This is a lovely hotel full of period features in a stunning location literally on the banks of Loch Lochy. I was staying on a Wowcher deal which was very good value, even though I ended up staying alone. The staff were very friendly although I think myself and my friend caught them at a bad time when we arrived (there had been a wedding the day before and I think they were all slightly jaded although the manager (owner?) apologised for this and said the guests had only left or gone to bed at midnight – that did not sound late for me, especially for a wedding!) as they seemed slightly disorganised. However, I had arrived at about 1.30 on the day of arrival and was able to check in which was good. My room (I think it was a superior one which I assume refers mostly to the view) was brilliantly located with the loch so close it filled the view from the window. It was very clean with a newly fitted shower room. However neither the room nor the bed were very big, but fine for 1 person. There was quite a lot of noise from surrounding rooms, doors banging etc early in the morning which woke me earlier than I would have liked! There is a lovely residents’ lounge with very comfortable leather sofas and chairs and a pool table. I ate here on the second night and the food was delicious and well-priced. Breakfasts were also very nice tho not huge quantities (eg one piece of quite fatty bacon on the full Scottish breakfast). One thing which confused me slightly; there was a notice up in reception warning that ‘under no circumstances should room keys be taken outwith the hotel’, yet every time I handed my key in at reception the member of staff seemed slightly surprised and unsure what to do with it. I also noticed that I had to ring for attention every time I went to reception, not a huge problem but I felt like I was disturbing their other work. Also, the doors are locked at 11 so you need a late key if you are going to be out later (I was not planning to be but was almost scuppered by a delayed train on my first night). All in all I really liked this hotel and will definitely remember it for my future visits to the Western Highlands.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel rests on the banks of Loch Lochy only 15 minutes from Fort William and boasts breathtaking views over the Great Glen. Watch the world sail by from our panoramic sundeck whilst enjoying the freshest produce and locally landed seafood carefully hand-cooked by our award-winning team of chefs. Retire in the evening to our cozy bedrooms, many of which have magnificent views over the loch. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Letterfinlay Hotel Fort William
- Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel Spean Bridge, Scotland