“Excellent dinner and breakfast in convenient town centre location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bear Hotel

The Bear Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowbridge
Harlech
“Excellent dinner and breakfast in convenient town centre location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed the food here, the freshly cooked breakfast was particularly good. Our room, whilst quite spacious and bucket decorated with a good shower, had no view except a fire escape and a noisy air conditioning unit. Avoid room 12! It was dark and gloomy.

• Stayed June 2013
TC_Hotel_Wales, Owner at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed the food, but disappointed that you felt the room was dark and gloomy.

We have an on-going refurbishment plan and always try to ensure that every room at the hotel is of the highest standard. However, the Bear is an old coaching inn with many architectural challenges.

Your comments are invaluable to us and fixing the air conditioning unit will be a priority.
We hope this won’t discourage you from visiting again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Miskin, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

We had very poor customer service (cold and unfriendly) when my mother and I went here for lunch. Also the wrap we ordered was freezing cold as if straight from the fridge. They said there was nothing they could do about it! Truly awful. We won't be back.

• Stayed June 2013
TC_Hotel_Wales, Owner at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
We’re disappointed that did not experience the usual high standard of customer service normally evident at the Bear.

With regard to your meal, we are very proud of our 5 star food hygiene rating and fillings for wraps and sandwiches are correctly chilled prior to use. All our wraps are prepared freshly and served chilled, with the exception of the ones that are stated as being served hot on the menu.
Bristol UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Had lunch in The Bears' cellar restaurant. Varied menu good wine list. Two of s had the Red Thai curry great taste and good value for just under £10.00.
A very smartly refurbished environment made this a very pleasing venue. All staff were superb with a good understanding of what good customer service is about

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank FranceFansBristolUK
TC_Hotel_Wales, Owner at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We’re so pleased to hear you had a pleasant lunch and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I was pleased to be able to book a room for a night visiting my daughter and her family in Cowbridge - usually The Bear is fully booked for weddings when I want to come at a weekend.

I had the usual efficient and friendly reception both when I 'phoned and on arrival.

My Room (no. 6) was a reasonable size but very dark - the one window had plastic venetian blind type shutters which obscured much of the daylight, even when open. One of the things one has to accept in a building as old and quirky as The Bear.

Cleanliness was excellent and the bed was comfortable. Excellent shower.

Four of us dined in the bar on the Saturday evening. I was pleasantly surprised that it was buzzing to the right degree but not too busy or overcrowded. All our meals were very good, as were the two real ales (Gower Gold and Doom Bar) with which my son in law and I washed down the food. Service was beyond reproach.

Presumably because of a wedding and an anniversary party on the Saturday, Sunday's breakfast was served in the (? San Quentin) function suite. The quality of the (self-service) full breakfast was, as I've always found, superb, apart from over-cooked scrambled eggs (the only kind on offer). On the other hand bacon, sausage, mushrooms, and black pudding were as good as I've had anywhere.

The only real down-side of my stay was that the plates were cold - therefore so was my breakfast by the time I'd finished it. I've complained about this before, when breakfasting in the usual restaurant, and it really is time the hotel paid some attention. If food can be kept warm, so can plates - it isn't rocket science.

Nevertheless, what really makes this hotel is the genuine friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. None of this artificial "is everything alright for you" interruption of our meal for example, yet there was always someone keeping an eye open if we'd wanted anything. And although I only visit at most twice a year, Sian at reception when I checked out had remembered me and a few personal details. That makes all the difference.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
TC_Hotel_Wales, Owner at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send in your review.
We’re pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay.
Your comments have been noted and a plate warmer is on our wish list.

The team at The Bear pride themselves on their warm Welsh welcome, like yourself, we believe it makes all the difference. We hope to see you again soon.
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed at the Bear with 7 golfing friends last Wednesday evening.Our rooms were in the annexe at the rear of the. Hotel and were spotlessly clean,well equipped and quiet.We ate in the restaurant and all felt that the food was excellently cooked and presented by the friendly and personable staff.The fish and steak dishes were particularly good.After a good nights sleep we all ate a brilliant breakfast with great choices and perfectly cooked food.Service was always polite and friendly and we all look forward to staying again in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear courtyard are very quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
TC_Hotel_Wales, Owner at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thank you for posting your kind review. We’ve passed it on to the team and we all look forward to welcoming you and your golfing friends back again soon.
Cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

I took my mum here for her birthday (May 2013). Just one comment really, I ordered the pork and they had no apple sauce. They had run out. I felt disappointed that a restaurant of this calibre could not provide basic condiments!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Gabby5
TC_Hotel_Wales, Owner at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
We’re very sorry that we disappointed you on this occasion.
Fortunately running out of basic menu items does not happen very often but we can only apologise for this shortfall.
We hope you’ll give us the opportunity to show that this is not the normal standard of service at the hotel.
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

This is a review for the bar and restaurant area of the hotel. We arrived for a basic lunch on a sunny bank holiday, ordered a sandwich and a wrap and was instructed of a 30 minute wait...for a sandwich. The waitress (&none of the staff) were able to raise a smile, even to thank us for the order. One waitress even began to complain to some customers of her long hours without a break! A tad unprofessional I feel. The food took around 45 minutes. When it arrived my husbands wrap was wrong and it took all of a minute to get replaced, how did the original order take so long? My cheese and pickle sandwich was extremely basic, I could of made it myself better and the bread was stale. Meanwhile a couple across from us had to send their cokes back, as it was just soda and another couple were complaining how long their food was taking only to be told their order had been 'lost'. I understand it is a busy bank holiday weekend, but they seemed totally unprepared for what some business could of relished. I ate half my manky sandwich and couldn't wait to leave. Will not be going back ever.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrsRees86
Town_Country_Hotels, Owner at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thank you for your review, and I am sorry to learn that you were not completely happy with your lunch on Bank Holiday Monday.
It was certainly an unforeseen and unusually busy beautiful sunny day that brought out Cowbridge in its droves and caught us out on the day.
Unfortunately the Kitchen team was unable to keep up with the excessive orders hence the 40 minute delay but this was not from the want of trying.
I’m sorry that your grievances were not able to be dealt with on the day and I and the whole team feel saddened that your lasting impression is not one of our usual friendly standards. Your issues have been raised with all the service staff and hopefully restored back to a customer focused team.
I thank you once again for your customer feedback as it is important to us and your comments will be actioned upon.
I do hope that you allow us the opportunity to show this isn’t our normal standard of service and that we have learnt from the manic Bank Holiday Monday.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowbridge
Miskin Manor Hotel and Health Club
#1 of 1 in Llantwit Major
Court Colman Manor
Court Colman Manor
#4 of 9 in Bridgend

Been to The Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!