“poor value for money”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowbridge
wales
“poor value for money”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Visited for coffee and lunch as part of a slimming group.Friendly staff trying their best to be helpful.Very little choice of healthy options lunch menu.Jacket potatoes with a choice of fillings,soup which was served luke warm to one group member,and caesar salad with a choice of meats.The chicken caesar consisted of six large limp lettuce leaves with approximately four ounces of chicken decorating the top of the salad,with croutons,and small pots of salad dressing and grated cheese.All this for the price of £9.95!!!
Left the restaurant still feeling hungry and very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank nomadvaleofglamorgan
ScottD839, Guest Relations Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we value all feedback both the good and the not so good as it is only with this that we can further improve the service offered to our customers.

Your comments concerning your meal have been noted and passed onto our Food & Beverage Manager.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards,
Scott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Leigh-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed in the Bear for a few weeks over the Xmas/New Year period. The staff are very friendly and can't do enough for you. The hotel is a mix of old and new - I prefer the new so stayed in the annex at the rear of the building. There is a great on-site car park which gives easy access to the hotel and has a gate code so space is almost always available. Food here is a bit expensive for the menu but that's probably a reflection on the surrounding area that dictates pricing.
All in all, it's a 3 star hotel and a reasonably comfortable one at that!

Room Tip: Rear of hotel when nothing on in the function suite
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve O
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we value all feedback given to the hotel as it is only with this that we can further improve for our guests.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall but am disappointed that you find out food offering over priced. All of our food is cooked fresh to order and we believe that our menu and pricing are fair for the product that we offer.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Kind Regards,
Scott
Wales
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I visited here mid week for lunch with my parents. The decor is nice, with comfy sofas, chairs and chesterfields with a focal fireplace.

The food arrived quite quickly and was nicely cooked and of ample portions at a reasonable price. My parents could not finish their meals but I opted for a 'lighter bite' option which was more than adequate.

I did have to try the desert of orange and grand mariner brûlée which was very nice.

All in all a pleasant lunch and good menu choices. I'm not sure about the weekends but the day we went on a Tuesday was certainly a 'ladies who lunch' type of place, judging by the clientele, but I would recommend it as my parents and myself all enjoyed our food and myself being a vegetarian found the menu satisfying enough.

Would go again, would recommend.

Stayed February 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I'm loathed to post this review as it's already a not very well kept secret! But in the interests of the traveller code of honesty I have to tell you this is THE place to go for Sunday lunch! Delicious! Book ahead.

Oh and there's parking rind the back. Go down the high street and take the right turn down the lane after the pub, follow the lane around and you'll see the car park.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Very old charming hotel with a great atmosphere.

Would defintely recommend this hotel for amazing food and great service. You can eat in the main pub or in the historic cellars.

The parking is free and is situated behind the pub so no problems with worrying to park your car. The hotel has many restaurants nearby in the high street and even a Waitrose close buy.

Worth a visit!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We had heard such good things about this place that when we finally made it we were bitterly disappointed and couldn't wait to leave.

When we arrived we wanted dinner (a bar meal) in the bar, but we were told that all the tables were either occupied or reserved. So we were shunted into the grill room and restaurant, and left alone. Although there were not so many people in the grill room, there were no empty tables, and we had to wait a few minutes until one came available. The place was certainly not busy.

Throughout the time we were in the grill room the staff were watching the Man Utd v Sunderland game (you can tell now which night it was), and they ignored most of the customers, except one, who turned out to be a staff member on his day off. In fact it was hilarious to watch the staff serving people - they never actually looked at the customers as they were so intent on watching the TV

The service from the waitress we had was appalling. She was so off hand, dismissive, and laissez faire about her job. Not only to us but to the other guests too.

The starters we ordered were interesting, but certainly not great.

Our main courses were a very long time arriving, and the waitress just shrugged her shoulders when we asked if the kitchen had a problem. There still weren't actually many people in either the bar or the grill room - we looked!

I had ordered fish and chips for the main course - it was hard to find any fish in the batter - I mean there was not much fish present in what was a large piece of batter. And the chips were awful - I suspect that they were of the so called "reconstituted type", which are made mainly from wheat. I left my chips, as did my son, who had ordered the ale and steak pie. Neither me nor my son could actually eat the chips, they were so lacking in taste. They certainly didn't taste like chips. Again the waitress just shrugged her shoulders when we told her that we could not eat the chips because they were so disgusting.

In fact, although we will never darken the doorstep of The Bear again, we did laugh a lot when we left the grill room and restaurant. Our visit had just been like being in a sketch in an episode of Little Britain - "Whatever!!! - Computer says No!". For that reason alone, our visit was priceless.

In fact, I have waited some days before writing this review as I wanted to reflect on the visit to The Bear before putting pen to paper. It was the right decision to delay writing the review, as if I had written the review earlier I do not believe that I would have been quite so objective.

Our recommendation is "Stay away, unless you want to find out what it is like to be in a sketch in Little Britain".

If the manager of The Bear reads this I can imagine her/him adopting the role of Vicky Pollard and saying, "Oh! Oooo. I can't just believe that you just said that!"

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank GwynRoberts
Pembrokeshire
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

The building is fascinating, with lots of stairs and small rooms. Plenty of fireplaces and other features. Great car park at the rear - a necessity in busy Cowbridge. Excellent reception staff. The room was comfortable and made best use of the old building. However, that meant that the bathroom was small and cold. A new electric mirror and some heating would be a cheap improvement. We could not have dinner, as they were fully booked, but a reservation was made for us at Oscars next door; which is part of the hotel ownership, and was a fabulous restaurant. We did find that the bar areas were noisy, with large groups of local families and young children being allowed to run around. Not the relaxing atmosphere we wanted. The breakfast was fine, but nothing special. I did think the £110 rate was too high and would only return if it was cheaper

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowbridge
Coed-Y-Mwstwr Hotel
#1 of 8 in Bridgend
New House Country Hotel
New House Country Hotel
#2 of 73 in Cardiff

Been to The Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!