in the back yard! Such an awful experience, will never ever be going back!!! Please do not stay here!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!!!! Disgusting, dirty rooms, rude dismissive staff!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jenna J
Immingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

i found the hotel clean and tidy and the staff so friendly . for a family run hotel they looked after me and treated me like a person not like the big hotel chains which you are just a number . they really went out of there way to help me .... really enjoyed my stay and a good nights sleep .. m bonner

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

oh my word, please don't stay here .. I arriveud to a typical Rochester high street greeting, namely a woman profusely vomiting directly outside, the hotel had a funny smell to it ( think mould/damp covered up with glade and febreeze)

The room was a disgrace and the mattress appeared to have a ginger stain on it, I wouldn't like to comment what this was. Not wanting to come across confrontational I didn't complain but left by first light the following morning.

This place really has gone downhill, I stayed here once before around 2 years ago and it wasn't nearly as bad as it is now, The WORST and I mean the WORST part of the stay however had to be the man in the room next to me who after arguing profusely with a woman over payment ( one can only imagine) proceeded to make a LOT of noise.

Bottom line here, don't stay at this place unless you literally have no other option.

Room Tip: Sleep in the car park.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Kent_Foody_28
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The first room we were shown had not been cleaned - at all. The second had no bath light to reveal the paper signs taped to the dirty wall stating that the water was unsafe to drink. The hard lumpy bed had the 4 poster cover roughly cut out. The floor had been soaked. The walls chipping or rotting. Only 1/2 the lights worked. The shower pan is 2' x 2', really! If that doesn't sound small picture all the controls in there with you and a shower head at 6' high. No WiFi. The owner wouldn't put food or drinks on the room tab. The food was poor, ill prepared and over priced. I didn't receive the discount for guests. The owner even had the nerve to grab the napkin rings off of our table obviously concerned that we might steal them. After explaining to me how to use a napkin in a condescending manner, he actually stood 5 feet away and stared at us through the whole meal. My wife slept, as much as possible due to the drunken street people, clothed over concern for bugs. The building deserves better. You have been warned.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank UKTraveler_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
The King Charles Hotel
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
The Inn on the Lake
The Inn on the Lake
#4 of 5 in Gravesend

Been to Gordon House Hotel? Share your experiences!