“Charge for wifi” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Calgary, Canada
“Charge for wifi”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

While in New Denver for a week, I had occasion to visit nuru coffee shop daily for coffee, and sometimes twice daily including lunch. The coffee and pastries are excellent; lunches mixed. The smoked salmon plate was delicious; the hummus plate mediocre. The hummus was bland and watery, with little of interest in accompaniment.
What surprised me, was unlike any other coffee shop I have ever been in, there was a $2 charge for wifi. This wouldn't have been so bad; except that my daughter accompanied me, and also attended daily with her friend. As I was paying for her lunches, I felt it was OK to give her the wifi code I had paid for. While we were eating, the wifi cut out, and she and I were sternly admonished not to share the code. This required me to pay yet another $2 for the new code, and this persisted all week. When one is spending $15-$20 a day in a restaurant, this seems like needless nickel and dining, and the stern admonishment to customers who were spending a good deal of money was inappropriate.
Food gets 4 stars; wifi policy zero.

• Visited August 2013