“Fantastic break”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Spean Bridge
Montrose, United Kingdom
“Fantastic break”
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I had an absolutely fantastic time at the Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel at new year. I'd never stayed at this hotel before so had nothing to compare it to but having stayed in numerous hotels I can only say this was one of the friendliest hotels I've ever stayed in. From the friendly manageress to the very competent and helpful waitresses to the great guests, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. They did run out of certain foods and drinks but this did not bother me in the slightest. Yes this might be a show stopper for some people but I just chose something else. These things happen. The inclusive clay pigeon shooting was a fantastic extra and gave people the opportunity to try something they perhaps hadn't before. Rooms are nice and a loch view is a must. Even if you don't get a loch view this is a great hotel with beautiful surroundings. Thanks for a great stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Gillian C
Manager L, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for being such a great guest and all our staff really enjoyed having you stay with us over the New year package ! you are welcome back ant time . Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Greek first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Having read the previous review of the Letterfindlay Hotel's Hogmanay package I feel compelled to write a response in support of the hotel and the staff. Having spoken to other guests I feel that my view is shared with the majority of the other guests who stayed during this time. The staff were fantastic and very professional and the rooms in the hotel were lovely. The location of the hotel and it's views are beautiful; which were only highlighted by the clay pigeon shooting off the decking over Loch Lochy. Although I have discovered that I am rubbish at shooting I would never have known if I wasn't given a free opportunity to try. This activity is normally £85 per person; but it was inclusive in the deal to every guest with a member of staff giving up hours of their day to tutor us. Not only was the activity fun it also brought the guests together in readiness of the Hogmanay party.
The Hogmanay party was fantastic, I had a really good night, the atmosphere was amazing. Yes they ran out of some drinks and a couple of the food choices from the menu at dinner but there was still plenty of choice for an alternative.
Overall I had a really good time and would recommend it to anyone who is looking to go away over the New Year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank lsmck
Manager L, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
It is so nice when the hotel and staff receive such a great honest review from genuine guests who have actually stayed with us ! it was our pleasure to have you on our three day package over the new year period and thank you for appreciating all the hard work that the staff & management deliver over such a busy time . We hope to see you back at Letterfinlay in the summer and in the meantime have a fab 2014 . Kind regards
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We booked a 3 night Hogmanay break here mainly due to how good a previous stay had been with fantastic food, good service and views to die for. Am sorry to say to we only had one out of three on this occasion which was the views! It was a friendly welcome and our room was okay it was warm with a lovely view. Dinner on the first night was spoilt due to my husband's food being cold and the wine not chilled. The manageress apologised, my husband's food was replaced with hot and the wine was taken from the bill, but it did spoil our evening. I asked for the smoked haddock the next morning which was on the menu to be told that they did not have any and when I asked if I could have boiled eggs I was told not really so I settled for scrambled! Things went a little downhill from then, while Hogmanay was good, New Year's Day was a bit of a disaster, one waitress trying to look after everyone at breakfast and bless her she did a good job, lunch was late, and the lounges were very cold.What was served at the evening buffet was very poor considering what we had all paid. The hotel also ran out of rose wine on the first evening, and had no cointreau or diet pepsi when we asked for it. On New Year's Day we did feel as if we had been totally adandoned. I have noticed from previous reviews that the manager takes a childish attitude towards criticism, but I would advise her that people expect certain standards for the money that they pay and if she wishes to run a successful hotel, taking into account your customers views would help point you in the right direction.

Room Tip: Ask for a Loch view
10 Thank Arch124
Manager L, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
We are very sad that you have posted such a petty & untruthfull review regarding your new year stay at Letterfinlay ! All the staff bent over backwards for you both however your endless moaning probably took its toll on us all !! its to hot ! its to cold !! its to noisy !! its to wet !! its to expensive !! and on and on . You also booked a late deal which was extremely cheap so the statement about the deal being overpriced is rather bizarre ! i did notice that you are rather fond of posting reviews however you seem have forgotten to post a review from your previous excellent stay at Letterfinlay !!! Or does it only work one way Arch ?? You also chose not to mix with other guests during your stay and you were the only couple Not to take part in the free clay pigeon shoot on hogmanay that one of the owners had organized. So perhaps the friendly and relaxed atmosphere that Letterfinlay offers is not for you ? All the best for 2014 and keep up with the endless amount of reviews so as not to disappoint your many Trip fans
March, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Ok...my usual opener....please don't criticise other reviews!! The whole point of trip advisor is it's PERSONAL EXPERIENCE...I digress.

We have had the worst year ever so I thought, right lets book Christmas away, never done it before and it was FANTASTIC.
Upon arrival we met the two sweet and friendly Polish girls, bit confused when we arrived but no dramas.
We booked the 24th 25th and 26th December package and were looked after throughout, the food was A1 courtesy of the comical 'Paul' chef who's cooking was second to none....mmmm
Do you know what made this break? I'll tell you, it was LINDSAY the manager, she makes this hotel what it is. Lindsay works from first thing in the morning until last think at night, she is always happy to see you, interested in how you are and very knowledgeable.
The lodge was immaculate and room was perfect for us, we had the dog friendly room and was SO convenient for us, and easy to keep clean.
Room view.....best ever, draw the curtain and stare at snow capped mountains.
Sit around a log fire and chat to the other guests, mulled wine as and when you like, and we like!
The local area is isolated but we took a short drive and ticked Loch Ness off of our bucket list of things to do. Local scenery is second to none, it's Switzerland without the price tag.
Bar prices? Don't forget where you are, middle of nowhere, I have paid the same in central London without a fraction of the ambiance.
Met one of the boss's on Boxing day, Iain, he ran the clay pidgeon shooting afternoon, a very nice guy and would have been nice to interact more! "sorry but despite being a professional I couldn't hit the target for the life of me!" Err indoors did.
Minor criticism...No food available after Christmas diner at 2PM until breakfast boxing day, however Lindsay changed the itinerary the following day and provided a light lunch and later dinner, good girl.

