My wife and i spent two nights in the Lochy suite at Letterfinlay Lodge on the 30/31st of October as a quiet base for our wedding in Glen Etive. Because of the occasion we wanted to find something a little bit special where we could relax before and after the ceremony, and in trying to locate accomodation we were met with either the typical highland b&bs which are perfectly quaint but not what we were after or the uber expensive luxury of a castle. And then we stumbled upon Letterfinlay Lodge while trawling through various locations online and we were so glad we did. Set in a beautiful spot beside the sprawling Loch Lochy just fifteen mins or so north of Ft William, Letterfinlay provides a venue which retains the charms of the country's scenery whilst giving the comfort and class of the modern world.
One of the reasons we love this area of the country is because the scenery offers something beautifully different at any given time of the year and indeed, our short stay here was filled with rain, clouds and a cold wind all of which only contrived to make the scenery around the hotel look all the more dramatic and it was lovely to watch the cloud roll over the hills and loch. Indoors the reception and dining areas are representative of decorative Scottish charm, comfortable and cosy. The dining area is situated to the rear of the building overlooking the loch which just amplifies the serenity as you enjoy a delicious breakfast. Happily there was also vegetarian sausages which i am reliably informed were some of the best my wife Susan has ever tasted. On the subject of food we were only able to have one evening meal which was excellent. I had pork belly and while i can't remember what the veggie option was i do know that both meals didn't last overly long on the plate after the first bite!
As i said, we chose the Lochy suite which is an apartment just a 30 sec walk from reception. As we arrived a little late and it was dark the girl at the desk was kind enough to come around with us so we could find the door, especially good of her as it was pouring down. The suite itself has plenty of space with a bright clean interior, very comfy king size bed, plasma tv, small living room area and a glamorous bathroom with illuminated his and hers mirrors and sinks along with a large deep bath which i can guarantee is big enough for two (snigger)
So what else to say? Well, apart from the beautiful location, great food and very friendly staff there isn't really anything else to say other than if you are looking for a place to stay which is more than the usual quaint tartan clad b&b but not as expensive as the boutique castles around this area then you cannot go wrong with this highland gem.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel rests on the banks of Loch Lochy only 15 minutes from Fort William and boasts breathtaking views over the Great Glen. Watch the world sail by from our panoramic sundeck whilst enjoying the freshest produce and locally landed seafood carefully hand-cooked by our award-winning team of chefs. Retire in the evening to our cozy bedrooms, many of which have magnificent views over the loch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Letterfinlay Hotel Fort William
- Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel Spean Bridge, Scotland