“Welcomed Us Like Family”
Review of Rhins of Galloway

Rhins of Galloway
Ranked #1 of 6 Cairnryan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were treated so graciously and made to feel so welcome by the owners that it seemed as if we were staying with family. Everything is decorated so tastefully and the rooms we had seemed more like suites with chandeliers, sofas, and fireplaces. The whole place sparkled it was so clean. The bathrooms were beautiful. The meals were made to order and couldn't have been better. You can walk across the street to the beach for an amazing view of the bay. We just loved it there and appreciate everything the hosts did for us.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 April 2014

My wife and I had two nights at this B&B. The staff were friendly and helpful at all times. We were made to feel welcome from the moment we made the booking. The room was superb and very comfortable. The room was not dominated by the bed as it occupied only about a quarter of the space. The rest of the room contained nice comfortable seating area together with a second area containing fireplace, desk (table) and chairs. The bathroom was spotlessly clean. (no sign of any black mold often found in less clean establishments). It was also of a reasonable size, containing a full size bath, shower, washbasin and toilet. The space was such that it was comfortable to use, unlike some of the bathroom cubicles installed in the likes of Holiday Inns or Premier Inns.
On arrival, we were quite late, but the management were happy to cook us an evening meal which was very tasty. The breakfasts, cooked to order, were superb and presented in both a timely and efficient manner. Great attention to detail, they even provided individually wrapped tooth picks with the other breakfast condiments. I don't know who wrote the "Avoid like the plague" review - I can only disagree on all of the points raised - Yes the building fronts a main road - but our room was double glazed and while the road is busy when a ferry at the nearby port discharges it's vehicles, there is virtually no traffic at other times. We found our room (which faced the road) to be sufficiently soundproofed that our sleep was not disturbed. We will certainly be using this place again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Very friendly informative reception.
Room was fantastic very modern clean and comfortable. Nice comfy seats to watch the TV in front of a lovely fireplace. Bathroom very clean and modern. Missed my Ferry but glad I found this little gem to stay over.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed here for a short break a while ago - the place is fantastic! Great, friendly hosts and a convenient location. I took the Garden Suite, which was brilliant! Huge bathroom, comfy lounge, useful kitchen and lovely bedroom. The bed was super luxurious and comfy. I stayed a couple of nights and felt very at home. Breakfast was very tasty and I enjoyed the view from the dining room. If I were ever in need of accommodation in the area again I wouldn't hesitate to return. In fact, I almost want to find an excuse to visit the area again just so I can stay here!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I booked this hotel for two separte nights. The first was when I was catching an early morning ferry, the second was when I returned from Ireland on a late evening ferry. The welcome on each of the two occasions was unbelievable friendly and efficient. We were given clear directions to a local pub where we wished to eat before sleeping. First, though we were shown to our room which was a lovely touch considering it easily found just a few yards from reception. It made us feel even more welcome. The room was really large, with a good sized bed which we eventually discovered to be exceptionally comfortable and cosy.

Before our trip to the local hostellery we decided to make ourselves very comfortable in the television area in one spcious corner of our room. The two easy chairs arranged around the fireplace were the ideal place to enjoy a glass of Shiraz. This was five star and no one on Trip Advisor will ever convince me otherwise.

After a great nights sleep we awoke in time to catch our ferry. We were too early for breakfast but, as promised, there was a carry away meal in a clever little cooler box outside our room.

On our return journey everything was the same except that we were able to enjoy a relaxed breakfast. Once again we would not expect better in a five star hotel.

Return? Definitely. Recommend? definitely. Good value? most certainly.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobLaight
Reviewed 30 November 2013

A very friendly and efficiently run bed and breakfast. My room was warm and well equipped. Wifi worked very well. The owners go out of their way to help and are genuinely friendly. Standard of decor is good and it is in a very good location for ferries to Ireland or exploring the Galloway delights. Would highly recommend, do not be put off by the seemingly strict descriptions of service on the website - when you stay you realise this is part of the efficient operation and wanting to be very clear about the services and standards they operate to.

I will definitely come back here and would recommend it as a top place to stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The hardest thing about writing this review was thinking of a title as all the words have already been used. There are only so many ways you can say, excellent, fantastic, wonderful etc. It is also a challenge to add anything that hasn’t already been said. As a TA Top Contributor I can confidently say the reviews are right, except for a couple which I wouldn’t even give second thought to when considering a stay at the Rhins of Galloway.

Fabulous, welcoming, comfortable, spotless, beautifully furnished and little touches all contribute to making it special. It is so nice when you find owners who work hard, try to cover every angle and actually want you to really enjoy your stay. As someone interested in nature and history I loved the dining room, stacked full of information and binoculars to see the birds. On our first night we had the breakfast take out, don’t think I have every had such a good packed breakfast and on our return visit we had time to indulge the delicious breakfast in the wonderful dining room.

This was a very last minute trip to Ireland for which we needed an overnight stay near to the ferry. Normally I research in depth to find accommodation as I prefer to stay in good B&Bs rather than take pot luck and risk being disappointed. On this occasion I didn’t have much time so after a very quick look on TA I contacted the Rhins of Galloway on the morning of the night we needed accommodation. They had one room left so I booked it but I was a bit concerned as I hadn’t researched it as much as I would normally do and it was also a little pricier than what we usually pay. I needn’t have been concerned we loved it so much we booked for the night we returned. We felt the very high standard of accommodation and service warranted the tariff. Thank you for making our stay with you so enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cairnryan
North West Castle Hotel
Cairnryan Bed and Breakfast
Harbour Lights Guest House
Harbour Lights Guest House
#2 of 25 in Stranraer

Been to Rhins of Galloway? Share your experiences!