To sum up.....I'm going back for my birthday next year because the scots do new years eve better than everyone else.

LetterFinlay....love it.

Room Tip: Got a dog.... suite 14 is for you,
6 Thank Tom F
Manager L, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you so much for the fabulous review and i will be sure to pass the feedback on to the staff and owners of the Letterfinlay ! keep practicing your shooting skills and perhaps you will master the clay pigeons next time. :)

Kind regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We were to be spending Christmas on our own this year so when an offer for a Christmas break came in through Classic Britain we decided to try it. We had never done this before but, after our experience at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel , we would definitely do it again although it would have a lot to live up to to match our experience there.

We arrived Christmas Eve and left after breakfast on the 27th and had an amazing time made very special and memorable by manageress Lynsey and her wonderful staff. They couldn't have done more for us all and were such a delight to get to know.

The setting is wonderful and whatever the weather is a definite photo shoot. All the meals were exceptional and served to suit us --a big thank you must also go to Paul ( in the kitchen ) who definitely excelled , not only at cooking but in the Christmas Day quiz with his Team Poland !!

Thank you too to Iain ( one of the owners ) who gave us all the chance to try out clay pigeon shooting --great fun and definitely worth trying.

We will definitely go back --hopefully in May to osprey watch but I think whenever you visited you would have a relaxing, memorable and enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We were in Room 8 and overlooked the loch --would definitely hope to get this or Room 7 when we retu...
6 Thank Margaret383
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your festive break at Letterfinlay lodge and we look forward to having you back next year for some Osprey spotting. kind regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My wife and i spent two nights in the Lochy suite at Letterfinlay Lodge on the 30/31st of October as a quiet base for our wedding in Glen Etive. Because of the occasion we wanted to find something a little bit special where we could relax before and after the ceremony, and in trying to locate accomodation we were met with either the typical highland b&bs which are perfectly quaint but not what we were after or the uber expensive luxury of a castle. And then we stumbled upon Letterfinlay Lodge while trawling through various locations online and we were so glad we did. Set in a beautiful spot beside the sprawling Loch Lochy just fifteen mins or so north of Ft William, Letterfinlay provides a venue which retains the charms of the country's scenery whilst giving the comfort and class of the modern world.
One of the reasons we love this area of the country is because the scenery offers something beautifully different at any given time of the year and indeed, our short stay here was filled with rain, clouds and a cold wind all of which only contrived to make the scenery around the hotel look all the more dramatic and it was lovely to watch the cloud roll over the hills and loch. Indoors the reception and dining areas are representative of decorative Scottish charm, comfortable and cosy. The dining area is situated to the rear of the building overlooking the loch which just amplifies the serenity as you enjoy a delicious breakfast. Happily there was also vegetarian sausages which i am reliably informed were some of the best my wife Susan has ever tasted. On the subject of food we were only able to have one evening meal which was excellent. I had pork belly and while i can't remember what the veggie option was i do know that both meals didn't last overly long on the plate after the first bite!
As i said, we chose the Lochy suite which is an apartment just a 30 sec walk from reception. As we arrived a little late and it was dark the girl at the desk was kind enough to come around with us so we could find the door, especially good of her as it was pouring down. The suite itself has plenty of space with a bright clean interior, very comfy king size bed, plasma tv, small living room area and a glamorous bathroom with illuminated his and hers mirrors and sinks along with a large deep bath which i can guarantee is big enough for two (snigger)
So what else to say? Well, apart from the beautiful location, great food and very friendly staff there isn't really anything else to say other than if you are looking for a place to stay which is more than the usual quaint tartan clad b&b but not as expensive as the boutique castles around this area then you cannot go wrong with this highland gem.

Room Tip: The suites overlooking the loch provide personal balconies.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank john e
Thank you for the very nice review and i will make sure that all the staff know how happy you were with the Hotel and the staff .Kind regards
Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely stay over on DBB package!!this is a cracking little hotel with a beautiful location and well worth a visit!!we stayed in room 4 Kate mclaren which is a lovely room,comfy bed!fiancee and me enjoyed the warm hospitality of the staff!!shame our stay was ruined by some drunk idiot fighting at 2:30 am in the next room!!but that's not the hotels fault and I have recommended this cracking hotel to all at work!looking forward to visiting again-one small thing-the gap between door /floor-the light came through from the hall but other than this keep up the good work!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jazzy1884
Manager L, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
We are so glad that you such a nice time at the Letterfinlay and we apologies for the guests behavior in the room next door ! please let us know when you plan to re visit the hotel and we will make sure you get a complementary upgrade. kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spean Bridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,155 reviews
Glenspean Lodge Hotel
Glenspean Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Roybridge

Been to Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!