“very comfy and welcoming”

Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Spean Bridge
Lancashire
“very comfy and welcoming”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I can recommend this hotel, it's only a 3* but you wouldn't think so. The breakfasts were superb (poached eggs to die for) and a wide choice to suit all tastes. Our bedroom was very comfy, king size bed a luxury. The View of the Loch is stunning. Letterfinlay hotel is exceptionally clean, which is more than can be said for a lot of hotels in Europe. The staff are friendly and can't do enough for you. We enjoyed every bit of our 4 night stay and managed to see a lot within the area too.

5 Thank LancashireKarenG
Manager L, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for the very positive review and your feedback will be passed on to all our hard working team. kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Greek first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

L=Lovely E=Environment T=Tranquil T=Totally spotless E=Exceptional food R=Roaring fire F=Fun I=Isolation N=Nothing a problem L=Loch views A=Amazing staff Y=You should visit!

LETTERFINLAY!

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights as part of an excellent deal we got with ITISON. We were upgraded by the wonderful manager as there had been an error with the original booking. This meant that we got to stay in the lovely Golden Eagle suite which looked straight out onto the Loch which was stunning even though we arrived to heavy snowfall. Lovely spacious bedroom with a comfortable bed, sofa, tea/coffee making facilities, hairdryer, toasting hot water and a lovely deep bath with over bath shower. The suite and hotel were spotlessly clean. Fantastic staff who worked very long and hard to provide for their guests and with a smile too. Nothing was a bother. Food was freshly cooked, tasty, piping hot and beautifully presented. Lovely full Scottish breakfast too served again by the great staff who were cracking jokes and having good banter with the guests. We also had a lovely cream tea as part of the deal - warm scones with cream and jam and a pot of piping hot tea (YUM). Lovely sitting areas within the hotel and again all immaculate. Lovely scenery including lots of wildlife - deer, owls, pheasants, squirrels and plenty of walks. We went to Mallaig too as we travel a lot around the Highlands and love the countryside and history of our country. An excellent base and gateway to the Highlands. This hotel is a wee Highland gem and we will most definitely return. Totally chilled experience. The only down side was that we had to leave and return to work/reality. Well done to all the staff at Letterfinlay..you're amazing! Hope to see you again soon.
Maureen & Craig Clements xx

Room Tip: Suites within the Lodge were amazing - would recommend the additional supplement in order to secure...
5 Thank MAUREEN C
What a fabulous review ! its so nice to receive such appreciation from lovely genuine guests ! please come back at any time ! Kind regards
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Spent last weekend here for my birthday, on an Itison voucher. Arrived just after 3 to a warm and friendly welcome. Room was decorated beautifully and there was a wardrobe, bedside tables and a large chest of drawers, which is excellent if you are staying longer than a couple if nights. We unpacked then went down to bar.

We were asked if room was ok (never been asked that in any large hotels we have stayed in), ordered a drink and took a seat in lounge to await out afternoon tea. Tea, scone, butter, jam and cream arrived with an apology of a slightly flat scone. If that was a flat one I would have loved to have seen what they normally come out like! Tasted lovely.

Later we headed down to dinner and were amazed at the vast choice of wines and the menu had plenty choices too. Starters were beautifully presented and tasted lovely (mine was a bit too much for me though so other half finished it!). Steak for main was cooked to perfection, charred on outside and rare in middle, still drooling at the thought. It had been a long time since in tasted such a good steak (again I couldn't finish it and I have a big appetite! Other half obliged again.) Liqueur coffees were perfect too. Breakfast had many choices, the full Scottish was ordered and it was beautifully presented and really nice and tasty. Dinner that evening didn't disappoint either and breakfast the next day for me was haddock and poached egg which was really good.

The hotel is set in perfect surroundings and the staff are so friendly and helpful, nothing is too much bother. On the morning we left, we put bags is car and I felt like I was being watched, I looked up and there was a magnificent stag standing across the road staring at us, perfect end to a perfect weekend!

If we don't get back to stay again soon it's definitely been added to our lunch stops when we are out for drives.

Only disappointment of the weekend? Having to leave and come back to reality!

Thanks to all the staff for making my birthday weekend so special!

6 Thank Pauline M
Thank you for the very kind review and it was our pleasure to have you stay with us . kind regards
Scotland
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Loved this hotel, was an 'Itison' offer with 2 nights B&B with cream tea on arrival. Hotel was lovely, friendly staff, great rooms, beautifully refurbished. The cream tea was a treat, breakfasts, nothing to complain about. Meals & drinks are what we would say were a little expensive (£3.95 for a pepsi, no diet) but nice to sit in front of coal fire with your kindle. We were in room 7 where we had amazing views, its a corner room so had plenty natural light. Not much room around the lodge but short drive to Fort william & other places, good central location to visit other areas. We would return.

