The Swan
US$87
US$70
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$167
US$152
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Airport(Birmingham)(Great Value!)
US$90
  • Free Internet
All reviewsthe free continental breakfastcrown carveryexcellent value for moneymeat and vegetablessmelt stronglyplenty of free parkingafter reading some of the reviewsflights of stairsfamily roomadequate roomovernight stayhash brownsstayed here for one nightenglish breakfastenjoyable stayfriessalmon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Dont expect any frills or finesse. This popular Sunday lunchtime eatery offers a couple of traditional roasts with plentiful veg for under £8. Cabbage and greens were tasty but the potatoes were dry and not up to much. I rather liked their rich onions and gravy which was a welcome change.

It clearly has a name for value nosh and there are very few tables when lunchtime is in full flow. . It's also a cheap hotel and they serve pretty substantial breakfasts it appears.

They do different sizes of carvery portions and I went for the smallest. I had one slice of the tasty pork and a couple of super thin slices of dull and overlooked beef. It filled a gap and I was with good friends as this is a convenient meeting place.

I didn't have a sweet. I wasn't tempted but the ice creams looked generous.

Ordinary surroundings, seats and tables that have seen better days and rather a bland atmosphere. It is very much an old fashioned and basic pub but it clearly has a successful niche in the market. It certainly seems a winning formula for not a lot of money and this seems appreciated. A refurb would help. But then they'd probably up the prices :-(

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 December 2012 via mobile

Booked into the Swan for 3 nights mainly for its proximity to the NEC.
Our room was up several flights of narrow stairs - no lift sadly, which made for interesting juggling with bags and shopping.
The room was clean but fairly small and basic. Smelt strongly of stale cigarette smoke despite stating on the door it was strictly non smoking, beds were comfortable, although the castors on mine had minds of their own every time I turned over in bed! Small bathroom with just a shower and cheap curtain. VERY thin walls, I can tell you exactly where our neighbours went each day, what they ate and what they bought from their conversation! And also that the the gentleman snores - - ALL NIGHT!
Breakfast was ok but a fairly limited choice, on the last morning we had to request more hot water, plates and milk as it had not been replenished.
We tried the hot buffet breakfast just once, paid for our ticket and were then told they had run out if eggs, not good for a breakfast which only offers 6 items in the first place!
Staff varied between chatty, disinterested and persistent (I observed one repeatedly asking a gentleman to make sure he went on the website to 'vote' for her)
Room was always tidy when we returned each day with nicely made beds and fresh towels.
Check in and out was fairly straightforward, parking was readily available at the back of the hotel.
Great for location and price, but don't expect anything much and you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I was rather put off by the other reviews for this hotel but pleasantly surprised by our stay, The accomodation was very good and totally clean and offered at a cheap price. The cavery was amazingly good value and the quality was reasonable. The staff were all cheerful and very welcoming and helpful if lacking in the professional distain sometimes found in more 'up-market' establishments. If we go the the NEC again I would certainly be very happy to use this hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 217 in the original part of the hotel which was quite large, an interesting shape and quiet. We were able to chose it after we had said that we had no problem with stairs. This was useful advice from the staff.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Made the mistake of booking in for 2 nights as I was attending a course being hedat the hotel. Should have known better and madethe effort to check on Trip Advisor first or booked into a better quality hotel chain just up the road.
Room 106 is quite noisy as its just by an internal fire door so every time a guest goes through to the rooms further down the corridor the fire door bangs as there doesnt appear to be a mechanism to let it shut quietly.
I was really disappointed with the cleanliness of the accommodation and the very poorquality continental breakfast. Even the croissants were flat as if they'd been stored on top ofeach other for a very long time. No coffee machines - just hot water and capsules of instant coffee - which isfine in the rooms - but a tad lazy for breakfasts. ~An all day carvery isavailable and the place is busy all day long but the food is poor quality. I ate with 6 other people and not one of them was content with the food. However it is very cheap - £4.50 approx for a carvery - and the restaurant was full all the time but the smells and food remidned me of 1970's school dinners so be warned.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Kimberley C
Reviewed 13 November 2012

The carvery and buffet breakfast lacked professionalism.
Many house flies were seen around the ice cream machine dispense nozzle area.
I found the accommodation was excellent for the cost and well serviced.

• Stayed: September 2012