“Excellent find”
Review of Spean Lodge

Spean Lodge
Ranked #1 of 23 Spean Bridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here for 1 night, would love to stay longer, what a find a beautiful old lodge full of character. Glen was an excellent host very welcoming and friendly. The best nights sleep in a long time with extremely comfortable bed. Spotlessly clean and an excellent Tea Tray.
Breakfast was excellent, my husband had the full cooked and said it was amazing, 10/10 to Suzanne!
Hope to return sometime soon.

Room Tip: Going by our room I think all rooms would be of an excellent standard.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We arrived very late due to a problem with our car, but this did not prevent our hosts from helping us to find something to eat in the village, besides a lot of other very helpful comments and hints. Running a guest house ourselves, we know what late guests mean...
The room was extremely comfortable and with a great view to the wonderful garden. There is nothing that hadn't been thought of and the attention to detail is stunning. The house is a beauty in its own right - tastefully complemented with artwork. If the weather had not been that nice, we could have stayed in all day...
Probably the best coffee in Scotland! This might be the result of a lucky "marriage" between Vienna coffee beans from Julius Meinl and a Swiss Jura coffee maker :-)
A pity we had to leave - but we shall be back!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

It was a pleasure to say at Spean Lodge. Comfortable, well located, great shower and breakfast. But the hosts made it particularly special making everyone welcome and giving detailed notes on local walks as well as providing backpack and map.

Looking forward to visiting again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We booked this B&B as it was literally just around the corner from my son's house in Spean Bridge and we were flying up for the weekend to meet my brand new baby granddaughter for the first time so it was an added bonus to find that it was honestly the nicest place we had ever stayed in! I have racked my brains to think of a negative about this place but there just isn't one!.....everything from the beautiful decor, wonderful artwork, comfortable guest lounge, cleanliness, attention to detail, fantastic and imaginative choice of locally sourced breakfast items (real kippers such as I thought would have to remain a childhood memory!, fresh fruit salad with berries, porridge if you wanted it, full Scottish breakfast with haggis!! in fact anything your heart desires!), tasteful toiletries, bottled water, great hairdryer!, lovely soft duvet and towels, a very comfortable bed, lovely leafy outlook from our room...I could go on and on...but the best of all was our host Glen who amazed us by remembering not only our names and the purpose of our visit but the names of my son and his family and showed such a kindly interest in us all that it made us feel very special indeed.
Being around a new baby can be an exhausting (though wonderful) experience, so it was lovely to come back to the tranquil and relaxing atmosphere of Spean Lodge. Glen and Suzanne you deserve a medal!

Room Tip: The twin room was delightful with a very leafy outlook and plenty of space.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

A wonderful charming country house B&B which was beautiful throughout. Fantastic array of choices for breakfast - delicious & spoilt for choice!
Nothing was too much trouble, to the point where Glen not only recommended some lovely local restaurants for dinner, but booked them and even gave us a lift to one of them.
Thank you so much to Glen & Suzanne for your kind hospitality - a very pleasant stay and we will return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Okay,.... due to numerous disappointments in the past, I'd just about given up on booking Bed and Breakfast - based trips. Come on, everybody,..... I'm quite sure that many of us have booked a "Ye Olde Coaching Inn" sort of place, with that ubiquitous "Four Poster Suite" , only to find ourselves trying to get to sleep in a pretentious, over-priced hovel with a rickety 21st century flat- packed bed frame and hosts who care more for their star - rating than they do for the comfort of their guests....yes ?

Well, I'm delighted to report that Spean Lodge is NOT one of those places.
The owners, Glenn and Suzanne, clearly love what they do............and, boy, DOES IT SHOW !

The place is immaculate, steeped in history (it has firm connections with Chile, would you believe?) and is nicely situated for exploring the West Highlands and Islands (Skye is approximately 90 minutes leisurely drive away) . Glenn and Suzanne are highly respected in the community ("part of the landscape", as one Local informed me), and they have extensive knowledge of the area. They offer VERY comfortable accommodation, splendid breakfasts (DO try the local kippers... even if you don't particularly enjoy partaking of smoked fish with a hangover) but, above all, they exhibit genuine kindness........... a quality that, in my experience, is lacking in many hoteliers / proprietors today.

My wife and I celebrated my 54th birthday over a "wee" dram (actually, SEVERAL) with, and provided, gratis, by, Glenn in the Guest's Lounge of Spean Lodge and, I have to say, it was a special moment. Please note my previous comment regarding kippers and hangovers !

My Sister-In- Law, who is Colombian by birth, and now resides in Italy, had joined us on our trip. I was determined ( being a typical "Brit" ) to prove that Scotland's scenery and hospitality would equal, if not surpass, that of Italy's Lakes Garda and Como. I succeeded. She fell in love with the Highlands and enjoyed her stay at Spean lodge so much.... she did not want to leave. No, I'm not kidding !
Glenn and Suzanne treated her with exceptional kindness and respect and, how can I put this ???.............. they made MY life a LOT easier.

So, how good is this place ?
Everything you need to know is accurately outlined in previous reviews with similar ratings. This review is intended to give you a briefing as to what to expect from an "emotive" point of view.
Put it this way:...... I've used TripAdvisor to plan trips for many years but, being the selfish guy I am, I could never actually be bothered to place a review on the website. I've been lucky enough to have experienced some fabulous stays .....from the Four Seasons, Montreal to the incredibly quirky Langham Place in Hong Kong. I've also experienced some truly dreadful stays in some beautiful places that have forced me to the brink of taking legal action, BUT I've never posted a review regarding the properties concerned. This, then, is my first review.

How good is this place?

It does everything it says on the tin................ and a heck of a lot more.

GO !

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Aquanaut999
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This country house B&B is a credit to Lochaber and Scotland. My son and I stayed in the family room which was a great size, with spotless ensuite and tasteful furniture. The house is gourgeous, with a lovely atmosphere, interesting art and appropriate furnishings (many original).
Breakfast was locally sourced- typical of the attention to detail and commitment to high standards of customer experience. A great welcome from Glen. Unreservedly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Banavie
Smiddy House
Smiddy House
#4 of 23 in Spean Bridge

Been to Spean Lodge? Share your experiences!