“Poor service”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cowbridge
Llantwit Major, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We visited the Bear on Saturday evening, we arrived at 6 pm when the resturant opened, there was only my husband and myself in the resturant we ordered our meal but it didn't arrive until 6.50 which was unacceptable, we had to try and catch the attention of one of the waitresses to get another drink. My next door neighbour was going to the bear later that evening with family, and she said the waited 1 hour for their meal, and waited ages for drinks. Meal was good but don't think we'll be going back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
ScottD839, Guest Relations Manager at The Bear Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time post your review, we appreciate all feedback both the good and the not so good as it is only with this feedback that we can further improve the service we offer to our customers.

I am sorry to hear that your experience when dining at the Bear Hotel was not a very positive one.

We do always have a Manager on duty and should you have any issues at all please ask to speak to the Duty Manager who will be very pleased to listen and assist in any way we can to rectify your issues.

I would value the opportunity to discuss your comments further with you and if you would wish to do so please contact me on 01446 774814 at your convenience.

Scott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

WE are here pratically every week the roast dinner is simply to die for & is consistent week in week out - serve some great beers & the staff are extremely helpful - we just love it & would highly recommended the roast beef

Room Tip: Go early to avoid a wait
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jeff h
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review of the Bear Hotel and our Sunday Lunch. I will be sure to pass your comments onto the rest of the team who will be delighted to read them.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I called in here for lunch on Saturday. A friendly staff member diverted us to the grill bar. Here a polite member of staff apologised for it being busy but offered us a table where possible. It was comfy and cosy, the food was reasonably priced and arrived in a decent amount of time. My girlfriend had gammon which was huge and I had the fish and chips. The only negative I have is that the plates and food could have been warmer, however for taste and portion size the meals were great. Will definitely visit again as had great value for money too.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable and tasty meal at the hotel, however I have taken on board your comments concerning the plates & food not being hot enough and will ensure that this is feedback is passed onto our Chefs.

Many thanks, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

wales
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Visited for coffee and lunch as part of a slimming group.Friendly staff trying their best to be helpful.Very little choice of healthy options lunch menu.Jacket potatoes with a choice of fillings,soup which was served luke warm to one group member,and caesar salad with a choice of meats.The chicken caesar consisted of six large limp lettuce leaves with approximately four ounces of chicken decorating the top of the salad,with croutons,and small pots of salad dressing and grated cheese.All this for the price of £9.95!!!
Left the restaurant still feeling hungry and very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank nomadvaleofglamorgan
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we value all feedback both the good and the not so good as it is only with this that we can further improve the service offered to our customers.

Your comments concerning your meal have been noted and passed onto our Food & Beverage Manager.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Leigh-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed in the Bear for a few weeks over the Xmas/New Year period. The staff are very friendly and can't do enough for you. The hotel is a mix of old and new - I prefer the new so stayed in the annex at the rear of the building. There is a great on-site car park which gives easy access to the hotel and has a gate code so space is almost always available. Food here is a bit expensive for the menu but that's probably a reflection on the surrounding area that dictates pricing.
All in all, it's a 3 star hotel and a reasonably comfortable one at that!

Room Tip: Rear of hotel when nothing on in the function suite
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve O
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we value all feedback given to the hotel as it is only with this that we can further improve for our guests.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall but am disappointed that you find out food offering over priced. All of our food is cooked fresh to order and we believe that our menu and pricing are fair for the product that we offer.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Wales
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I visited here mid week for lunch with my parents. The decor is nice, with comfy sofas, chairs and chesterfields with a focal fireplace.

The food arrived quite quickly and was nicely cooked and of ample portions at a reasonable price. My parents could not finish their meals but I opted for a 'lighter bite' option which was more than adequate.

I did have to try the desert of orange and grand mariner brûlée which was very nice.

All in all a pleasant lunch and good menu choices. I'm not sure about the weekends but the day we went on a Tuesday was certainly a 'ladies who lunch' type of place, judging by the clientele, but I would recommend it as my parents and myself all enjoyed our food and myself being a vegetarian found the menu satisfying enough.

Would go again, would recommend.

Stayed February 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I'm loathed to post this review as it's already a not very well kept secret! But in the interests of the traveller code of honesty I have to tell you this is THE place to go for Sunday lunch! Delicious! Book ahead.

Oh and there's parking rind the back. Go down the high street and take the right turn down the lane after the pub, follow the lane around and you'll see the car park.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowbridge
Miskin Manor Hotel and Health Club
#1 of 1 in Llantwit Major
Court Colman Manor
Court Colman Manor
#4 of 8 in Bridgend

Been to The Bear Hotel? Share your experiences!