“New ownership”

Ranked #2 of 2 New Denver B&B and Inns
New Denver
“New ownership”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

All reviews prior to Fall 2011 should be disregarded. The Valhalla Inn is under new ownership, and extensive renovations to facilities and rooms have taken place.

On January 27th, 2013 I inspected the Inn to see if it would be suitable for housing the many guests coming to town for our Winter Blues Boogie. Here are my findings and assessment:

The menu is complete and very reasonable, and the owners are eager to establish a good reputation for the Inn. I tried to go to breakfast this morning, but got there prior to opening time. I did inspect the menu yesterday, and there is a wide variety of offerings for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Note: Dining room does not open until10:00 AM during winter hours, except Sundays.

I recently inspected the rooms, and they are neat, clean, freshly painted and in good working order.

In all, it is a very reasonable, clean and friendly lodging alternative for New Denver.

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask your own questions.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank DickC27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My husband and I have just come back from staying at the Valhalla Inn in New Denver. I read all the reviews before leaving home and had decided on staying somewhere else based on the mediocre reviews that it received. Unknowing to me my husband had already booked us a 2-day stay here. This hotel has just recently been purchased by new owners all of whom work in the hotel.. One of the relatives is the only person working at the front desk and seems to have limited English skills so one must be patient. I have both positive and negative comments so will post both. On the negative side: the hotel is not a new building so the hallsways are narrow and the flooring is somewhat askew in places. The walls are paper thin and we could hear people in the next room as well as in the hallway. An upgrade in the decorating is much needed. There is no air-conditioning. The room itself was "old" and the bathroom had the old sandstone/pink tub etc. No place for a hairdryer - I couldn't find a plug-in. The bedside lamps had bulbs that were about 15watt - we ended up taking off the shades to read at night. There is no elevator to the 2nd floor so you have to carry up your bags. We did not eat supper here but did eat breakfast here - big mistake. I would highly reccommend eating somewhere else as we waited 25mins for eggs, etc and we were the only ones who hadn't been served - the kitchen is very slow and the food when we got it was terrible - cold, dry and greasy. I could have served 12 people a hot breakfast at home in less time. Thank goodness the waitress kept us supplied with coffee and laughs. On the postive side: our rooms had 2 Queen sized beds which seemed to be new, the room was immaculately clean, The bedding/towels were clean and fresh. The bathroom had a window that opened but no extractor fan, We had a large window which opened and had screens overlooking a garden. Our room was quiet in the evening. We could hear the creek and the birds singing. I would stay here again but wouldn't eat here. We ended up eating at the Golf course 2 miles up the road - it was faboulous and I will post a review on that.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank phoebe3
Springville, Utah
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I have stayed here a couple of times, both with small groups of motorcyclists here to enjoy the excellent roads in the area. The #2 and #3 riding roads in Canada are nearby. The first time, the owner reserved an area of the parking lot for our bikes, which kept them safe from cars but also used the space far more efficiently. And made us feel appreciated.

This last time, I must say I have never been spoiled so shamelessly as I was here. Maggie went the extra mile (er, kilometer) to make us happy. She mentioned that making her guests smile was her desire in running the place. That attitude means an awful lot to me as a guest. Even now, she's hanging on to some postcards I wrote to friends, and will mail them as soon as the Canada Post strike is over.

At some point, the Valhalla Inn will probably have to bite the bullet and install air conditioning, but for now, the windows open and help keep it cool. The only other thing lacking was a microwave; that would be much cheaper, faster, and easier to fix. I don't know when this place was built, but the lack of A/C and the pink bathtub might be clues. In any case, everything in the room worked well.

The bed was comfortable, the place was clean and quiet. Electric baseboard heat is silent, so the only sound at night was the fridge purring away.

They need to have a geek come in and fix their wireless network. When I could connect, it worked wonderfully, a surprise for such a rural area, but often I could not connect, and it seemed to go away completely at night. Perhaps the router is plugged into the same socket as the office lights?

The food is great, and the modest menu includes things you don't see everywhere, like a Monte Cristo sandwich. Everything I've eaten there has been delicious. The bar has great service, a pool table, and a well-stocked jukebox.

I look forward to next year's visit!

Room Tip: Reserve in advance!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
#3 of 8 in Nakusp
Kaslo Manor Lodge
Kaslo Manor Lodge
#7 of 7 in Kaslo

Been to The Valhalla Inn? Share your experiences!