“Beautiful little stop”

Antrim Castle Gardens
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Antrim
More attraction details
Owner description: The Antrim Castle Gardens site is an absolute gem and you will find nothing like these 400 year old gardens anywhere else. A recent £6m restoration project which received generous support from Heritage Lottery Fund has now preserved this historic site for generations to come. The Gardens are a unique living museum, with layer upon layer of design features and planting added over the centuries. Indeed, rarely is so much history preserved on one site. The many exceptional features include the ancient Motte, the Large Parterre, the Yew Tree Pond and the Pleasure Gardens.
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful little stop”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I've been here twice now (this year and last) on a bus tour and it's a lovely little stop. Very well maintained; clean and tidy.

There's a "Garden heritage exhibition" and "Oriel gallery" but I can't personally comment on those as we didn't visit them; we stayed outside.
The cafe is fairly priced and clean and we were served by a friendly woman.
Said cafe, along with a small visitor shop and such, are modern but are inside the lovely "Clotworthy house".
Site maps are available, for free, inside the visitor shop so might be worth nipping in there first for one, although I don't think you could get too lost here anyway :)

Outside the paths are wide; so plenty of room for wheelchairs, buggies, etc. and most places seem accessible to those too.
Quite a few lovely little gardens and flower arrangements.
Benches are also placed alongside paths.
This year, I saw a couple of people fishing but I have no idea what permissions or such are needed for that.
Dogs are allowed as both this year and last, I saw quite a few people with their dogs.
A decent amount of other people were there while we were visiting, but it wasn't overwhelming nor crowded.

All in all, definitely worth a visit.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Garden beautiful - coffee shop terrible”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband & I took our 3 year old & baby for a walk and some lunch yesterday, the gardens are breathtaking & plenty of room on paths for buggy & my 3 year old to run about, however It was when we had lunch in the garden coffee shop that we felt let down. Service was not good, selection of food was awful (no kiddies meal and the rest of menu very limited) the food we got was cold & not nice at all

We will be back but think a picnic will be packed next time, I honestly wouldn't even have coffee in it again

1 Thank LouHill22
AntrimCastleGardens, Manager at Antrim Castle Gardens, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your positive feedback on your recent visit to the Gardens. We are disappointed to hear about your experience in the Coffee Shop and can confirm that the points you raised are being addressed by our franchisee caterer. They have asked that we pass on an apology on their behalf and they hope that you will return again in the future.

Kind Regards

Samuel
Rayleigh, England, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Picturesque and peaceful”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We recently visited here on the way from the airport to Coleraine and it was worth stopping off. The gardens are well maintained and the walkways look like they are new. It was nice on a sunny day to stroll through the park down to Loch Neagh and have a tea and cake in the little café. However, it could do with some more information about the history of the castle and the gardens as I am sure a lot of visitors would have appreciated this. The ruins are small but it would have made the trip better to understand what used to be there.

1 Thank GuyPell
“Wonderful with a wheelchair”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

There was only a few places I couldn't take my chair, and most of the time there was alternative routes. Absolutely breathtaking! I would go again and again if I lived in the area!

Coleraine, United Kingdom
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Lovely gardens, but little information”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Fabulous destination for a day out, walk or recreation. Free entry and car parking. Everywhere we walked was very well looked after. We walked from a car park along to Lough Neigh following the signs; there is a pleasant café by the marina. We also enjoyed the exercise machines as we walked along. The only negative is how little you can find out in advance and in the gardens. The website lacks much information and we would have benefitted from some maps on the site or in hard copy at the gardens. There were interesting things to look at, but very little by way of signage to say what we were looking at!

I am looking forward to another visit.

1 Thank NPI338