Ty Mawr Mansion
Conrah Hotel(Aberystwyth)
Plas Antaron Hotel(Aberystwyth)
Gwesty Cymru(Aberystwyth)
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Ty Mawr Mansion in September and had a lovely time.

The owner's love for his property, and the care he took with its restoration, really shines through when he shows guests around.

We stayed in the Matthew Rhys Suite, which is effectively an annexe, just next to the free-range hens which provide their eggs for the cooking. The bed was comfortable and feather/down duvet and pillows replaced immediately I asked by good quality fibre pillows and blankets. (My husband had booked and forgot to mention that I have a feather allergy).

There was a desk, intermittent wi-fi and a TV and two sofas. (We also had difficulty getting a signal on our mobiles which are with different networks so probably a difficult area for connectivity) And even with the addition of a wardrobe and two sets of chests of drawers, there was plenty of room to maneuver a wheel chair.

The bathroom was a wetroom with a free-standing roll top bath and an enormous wet room type shower with plenty of room for a wheelchair. (Though anyone assisting a wheelchair user in the shower would get wet too)

We ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel and can understand why this is a destination restaurant. The food is locally sourced where possible - see the hens - and well worth its two rosettes.
We had the 3 course Set Dinner as it offered enough choice and good value. We had excellent steaks and the chicken-liver parfait is sublime. I was too full after two courses to do justice to a pudding but they were happy to bring me exactly what I asked for - a single scoop of home-made ice cream. (I often find that the chef wants to add fol-de-rols and biscuits or sends out two/three scoops which are then wasted)
Breakfast was all freshly cooked though there is also a small buffet with homemade granola as well as other cereals, yoghurt and fruit compote. And the most wonderful home-made croissants which were better than the ones we had in France last year! In fact, all the bread is really good and made by the owner's wife each day.

We will return to this hotel again on our next trip to Wales.

Room Tip: Ask for the Matthew Rhys Suite if you have mobility issues or can't use stairs.
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Booked this hotel last minute, and must say so glad we did. I rang up the day before and knew from my conversation with Martin who was so friendly that we would feel very much at home here. Had a conducted tour around the hotel which was really interesting. The icing on the cake was that we were upgraded to a suite which was unexpected. The evening meal was very very good, and for us to say that, is really something, as my husband is so critical when it comes to food. Wine not overpriced either. All in all a beautiful relaxed place to stay.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We spent a wonderful day at Ty Mawr Mansion on a Bird of Prey Experience we acquired at a charity auction. Martin was there to welcome us on our arrival and we continued to feel very well looked after throughout our day there- we had a superb lunch, seated by the window overlooking grounds, it's a beautiful house. We didn't stay overnight so can only comment on what we experienced during our day there but it has made me want to go back again.

1  Thank sharonwit17
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Ty Mawr is a beautiful house in a lovely location, and we really appreciated all that Martin and Catherine have done to rescue this fantastic building from decline, decorate and furnish it and reinvent it as a luxury hotel. Our suite was very well equipped and I did love the fabulous bathroom. However considering how much we paid for dinner, bed and breakfast, we felt there were a couple of areas where it wasn't quite on the money. The food was good, but not on a par with a couple of the other restaurants we've tried from the 'Welsh Rarebits' website and book in which Ty Mawr is included.The owners celebrate the fact that they don't do weddings, so individual guests don't need to feel that they are inconvenienced by the demands of a big function going on during their stay, but we were rushed in to eat not long after our arrival ahead of a shooting party, then had a real mix-up over our drinks orders and a long wait for dessert. Much more frustrating, however, was discovering that breakfast finished at 9.30 on a Saturday morning - we did arrive in the dining room ten minutes before that but were the last people being served, and not only was the buffet cleared away while we were eating our first course, so that we had to ask for juice and marmalade to be brought back after we'd had our cooked course, but the waitress's manner as she did this was unfriendly almost to the point of rudeness. The owner's warm welcome on our arrival did not make up for the feeling that we were being chased off the premises. Ironically, there was a letter on the bed inviting us to relax and unwind... relaxing it wasn't, I'm afraid, and certainly not the country house experience that I would expect for the price we were paying. Even more frustrating was to walk round nearby Aberaeron later in the morning and see guests at the Harbour Hotel still tucking in to their toast and marmalade at 11 o'clock.

3  Thank Clare S
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Yes, I do class myself as Mr Picky - and the majority of the time it's warranted but I cannot find fault with Ty Mawr - a truly remarkable experience.
Martin and his good lady have spent 9 pain staking years producing what can only be classed as a 5* establishment. We stayed in the Sienna Miller suite (there are 7 others I believe) all named after the cast of a locally filmed movie stayed there some time ago. And you can see why they chose it. The food and service was exceptional, top class. And the welcome from the first moment through to the last (we stayed for three nights) was nothing short of fabulous but not over bearing. Martin has a way about him that is sadly lacking in general. He is the most engaging individual I have had the pleasure in meeting for a long time.
As to the location, quite beautiful. Lovely grounds, great outlook and a mansion fit for a King & Queen - that's how we felt.
It is rare for me personally to leave a place with a lump in my throat but I felt like I was leaving a friend. Having read the raft of positive reviews pre-booking I was cautiously optimistic. I was blown away - and the comments that class this establishment as a hidden jewel are spot on. If you want to be thoroughly spoilt then visit Ty Mawr Mansion.
I could go on with superlatives but I'll leave it to you to experience an exceptional time.
NB: There's also a 27 seater cinema in the basement!

2  Thank MikeL999