“I liked it here”

Ranked #3 of 23 Spean Bridge B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“I liked it here”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We had one night here on the way to Skye. Our room was on the spotlessly clean with a comfortable bed and a very nice bathroom. I loved the lounge, I felt like I could sit and read without feeling at all conspicuous. Fuss-free wifi was also a huge plus. We were given afternoon tea on arrival and the scones, fruit cake and shortbread were all seriously good.

Dinner in the restaurant was mostly excellent. The vegetarian menu had a selection good enough even to tempt a meat eater like me! Sadly the sauce with the tagliatelle was far too runny and the crumble for dessert was slightly disappointing, but the venison was beautifully cooked and the cheese selection was excellent.

Breakfast in the morning was also very tasty and the eggs from the chickens in the garden were a highlight. The views through the pines from the restaurant windows are spectacular.

The Old Pines is a good place to stay. I liked it and would definitely come again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Guisborough, North Yorkshire
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have been here before and enjoy coming back. We find the hotel so peaceful and relaxing and the owners so accommodating, it is like home from home, but better! The location and views over Ben Nevis are breathtaking and the weather doesn't seem to matter as the lounge is warm, inviting and comfortable. All the rooms are very clean with up to the minute facilities and very well appointed en-suite bathrooms. A pleasure to sleep in and stay in.
The food in the restaurant is all prepared on the premises from local produce and is to a very high standard and very reasonably priced. We particularly enjoyed the vanilla cheesecake for desert and the Cullen skink was delicious as a starter. Duck breast and vegs for mains was succulent and tender.
Just recalling our visit makes me want to go straight back.

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Horsham
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my wife and three daughters while we were doing the Great Glen Way walk. This place was faultless. Lovely comfortable, clean rooms. Outstandingly good food and warm, friendly service. Highly recommend. It's a couple of miles from the Great Glen Way but they are happy to give you a lift.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

We booked old pines because it was listed as dog friendly, on the drive there from the midlands we passes hadrians wall and lots of other beautiful places, just before we arrived we stopped at the commando cemorial which was beautiful 2 mins away from old pines. When we arrived I was over the moon with the cleanliness, soft carpets and light music playing in the background. Our room was immaculate with coffee and biscuits waiting for us. We ate in the restaurant both nights of our stay and the food was fab although a little pricy but well worth it! Breakfast was freshly cooked with so much available. Service was always with a smile and a chat. There was a style right opposite the hotel which lead to a dog walk with dramatic views of Ben Nevis. Location was great for access to all the lochs and we loved every minute of our stay, would definitely go again or treat my parents to a break there.

• Stayed August 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I booked Old Pines as my wedding venue, all of my guests (except 1) stayed here on the wedding night and some also booked the night previous.
It was perfect, I wanted my wedding to be personalised and the staff at Old Pines let me plan everything how I wanted it and worked around my plans (I even got to design the wedding tables). Imogen was fantastic throughout the planning process and responded to every request within 24 hours. On the wedding day she even offered to move things around should it rain- which thankfully it didnt.
The meal was delicious and all guests special requirements were catered for with excellent professionalism. The staff serving were attentive throughout the whole night but also left us to get on and have fun.
The rooms were stunning, spacious, exceptionally clean and had amazing views!!!
I cannot thank Old Pines enough they made my wedding MY wedding and it was perfect! Every request was met and I had the best time!
My only negative is that sometimes I felt like Imogen was professional rather than friendly and professional, this did make me feel like a customer rather than a guest.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Deborah M
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We only stopped for one night on our way to Skye but wished we could have stayed longer! The homemade cakes on arrival along with a pot of tea were fantastic, I had melt in the mouth shortbread and hubby had the fruit cake. The room was lovely and clean and some more lovely homemade biscuits were waiting for us :) Spacious bathroom with huge shower and oh joy of joys proper sized towels! The attention to detail is fabulous as are the views and we went for a scenic stroll before our evening meal and had a fantastic view of Ben Nevis. We were shown to the comfy louge before our eveing meal where we were served with olives and home made veg crisps which were very moreish! Loved seeing the goats and chickens roaming about the goats in particular were very amusing when we had our eveing meal. Our evening meal was delicious as was breakfast. We didn't stay with our dog this time but found out that they are welcome, nothing to fault and we will be recommending.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Jersey
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Great service firstly, which is important when travelling with kids. We had rooms connected by the bathroom (actually a wet room, which pleased my tall husband). The rooms were warm, clean and comfortable.
Outside there were chickens and goats for the kids to see, together with a rope swing and wonderful views of Ben Nevis. This meant we could have a drink whilst the kids enjoyed outside.
Afternoon tea was great, though you might have to rush to ensure you get scones!
The staff and owners were knowledgeable and friendly and the food was extremely good. I really enjoyed the home made jam!
Just go!

#1 of 1 in Roybridge
Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club
Ben Nevis Hotel & Leisure Club
#13 of 21 in Fort William

Been to Old Pines Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!