Room Tip: Room 7 is lovely, nice view of the loch but doorway is next to steep stairs so best be careful.
6 Thank Wendy A
Manager L, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for your nice review of Letterfinlay lodge Hotel however we are very sad to read that you only scored us a 3 star for value considering the amazingly cheap voucher that you purchased . I will certainly look into the price charged for your pint of Pepsi as this should have only been £2.95 ! we are very sorry if you have been overcharged and if you return to the hotel we will gladly provide you with a complementary Drink for your troubles . kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is a lovely hotel full of period features in a stunning location literally on the banks of Loch Lochy. I was staying on a Wowcher deal which was very good value, even though I ended up staying alone. The staff were very friendly although I think myself and my friend caught them at a bad time when we arrived (there had been a wedding the day before and I think they were all slightly jaded although the manager (owner?) apologised for this and said the guests had only left or gone to bed at midnight – that did not sound late for me, especially for a wedding!) as they seemed slightly disorganised. However, I had arrived at about 1.30 on the day of arrival and was able to check in which was good. My room (I think it was a superior one which I assume refers mostly to the view) was brilliantly located with the loch so close it filled the view from the window. It was very clean with a newly fitted shower room. However neither the room nor the bed were very big, but fine for 1 person. There was quite a lot of noise from surrounding rooms, doors banging etc early in the morning which woke me earlier than I would have liked! There is a lovely residents’ lounge with very comfortable leather sofas and chairs and a pool table. I ate here on the second night and the food was delicious and well-priced. Breakfasts were also very nice tho not huge quantities (eg one piece of quite fatty bacon on the full Scottish breakfast). One thing which confused me slightly; there was a notice up in reception warning that ‘under no circumstances should room keys be taken outwith the hotel’, yet every time I handed my key in at reception the member of staff seemed slightly surprised and unsure what to do with it. I also noticed that I had to ring for attention every time I went to reception, not a huge problem but I felt like I was disturbing their other work. Also, the doors are locked at 11 so you need a late key if you are going to be out later (I was not planning to be but was almost scuppered by a delayed train on my first night). All in all I really liked this hotel and will definitely remember it for my future visits to the Western Highlands.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank beeza1
Thank you for the kind review of Letterfinlay and we are glad you enjoyed the beautiful views and location so much ! just a couple of small details that I would like to clarify ! The wedding the night before did not finish until 3:30am and not midnight !!! so your early check in did probably catch out housekeeping ! but we did manage to get your room ready ! and all of our staff know exactly what to do with room keys its part of there daily routine :) we look forward to your return visit . kind regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Letterfinlay Lodge was our base for two nights while we explored the Scottish highlands. The hotel is situated within easy travelling distance to the local attractions such as Loch Ness, Eilean Donan castle and Ben Nevis. Our family room offered a magnificent view of Loch Lochie and the mountains, it was magical waking up and immediately soaking in the amazing view. It snowed lightly while we were there which made it even more magical. Our room was clean and definitely large enough for a family of three. The only complaint we had was that there was a noisy wedding on the first night we stayed which made it difficult for us to sleep as our room backed onto the main lodge. The food in the restaurant is great, we had a nice breakfast and dinner each day. Overall we enjoyed our stay at Letterfinlay.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of lake - you are in the Scottish highlands! The views are magical, you will...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RaydarVictoria
Manager L, Manager at Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Sorry about the wedding noise that you experienced during your stay however it does not normally happen as wedding partys usually take over all the rooms as part of the occasion !
We are glad that this did not spoil your stay and thank you for the very kind comments
please come back again at any time. Kind regards
Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here one night with a itison voucher which i can highly recommend, We had a excellent time, apart from the weather but what can you do, the location is excellent too , what views, you have too see for yourself real life is better promise.

We were welcomed to the Hotel by Joan and we got a cream tea , Highly recommend Joan as a host thanks,

We then played pool, and had a game off darts in the lounge. Dinner was a sirloin burger which i can say it was beautiful you have too taste to see, in addition to this our breakfast was good too. one note to remember is if you don't like cheese or mushrooms tell them to hold them off the burger but is delicious, in case you are allergic thanks.

What more can I say, keep up the good work Joan , The room was nice, double Bed , and nice and clean too, for all these other reviews i am not sure but as for me look at my Google plus at ianmccully thanks, if you want any proof that this is a honest review thanks.

Room Tip: The room we were in was next to the road but can't say that made any difference i slept like a l...
2 Thank Ian M
its so nice to get such positive feedback from genuine reviewers ! Joan will be delighted to see such nice comments about her service and we would love to welcome you back at anytime
Kind regards
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,155 reviews
Glenspean Lodge Hotel
Glenspean Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Roybridge

Been to Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!