“Very good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Spean Bridge
London, United Kingdom
“Very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is a lovely hotel full of period features in a stunning location literally on the banks of Loch Lochy. I was staying on a Wowcher deal which was very good value, even though I ended up staying alone. The staff were very friendly although I think myself and my friend caught them at a bad time when we arrived (there had been a wedding the day before and I think they were all slightly jaded although the manager (owner?) apologised for this and said the guests had only left or gone to bed at midnight – that did not sound late for me, especially for a wedding!) as they seemed slightly disorganised. However, I had arrived at about 1.30 on the day of arrival and was able to check in which was good. My room (I think it was a superior one which I assume refers mostly to the view) was brilliantly located with the loch so close it filled the view from the window. It was very clean with a newly fitted shower room. However neither the room nor the bed were very big, but fine for 1 person. There was quite a lot of noise from surrounding rooms, doors banging etc early in the morning which woke me earlier than I would have liked! There is a lovely residents’ lounge with very comfortable leather sofas and chairs and a pool table. I ate here on the second night and the food was delicious and well-priced. Breakfasts were also very nice tho not huge quantities (eg one piece of quite fatty bacon on the full Scottish breakfast). One thing which confused me slightly; there was a notice up in reception warning that ‘under no circumstances should room keys be taken outwith the hotel’, yet every time I handed my key in at reception the member of staff seemed slightly surprised and unsure what to do with it. I also noticed that I had to ring for attention every time I went to reception, not a huge problem but I felt like I was disturbing their other work. Also, the doors are locked at 11 so you need a late key if you are going to be out later (I was not planning to be but was almost scuppered by a delayed train on my first night). All in all I really liked this hotel and will definitely remember it for my future visits to the Western Highlands.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank beeza1
Manager L, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for the kind review of Letterfinlay and we are glad you enjoyed the beautiful views and location so much ! just a couple of small details that I would like to clarify ! The wedding the night before did not finish until 3:30am and not midnight !!! so your early check in did probably catch out housekeeping ! but we did manage to get your room ready ! and all of our staff know exactly what to do with room keys its part of there daily routine :) we look forward to your return visit . kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Letterfinlay Lodge was our base for two nights while we explored the Scottish highlands. The hotel is situated within easy travelling distance to the local attractions such as Loch Ness, Eilean Donan castle and Ben Nevis. Our family room offered a magnificent view of Loch Lochie and the mountains, it was magical waking up and immediately soaking in the amazing view. It snowed lightly while we were there which made it even more magical. Our room was clean and definitely large enough for a family of three. The only complaint we had was that there was a noisy wedding on the first night we stayed which made it difficult for us to sleep as our room backed onto the main lodge. The food in the restaurant is great, we had a nice breakfast and dinner each day. Overall we enjoyed our stay at Letterfinlay.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of lake - you are in the Scottish highlands! The views are magical, you will...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RaydarVictoria
Manager L, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Sorry about the wedding noise that you experienced during your stay however it does not normally happen as wedding partys usually take over all the rooms as part of the occasion !
We are glad that this did not spoil your stay and thank you for the very kind comments
please come back again at any time. Kind regards
Airdrie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here one night with a itison voucher which i can highly recommend, We had a excellent time, apart from the weather but what can you do, the location is excellent too , what views, you have too see for yourself real life is better promise.

We were welcomed to the Hotel by Joan and we got a cream tea , Highly recommend Joan as a host thanks,

We then played pool, and had a game off darts in the lounge. Dinner was a sirloin burger which i can say it was beautiful you have too taste to see, in addition to this our breakfast was good too. one note to remember is if you don't like cheese or mushrooms tell them to hold them off the burger but is delicious, in case you are allergic thanks.

What more can I say, keep up the good work Joan , The room was nice, double Bed , and nice and clean too, for all these other reviews i am not sure but as for me look at my Google plus at ianmccully thanks, if you want any proof that this is a honest review thanks.

Room Tip: The room we were in was next to the road but can't say that made any difference i slept like a l...
2 Thank Ian M
its so nice to get such positive feedback from genuine reviewers ! Joan will be delighted to see such nice comments about her service and we would love to welcome you back at anytime
Kind regards
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I was giving an itison voucher as a birthday present from my friends. What can I say I had a brilliant time apart from the Scottish weather! We were welcomed by Joan who showed us to our room and arranged for our cream tea to be served in the lounge with the coal fire. Dinner and breakfast were beautiful. Room was clean and warm too. I think we will be back. Hopefully in the better weather. Keep up the good work.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jacqueline B
Manager L, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for the very positive review and I know Joan will be delighted that you mentioned her in your kind comments . We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future . kind regards
Inverness
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

My son has just held his wedding at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel and it was awesome the location is unrivalled. I personally found the staff to be very hard working efficient and friendly especially Rodie!! We had the lochy suit and found no faults at all. It was a bit of a challenge for us and the staff to transform the room three times in the day but it worked wonderfully well thanks to all helping. I do believe it to be one of the best values for money venues in the Highlands future brides should go here and check it out.
All in all a brilliant week-end thank you to all.

Room Tip: The bridal suit was really excellent and I loved room 19
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank magneil31
Manager L, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for the very nice review about the beautiful weddings we host at Letterfinlay Lodge . i will be sure to pass on the great feedback to Roddy and all our hard working team . kind regards
Port Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Stayed here from Friday 7th March till Sunday 9th March on a deal through Wowcher. Wouldn't have know about this place otherwise but what a find.

Staff were excellent. Very friendly and always making sure you were looked after.

Food was great too. Really enjoyed breakfast and dinner both nights. Must mention the pint of San Miguel I had. It was fantastic. Was really surprised at how good it was.

We stayed in the Lochy Suite which was furbished excellently and had an absolutely breathtaking view out of the bedroom window. Weather wasn't good enough for us to enjoy the use of the private balcony but I'm sure we will make use of that on our next visit.

Close enough to travel to Fort William and the Nevis Range to the south and Loch Ness and Inverness to the north, which we done on both the Saturday and Sunday en-route home.

Would really recommend this place. Had a great time there and will defo be booking again!

5 Thank LavvyHeid
It was great to read such a positive review and please come back and visit us again . kind regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

We visited through an itison deal and found it to be great value for money. We arrived a little late in the afternoon and enquired after some sandwiches (as well as our cream tea!). I've stayed at other places where appears to be a problem but not here. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating (especially Katya (apologies if wrong spelling!)) and the sandwiches and cream tea were delicious. The food overall was excellent but the best thing of all is the setting. We were lucky enough to be there when there was still some snow on the mountain tops - absolutely stunning. Would definitely consider returning during the summer months.

4 Thank Alandangie
Manager L, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you so much for the very kind review and we would definitely recommend for another stay during the Summer months. The stunning surroundings take on a whole new ambience during this time.
Kind regards
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,123 reviews
Glencoe House
Glencoe House
#1 of 1 in Glencoe Village

Been to Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!