“Hateful hosts” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 23 Spean Bridge B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Hateful hosts”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

The high point of our stay is when we arrived and could not locate the owners. Being in no rush, my wife and I (we are on our honeymoon) went and found a nice place for dinner and came back. Then everything went downhill because we met the owners. Gill was upset with us for not ringing the buzzer to let them know we had arrived so the first thing she did was show us where it was. It was nowhere near reception. Instead, it was hiding behind a door in the dining area.
The next morning I wasn't feeling well, and when my wife asked if she could bring me some of my breakfast to me the owners loudly called her a liar in front of the entire dining room and said she could not bring me anything. Also, they have a sheet where you mark what you want for breakfast and I mistakenly checked the box for "porridge" because I thought I was checking a box for how many of us would be having breakfast, and because of my error they would not let my wife have the rest of her food until she finished the porridge. If anyone else makes this mistake, do not finish the porridge because the food is no good, also, during breakfast, a sweet little girl was playing and having fun and the owners loudly compared her to a dog.

Also, as we were leaving, they made their final mark by coming out and yelling at us for eating toast in the room. Apparently we were supposed to intuit that this hotel room was not for eating in.

These people should not be in the service business, they should not be dealing with other people. They're just mean. If you want to know what they are like, watch the "Amy's Bakery" episode of Kitchen Nightmares in the U.S.. They owners are kind of like that but without the yelling.

Room Tip: All the rooms are loud.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Brandt W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The rooms were great with a fantastic shower which you really need after a day of exploring. Lovely views,quiet with outside patio area to sit out in the evening and enjoy a drink. Gill was so organised and everything was on hand. Only thing that could be changed is the squeeky doors, once one person was up you all got woke up as the doors were very noisey.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be good
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely stay, Jill was very welcoming and the gardens were lovely. A great location, lovely and close to Fort William. Breakfast was yummy and lots of it as well as a great choice. ...........

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tim-Northen
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Wondering what is up with the poor reviews. We got our laundry done, got a good restaurant pick, and we're met and taken to the Great Glen Way. Reading the negative reviews here make me wonder if it is even the same B&B! Gill packs an excellent walker's lunch, too.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OlVirginny
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Having stayed here for one night with four others on a 400 mile cycle ride, I must add our experiences to the growing list.
On arrival we were greeted with "Can I help you" quickly followed by orders t omove our van as the lady who greeted us(Gill as it turned out) was expecting a "fleet of cars" to turn up later.
When we eventually gained access and satisfied the parking restricion order, we were instructed where we could leave our bags as two of us were given a whistle stop tour of the premises and read the ten comandments. Bieing rather tired after cycling 65 miles, I was not in the mood for being spoken t olike a kid and told to take my cycling shoes off(whcih were immaculate) and leave them by the door. I chucked them in the van then brought them in under cover of darkness while the searchlight was trained on another area!
Once in, we found the rooms comfortable and clean.
The breakfast list was another experience. Only two choices of times, either 8 or 8.30. We dared to wonder at the consequences if we had turned up a minute early, or late. Or table had already been allocated by number and we were thereafter to be known as guests 1, 2 and 3 of room 4!
The option of having scrambled egg with toast did not exist, it had to be with smoked salmon and "toast will be brought to your table" (best read in a German accent) and I presume had to be eaten whether you wanted it or not.
At breakfast itself we were served fairly quickly but there seemend to be a few other traumatised guests as the atmosphere was rather subdued, or did I imagine it.
Would I stay again? No Would I recommend it? Only if you were ex army and used to having orders barked at you or wanted to relive your youth when your mother threatened you with "wait till your dad gets home"
I do have some sympathy with Ian, he looked as if he suffered at Gill's tongue as well and all in all it made for an interesting but never to be repeated stop over.

2 Thank Martinleslie

Travellers are raving about these Spean Bridge hotels

Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My friend and I were 'sentenced' to one night stay at Coire Glas but thankfully, as our crimes were only minor, we were released after just one night.

On a serious note, the owners (Ian and Gill I think?) should probably get out of the hospitality business as they are just not cut out for dealing with the public. On arrival, you get treated to their list of house rules (Think Bill Bryson arriving in Dover - notes from a small island).
The days of Landlords bossing about their guests are LONG gone with the advent of the internet and Trip Advisor so Ian and Gill need to take a look at their approach and change and actually BE NICE or at the least civil to customers.

The rooms were clean and the breakfast was standard fry up but selling yourself on these is wrong as rooms are supposed to be clean and if you mess up a fried breakfast in the UK you really need to think about an alternative career.

The incidents of the trip are not important, suffice to say we had a bit of an argument with Ian having to calm his wife Gill down after I made it clear that being spoken to like a naughty school boy is just not on and entirely unacceptable, so I didn't accept it and that's where the problems start.

I can say without fear of inaccuracy that this is the 2nd worst B&B I have stayed in after travelling all over the world, It's places like Coire Glas in Spean Bridge that present Travel Lodge/Premier Inn with an open goal people just won't stand terrible service, that is stuck in the 70's. You have to provide a good service with a smile and not treat customers like an inconvenience

and Gill, FYI........I dried ALL my wet clothes in your room in defiance of rule number 2 on your list of 12 stating that NO WET CLOTHES IN ANY ROOM!! It's the small victories I suppose.

Don't stay here, it is stressful and the owners are rude.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else?
6 Thank David B
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I was one of a party of 4 middle aged blokes who'd booked this B&B as part of a Great Glen Way package, and it was where we were to stay at the end of our first day's walking. We phoned the premises early on the first day, and said we weren't sure what time we'd arrive at Gairlochy (the B&B included a collection and drop-off service, as it was four miles from the route itself). We were told just to call when we got to Gairlochy, and did so when we arrived there just before 3pm. This time, we were told that we couldn't be collected until after 3.30, to which we replied that this was fine, we were in no hurry and appreciated the staff were probably busy. In response, the proprietor declared that our lift would set off now, and put the phone down.
Our "lift" turned out to be the co-host of the premises, and when he arrived at our location just after three, his opening gambit was to shout "This isn't three thirty!", he went on to harangue us for several minutes about our arriving too early. We put our side of the issue to him, and also made it clear that we would have been more than happy to wait until after three thirty.
When Mine Host finally said,"Well I'm here now so let's just get in the car", he drove off in a major strop, before the rear seat passengers had got their seat belts on, and with the rear driver's side door still open. When the passenger closest to the insecure door told the driver, at the end of the journey, that the door wasn't properly shut, the reply was, "Well sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't." The remainder of our stay at Coire Glas was comfortable and the following day's breakfast fantastic, however it's all about first impressions. Addressing four adults in a belligerent manner at first meeting, then driving like a boy racer in a strop with paying guests as passengers, indicates that this guy should NOT be the "meet & greet" contact, keep him in the background and your first impression won't be a negative and lasting one.